CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New article regarding Sonia's funeral and the case...

Although a month has gone by, Orangeville Police Chief Joe Tomei said Monday that tips continue to come from the public almost daily. He said every one of the tips is being followed diligently.

Why has there been no further information? “The forensics (of the scenes) is very detailed. It’s not like CSI (on TV),” he said.

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-09-30/Front_Page/Funeral_services_set_for_murder_victim.html

With regards to Sonia's clothes I think I remember on the news the night they were found was north of Oville on highway 10....which is the total opposite direction of where they found her body.

With regards to Sonia's clothes I think I remember on the news the night they were found was north of Oville on highway 10....which is the total opposite direction of where they found her body.

I don't recall LE saying that the clothes they found north of Orangeville as
belonging to Sonia.

They just stated that clothes were found but they were not identified.

I don't recall LE saying that the clothes they found north of Orangeville as
belonging to Sonia.

They just stated that clothes were found but they were not identified.

I wondered if the clothes found might be bloody clothes, belong to the murderer(s).

Where is Oville? Is Highway #10 a main travel highway?

I wondered if the clothes found might be bloody clothes, belong to the murderer(s).

Where is Oville? Is Highway #10 a main travel highway?

Oville I believe is just a shortform for Orangeville.

Highway 10 is a main traveled highway from Mississauga north to
Collingwood. With probably the most traffic from mississauga to Orangeville

That could explain why one poster on FB claimed that LE was stopping cars on highway 26. It's here, under a September 1, 2010 post. The claim was made September 4, 2010:

http://www.facebook.com/BlueMountain?v=wallheading

New article regarding Sonia's funeral and the case...

Although a month has gone by, Orangeville Police Chief Joe Tomei said Monday that tips continue to come from the public almost daily. He said every one of the tips is being followed diligently.

Why has there been no further information? “The forensics (of the scenes) is very detailed. It’s not like CSI (on TV),” he said.

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-09-30/Front_Page/Funeral_services_set_for_murder_victim.html

Sgt. Sharlene Brooks of the Delta Police in B.C. admitted on TV that LE are withholding some information in the murder of Laura Szendrei. I can't find that interview now, but it seems like a good way of acknowledging the public's concern about the case, while maintaining the integrity of the investigation. Perhaps Sgt. Brooks' method of communicating to the public should be adopted by LE elsewhere. Seems like a good way to communicate in the day and age of WS, Twitter, FB, etc. People are more tuned in to these cases than ever before.

That could explain why one poster on FB claimed that LE was stopping cars on highway 26. It's here, under a September 1, 2010 post. The claim was made September 4, 2010:

http://www.facebook.com/BlueMountain?v=wallheading

Not sure that would have had anything to do with the seach for Sonia. OPP stopping cars on the way into a tourist destination on the Friday of a long holiday weekend is pretty common IMO.

Sorry for the confusion everyone, Oville is Orangeville the clothes were found near a small town called Camilla which only has a few houses and is off Hwy 10. Hwy 10 is very busy especially on a long weekend as it goes all the way up to Owen Sound/Sauble Beach area which is very popular in the summer months.

Would that be Sauble Beach in Collingwood near Blue Mountain where tons of new development has been in the works?

Would that be Sauble Beach in Collingwood near Blue Mountain where tons of new development has been in the works?

Sauble Beach is a small town close to Collingwood both are about 60-90 minutes from Orangeville.

Yes it would.

All kinds of beaches and resorts in that general area.

Perhaps the killer works around where she lived (new townhouse construction) but lives north of Orangeville. He parks near the store, walks over to her place and gets in somehow other thank breaking in. He leaves recognizing someone must have heard or seen something (tires squealing, screaming) so he ditches her car straight away and transfers the body to his own vehicle. He would be thinking that the police could be looking for that vehicle. He drives out to the middle of no where, dumps her and then makes his way back to highway 10 north, feeling he is in the clear. Sees no other cars on the road and tosses her clothes out the window.

I think we can assume that any information apart from the crime scenes could be misinformation.

He moved the body in hopes of concealing evidence. The area he left her in is a very remote area and he could have planned on her not being found. I can't imagine someone with a plan (improvised), would have risked it all driving around in her car, covered in blood, possibly believing the police would be looking for it. LE has said they believe the killer drove her car to the dump site. We don't know why they believe that or whether they really do at all.
I still say the killer knew or thought she would be alone or not home at all. I'm sure he knew the layout of her house. To know this and get in without forcing their way in, the killer has to be someone who lives or works in her immediate neighbourhood, assuming friends and family have all been excluded. I think he has been inside her home previously.

I would rule out far reaching theories. Maybe the killer bought these boots especially to avoid detection since he doesn't normally wear them, but I doubt it. If someone has a well thought out diabolical plan, it would seem to me that it wouldn't be riddled with apparent carelessness. I think his high risk, ballsy behaviour was reactionary and planned as he went along. If he is stupid enough to squeal the tires in her car while escaping, he is stupid enough to wear his regular footwear to kill her.

