754 users online (92 members and 662 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Perodicticus potto View Post
    Ravi wasn't charged with contributing to Clementi's death, so I'm not sure how your comment is relevant. But at any rate, saying that Clementi couldn't have been devastated by Ravi's actions because of his "history of exhibitionism" (assuming that said "history" actually existed -- I can't recall seeing it mentioned by any reliable source) is like saying a rape victim can't really be devastated because she wasn't a virgin at the time of the assault.
    Or it was directly related to his mother who rejected him harshly.

As a gay man Tyler's death had a strong impact on me. As you are not a member of my community you don't know what exhibitionism I'm referring to, but it exists. I don't mention it to disparage Tyler, actually quite the opposite, I admire his courage and weep at his tragic senseless ultimate decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HastingsChi View Post
    As you are not a member of my community
    How do you know?

Today is the 4th anniversary of Tyler's death.

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/be-...ic&oa_h=839idd

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    comment from Tyler's mother:

Joe and I are not legal experts so we cannot interpret the law. All we can do is try to understand and deal with are the facts as we know them now.

We know that Tyler’s private moments were stolen from him and used to humiliate him. His life was forever affected and the lives of those who knew and loved him have been forever changed.

In light of today’s decision, we will do what we encourage all people to do before they push that send button, and that is to pause and consider the implications of their message. Does it encourage and build someone up or does it destroy and harm another person?

Our world moves very fast which pushes us to be impulsively spontaneous and sometimes harsh.

Today’s decision shows us how much more work there is to be done, and will push us forward with stronger determination to create a kinder more empathic society where every person is valued and respected. We will continue to work even harder sharing Tyler’s story through the Tyler Clementi Foundation and our many partners.

http://nj1015.com/tyler-clementis-mo...ckback=tsmclip

student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Ravi guilty of major charges

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    [...]
    The ruling continued, “The prosecutor aggressively pressed this point to the jury in her eloquent closing argument. It is unreasonable to expect a rational juror to remain unaffected by this evidence.”

Ravi’s family praised the ruling, which tosses completely the four most serious felonies, all for bias intimidation.

Prosecutors can retry Ravi on the remaining 11 counts, which include invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension.

But Ravi, who has already served 20 days of 30-day sentence, would not face any further jail time.

Prosecutors also have 20 days to decide whether to appeal to New Jersey’s highest court.

“It’s far from over,” Ravi’s attorney Steven Altman told nj.com. “I’m extraordinarily pleased with the decision. I haven’t spoken with the Ravi family yet, but I can only imagine they’re pleased as well.”
    [...]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kimi_SFC; 09-10-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Missing words
    findsierralamar.com
    #JusticeForSierraLaMar #JusticeForLittleChris #JusticeForSierah #JusticeForMalik #JusticeForAnGelica #JusticeForErin #JusticeForGabbi #JusticeForBecky #JusticeForKarina #JusticeForCharli #JusticeForJoshua #JusticeForCooper #JusticeForBella #JusticeForHeatherElvis #JusticeForJenise #JusticeForOmaree #JusticeForTristan #JusticeForJordyn
    #FindSierraLaMar #FindKatelin #FindRelishaRudd #FindBabyDelano #FindBabyDaphne #FindMyraLewis #FindDeOrr

#LongLiveWebSleuths
    @

September 9, 2016
    5:07 PM EDT UPDATED

New trial ordered in Rutgers webcam case

A new trial was ordered Friday for a former Rutgers University student whose roommate killed himself after being captured on a webcam kissing another man, with a New Jersey appeals court throwing out his 15-count conviction.

The three-judge panel dismissed four bias intimidation counts against Dharun Ravi because of a change in state law since Ravi's 2012 trial after the death of Tyler Clementi, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge.

The judges ordered a new trial on other counts including invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension because, they wrote, the evidence prosecutors used to prove the bias charges "tainted the jury's verdict on the remaining charges, depriving defendant of his constitutional right to a fair trial."

<SNIP>

Ravi faced up to 10 years in prison but was sentenced to 30 days in county jail plus three years' probation and community service. He ended up serving 20 days.

"The social environment that transformed a private act of sexual intimacy into a grotesque voyeuristic spectacle must be unequivocally condemned in the strongest possible way," the judges wrote. "The fact that this occurred in a university dormitory, housing first-year college students, only exacerbates our collective sense of disbelief and disorientation."

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/local-news/204019768-story

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55