1237 users online (272 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FL - Tia McShane, 11, Pensacola, 2006

ESCAMBIA COUNTY - Escambia County Investigators are trying to figure out what happened to a disabled girl missing for years.

11 year old Tia McShane hasn't been seen since 2006, but her father did not learn that until this summer when his ex wife, who had custody of their two children, passed away in Mobile.

(snip)

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_s...id_11170.shtml

ECSO Press Release: On August 30, 2010 the Escambia Sheriff’s Office responded to 6XXX Chicago Ave in reference to a missing person. Contact was made with William McShane (37) who stated that his daughter was missing. McShane stated to deputies that he had been separated from his wife, Alicia McShane for several years. He stated that on 7/27/10 he found out that his wife had died in June in Mobile Al. McShane stated he located his son in Pensacola who was in the custody of his wife’s friend and retrieved him. McShane stated that no one seemed to know the whereabouts of his daughter, eleven year old Tia McShane. William McShane stated that Tia is confined to a wheelchair and has cerebral palsy.

Friends told McShane that the mother had placed the child in foster care in Alabama due to the medical needs of the child. Attempts to locate the child by way of the Department of Children and Families, Social Security Office and the Medicare Office met with no results.Escambia Sheriff Missing Person’s Investigator Troy Brown was assigned the case and contacted the Alabama Department of Human Resources who advised that the father would need to file a petition with DFC in Florida to legally locate his daughter. Mr. McShane advised that he would go that route and contact the Sheriff’s Office at a later date if the search turned up nothing.

On 09/27/2010 Mr. McShane contacted the Sheriff’s Office and advised that Alabama had no record of Tia in their system. Investigator Brown and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement had contacted the Alabama Bureau of Investigation who advised that Tia was not in any legal foster care in their state. She is also not in any type of legal foster care in Florida.The child was last seen living on Continental Court in Pensacola around the fall of 2006. Her Medicaid has not been used since 2006 and this was the last time a doctor visit was made.

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of Tia or have any information that may help investigators with this case are asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 850-436-9620 and get in contact with Investigator Brown. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they can call Crime Stoppers at 850-433-STOP.

http://ricksblog.biz/?p=12807
    Last edited by hoppyfrog; 09-30-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: remove address

“We’re kind of playing catch-up,” Brown said. “We can’t really identify anyone that’s seen the child within the last two years.”

The last time there was a record of Tia having any kind of medical treatment was at Sacred Heart Hospital in 2005.

“That’s the reason we’re kind of in a stealth mode to start beating the streets now, looking at prior addresses, family members, witnesses, neighbors and schools and so on and so forth,” said Brown.

Brown is hoping that someone who crossed paths with Tia’s mother may have offered help in caring for the girl. If that’s the case, they now want them to come forward. Meanwhile, McShane is staying optimistic and hoping for her safe return.
    http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/loca...ssing-daughter

Since Tia was disabled, she may have been receiving some sort of monthly payments. I wonder what the status of that is?

I went to google maps and Continental Court in Pensacola is a very short street, a cul-de-sac with like 9 or 10 houses on it. Behind one side of the street is what looks like a heavily wooded area.

It could have been that the child died of natural causes, mother either panicked or decided she wanted the benefits to continue and disposed of Tia in the woods there (or any other place in and around Pensacola).

Also, when the mother moved to Mobile, I wonder if she listed any children as residing with her in any lease papers.

NOT GOOD!

Why did this man not keep track of where his kids were? Just because him and his wife divorced doesn't mean anything, was he providing support for this child? If the mom had not passed away no one would still know she is missing. This is sickening.
    JUSTICE IS COMING HALEIGH AND CAYLEE

YOU GOT TO LOVE JUDGE STRICKLAND
    At it's core, the defense counsel's motion accuses the undersigned of being a "self aggrandizing media hound". Indeed. The irony is rich.

Motion granted.