I think LE thinks the killer drove her car to the dump area because of the mud on her tires.

Perhaps the killer works around where she lived (new townhouse construction) but lives north of Orangeville. He parks near the store, walks over to her place and gets in somehow other thank breaking in. He leaves recognizing someone must have heard or seen something (tires squealing, screaming) so he ditches her car straight away and transfers the body to his own vehicle. He would be thinking that the police could be looking for that vehicle. He drives out to the middle of no where, dumps her and then makes his way back to highway 10 north, feeling he is in the clear. Sees no other cars on the road and tosses her clothes out the window.

I think we can assume that any information apart from the crime scenes could be misinformation.

He moved the body in hopes of concealing evidence. The area he left her in is a very remote area and he could have planned on her not being found. I can't imagine someone with a plan (improvised), would have risked it all driving around in her car, covered in blood, possibly believing the police would be looking for it. LE has said they believe the killer drove her car to the dump site. We don't know why they believe that or whether they really do at all.
I still say the killer knew or thought she would be alone or not home at all. I'm sure he knew the layout of her house. To know this and get in without forcing their way in, the killer has to be someone who lives or works in her immediate neighbourhood, assuming friends and family have all been excluded. I think he has been inside her home previously.

I would rule out far reaching theories. Maybe the killer bought these boots especially to avoid detection since he doesn't normally wear them, but I doubt it. If someone has a well thought out diabolical plan, it would seem to me that it wouldn't be riddled with apparent carelessness. I think his high risk, ballsy behaviour was reactionary and planned as he went along. If he is stupid enough to squeal the tires in her car while escaping, he is stupid enough to wear his regular footwear to kill her.

Or he could know the layout of her home from being in anyone of the units in her complex. In row townhouses, the layout is the same.

Sauble Beach is a small town close to Collingwood both are about 60-90 minutes from Orangeville.

Well, if there was, indeed a checkstop by LE for cars heading into Collingwood, they could have been looking for many things, aside from seatbelt safety and alcohol. I seem to recall LE earlier this year stopping cars to check for a specific type of tire, although no one stopped by them knew it at the time.

Hey, dotr, isn't there some high-tech, newfangled way of matching dirt from tires and footprints to the specific area where the dirt originated?

Well originally I thought the perpetrator might have been familiar with Beechgrove Sideroad and taken it all the way from Hwy 10 but now that I think about it, that is a dirt road isn't it? The car should have had much more dirt and dust on it when it was found if that is the route that was taken there and back. Especially a white car. So maybe they did use Hwy 9 to Airport? :waitasec: That would be more in line with the body being found on the north side of Beechgrove as they would have been travelling west on Beechgrove after turning from Airport. Pretty risky travelling those main roads if that is the case.

I would think that in order for LE to make that statement that they believe her car was used, they must have tire tracks at the scene or brush under the vehicle if it was pulled off the road right into the grassy area. Sonia herself could have used that road to get home from her parent's house so they wouldn't just go by dirt on the tires IMO. There may even been some video surveillence of the car driving on one of those main roads. :waitasec:

MOO

Probably not a lot of tire tracks since the road maintenance crew use a mixture of water and calcium chloride when they grade the gravel roads around there. The calcium chloride aids in compacting the gravel and it acts as dust control. Also there would not be any brush under the car since the road at the edge dips towards a small ditch with very swampy soil, he/they would have gotten stuck and left deep tire impressions.
Beech Grove Sideroad is gravel from east to west, however the north/south roads are asphalt. He/they would possible have come down Mountainview Road or St. Andrew's Road which are both paved with asphalt from Hwy. 9 to Beech Grove Sdrd.
Mountainview Rd. is 390 meters from where the perp left the 'remains' and about 1000 meters (1 km) from St. Andrew's Rd.
My intuition is that the perp knew exactly where to go and drop the 'remains' right after or before the crime was done. This/these perp are very familiar with the area, either lives or lived there or are or have travelled Beech Grove Sdrd. frequently via job related activities. No doubt in my mind, since the 'drop of spot' is possible tho most desolate area, in the south easterly direction, between the victims home and 'the spot', about 11 km.
It will only be a matter of a short time before the perp/perps gets the cuffs on, and I also think there are surveillance going on in the right direction therefore the perp/perps will be sweating bullets and looking over the shoulders, he/they will make a mistake. Trust me, mistake will happen.
H.

From where Sonia lived to where her car was found is about a 90 second drive if hurrying, and less if you are driving like a knob. I drove it last night, and it occurred to me that if the killer wanted to ditch her car ASAP, and transfer the body to his own, he would have that freedom within seconds of the neighbours hearing the squealing of tires, and potentially calling the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46