1042 users online (219 members and 823 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1338
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161

    Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

    Please continue here.

    Thread 1


    Salem
    Last edited by bessie; 03-14-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: repaired link

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,770
    New article regarding Sonia's funeral and the case...

    Although a month has gone by, Orangeville Police Chief Joe Tomei said Monday that tips continue to come from the public almost daily. He said every one of the tips is being followed diligently.

    Why has there been no further information? “The forensics (of the scenes) is very detailed. It’s not like CSI (on TV),” he said.


    http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-0...er_victim.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    With regards to Sonia's clothes I think I remember on the news the night they were found was north of Oville on highway 10....which is the total opposite direction of where they found her body.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by katecav View Post
    With regards to Sonia's clothes I think I remember on the news the night they were found was north of Oville on highway 10....which is the total opposite direction of where they found her body.


    I don't recall LE saying that the clothes they found north of Orangeville as
    belonging to Sonia.

    They just stated that clothes were found but they were not identified.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,247
    Quote Originally Posted by katecav View Post
    With regards to Sonia's clothes I think I remember on the news the night they were found was north of Oville on highway 10....which is the total opposite direction of where they found her body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    I don't recall LE saying that the clothes they found north of Orangeville as
    belonging to Sonia.

    They just stated that clothes were found but they were not identified.
    I wondered if the clothes found might be bloody clothes, belong to the murderer(s).

    Where is Oville? Is Highway #10 a main travel highway?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I wondered if the clothes found might be bloody clothes, belong to the murderer(s).

    Where is Oville? Is Highway #10 a main travel highway?


    Oville I believe is just a shortform for Orangeville.

    Highway 10 is a main traveled highway from Mississauga north to
    Collingwood. With probably the most traffic from mississauga to Orangeville

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    Oville I believe is just a shortform for Orangeville.

    Highway 10 is a main traveled highway from Mississauga north to
    Collingwood. With probably the most traffic from mississauga to Orangeville
    That could explain why one poster on FB claimed that LE was stopping cars on highway 26. It's here, under a September 1, 2010 post. The claim was made September 4, 2010:

    http://www.facebook.com/BlueMountain?v=wallheading
    Last edited by Summersolstice; 09-30-2010 at 10:17 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
    New article regarding Sonia's funeral and the case...

    Although a month has gone by, Orangeville Police Chief Joe Tomei said Monday that tips continue to come from the public almost daily. He said every one of the tips is being followed diligently.

    Why has there been no further information? “The forensics (of the scenes) is very detailed. It’s not like CSI (on TV),” he said.


    http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-0...er_victim.html
    Sgt. Sharlene Brooks of the Delta Police in B.C. admitted on TV that LE are withholding some information in the murder of Laura Szendrei. I can't find that interview now, but it seems like a good way of acknowledging the public's concern about the case, while maintaining the integrity of the investigation. Perhaps Sgt. Brooks' method of communicating to the public should be adopted by LE elsewhere. Seems like a good way to communicate in the day and age of WS, Twitter, FB, etc. People are more tuned in to these cases than ever before.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Summersolstice View Post
    That could explain why one poster on FB claimed that LE was stopping cars on highway 26. It's here, under a September 1, 2010 post. The claim was made September 4, 2010:

    http://www.facebook.com/BlueMountain?v=wallheading
    Not sure that would have had anything to do with the seach for Sonia. OPP stopping cars on the way into a tourist destination on the Friday of a long holiday weekend is pretty common IMO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    Oville I believe is just a shortform for Orangeville.

    Highway 10 is a main traveled highway from Mississauga north to
    Collingwood. With probably the most traffic from mississauga to Orangeville
    Sorry for the confusion everyone, Oville is Orangeville the clothes were found near a small town called Camilla which only has a few houses and is off Hwy 10. Hwy 10 is very busy especially on a long weekend as it goes all the way up to Owen Sound/Sauble Beach area which is very popular in the summer months.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,819
    Would that be Sauble Beach in Collingwood near Blue Mountain where tons of new development has been in the works?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Would that be Sauble Beach in Collingwood near Blue Mountain where tons of new development has been in the works?
    Sauble Beach is a small town close to Collingwood both are about 60-90 minutes from Orangeville.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Would that be Sauble Beach in Collingwood near Blue Mountain where tons of new development has been in the works?

    Yes it would.

    All kinds of beaches and resorts in that general area.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Perhaps the killer works around where she lived (new townhouse construction) but lives north of Orangeville. He parks near the store, walks over to her place and gets in somehow other thank breaking in. He leaves recognizing someone must have heard or seen something (tires squealing, screaming) so he ditches her car straight away and transfers the body to his own vehicle. He would be thinking that the police could be looking for that vehicle. He drives out to the middle of no where, dumps her and then makes his way back to highway 10 north, feeling he is in the clear. Sees no other cars on the road and tosses her clothes out the window.

    I think we can assume that any information apart from the crime scenes could be misinformation.

    He moved the body in hopes of concealing evidence. The area he left her in is a very remote area and he could have planned on her not being found. I can't imagine someone with a plan (improvised), would have risked it all driving around in her car, covered in blood, possibly believing the police would be looking for it. LE has said they believe the killer drove her car to the dump site. We don't know why they believe that or whether they really do at all.
    I still say the killer knew or thought she would be alone or not home at all. I'm sure he knew the layout of her house. To know this and get in without forcing their way in, the killer has to be someone who lives or works in her immediate neighbourhood, assuming friends and family have all been excluded. I think he has been inside her home previously.

    I would rule out far reaching theories. Maybe the killer bought these boots especially to avoid detection since he doesn't normally wear them, but I doubt it. If someone has a well thought out diabolical plan, it would seem to me that it wouldn't be riddled with apparent carelessness. I think his high risk, ballsy behaviour was reactionary and planned as he went along. If he is stupid enough to squeal the tires in her car while escaping, he is stupid enough to wear his regular footwear to kill her.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,674
    I think LE thinks the killer drove her car to the dump area because of the mud on her tires.

Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3
    By No_Stone_Unturned in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 09-23-2017, 02:41 PM
  2. Found Deceased Canada - Paulette Debra Davey, 58, Orangeville ON, 24 Feb 2015
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-22-2015, 05:34 PM
  3. Replies: 661
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM

Tags for this Thread