Stan Strickland
    Circuit Judge

So did the father not have visitation or contact with these children at all?

I agree with you, webrocket, that maybe the child died and the mother panicked or something. Though caring for 2 children on her own and one with seemingly severe physical needs may have taken its toll and she either harmed Tia or gave her to someone.

Prayers for her and her family!

When I was young a friend of mine suffered a mental break and his parents couldn't pay for his care so they made him a ward of the state so he could be put in an institution. I don't know if they still do this but would she have had to put her in foster care for the her to be awarded to the state? Could she be in an institution?

At it's core, the defense counsel's motion accuses the undersigned of being a "self aggrandizing media hound". Indeed. The irony is rich.

Motion granted.

Stan Strickland
    Circuit Judge

The state would still have record of her and where she is. She would have had to have been entered in to the system, regardless of whether she went to foster care or an institution. It doesn't sound like they have any idea record of her.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly1978 View Post
    NOT GOOD!

Why did this man not keep track of where his kids were? Just because him and his wife divorced doesn't mean anything, was he providing support for this child? If the mom had not passed away no one would still know she is missing. This is sickening.
    It looks like there is a restraining order between the parents (petitioned by the mom), and so it's possible that this is the reason he didn't see the kids.

http://www.escambiaclerk.com/xml/xml...se_id=44450206

NOT GOOD!

it might be tempting to blame the father but we do not know the circumstances surrounding their relationship or that with the kids. for example, he might have been paying support all along but through probation and not to the mother directly.

at least he reached out as soon as he found out she passed away and reported that Tia was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by hollye View Post
    The state would still have record of her and where she is. She would have had to have been entered in to the system, regardless of whether she went to foster care or an institution. It doesn't sound like they have any idea record of her.
    well I live in Alabaama and our child agencies, suck to say the least. Its very rare that the left hand even knows what the right hand is going, so if she was put in foster care or institutionalized and they have no record of it I would not be shocked. What would shock me is if they had thier act together and new where she was. Then I would be shocked.

Motion granted.

Stan Strickland
    Circuit Judge

well I live in Alabaama and our child agencies, suck to say the least. Its very rare that the left hand even knows what the right hand is going, so if she was put in foster care or institutionalized and they have no record of it I would not be shocked. What would shock me is if they had thier act together and new where she was. Then I would be shocked.
    Good to know! I would think they would have their act together a little bit better in this day and age.

Interesting about the restraining order! That could definitely explain the lack of knowledge on the father's part for not having seen or spoken with his children in over 4 years.

I wonder what knowledge the brother has of when his sister was last seen. The news article says that the last anyone saw her was approximately 2008. However, the last that she received medical care and or money from the state was 2006.

I wonder if the father is able to find a more current photo of Tia or if her mother's family can provide one, since the ones that the father has are from 8 years ago. It would be near impossible for people to know whether they have seen her, based on a photo from when she was little more than a baby.

It's the same thing in FL.

O/T - where do you live in AL? I live in Lower Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by hollye View Post
    I wonder what knowledge the brother has of when his sister was last seen. The news article says that the last anyone saw her was approximately 2008. However, the last that she received medical care and or money from the state was 2006.

I wonder if the father is able to find a more current photo of Tia or if her mother's family can provide one, since the ones that the father has are from 8 years ago. It would be near impossible for people to know whether they have seen her, based on a photo from when she was little more than a baby.
    It really concerns me that the last Medicaid was in 2006 -- if someone really did see her in 2008, does that mean she wasn't receiving regular medical care? Also, I think the Medicaid records provide more support that she is not in state custody in either state, cuz they would definitely be tapping into Medicaid to support her care.

It sounds like she has severe CP, if she uses a wheelchair. I hope LE has checked with United Cerebal Palsy (a local agency) to see if she was a client of theirs. Also, was she in school? If she had severe CP, she most likely would have attended Escambia Westgate.

So many questions in this case!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast