His Honor Judge Perry *Merged*

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly1978

Reaction score
We have seen Judge Perry in action for the last few months. Has he lived up to your expectations on how he has handled this case?

I have to admit I am slightly disappointed. He has very good rulings and I feel he is being more than fair in his orders for both the Prosecution and the Defense. However we were told that Judge Perry is a no none sense Judge, yet he is using these court percedings to educate Baez on the law and he made it clear that his deadlines would be met, yet he extended the deadline for depositions.

I think he is a fair Judge but no-nonsense, I'm not seeing it.

I think he's twigged to Baez's strategy of using the media to claim bias, unfairness etc and hopefully taint the jury pool. I think he's trying to minimise the number of excuses JB can throw out there - once the trial is underway, the 'no nonsense' side will be much more apparent!

I heart JP! He rocks! and rocks and rocks and rocks....

I absolutely adore and have the utmost respect for Judge Perry. If this man can weather the next 8-9 months humoring the ignorance and disorganization of JB w/o becoming completely unglued, he should be nominated for sainthood, imo. lol

We have seen Judge Perry in action for the last few months. Has he lived up to your expectations on how he has handled this case?

I have to admit I am slightly disappointed. He has very good rulings and I feel he is being more than fair in his orders for both the Prosecution and the Defense. However we were told that Judge Perry is a no none sense Judge, yet he is using these court percedings to educate Baez on the law and he made it clear that his deadlines would be met, yet he extended the deadline for depositions.

Pre-trial is different. Death is different. What you are seeing that seems to be his tolerance of nonsense is actually making sure the record is crystal clear and that there are no loopholes for appeal. He is likely to give the defense more latitude ... and some of his decisions appear to be more pro-defense, when actually they are spot on and he has given the defense no room for shenanigans (e.g., the TES records review). I think he has made some outstanding rulings while still insuring the record is safe from appellate issues.

I agree that he is educating Baez during many of the hearings...however, I don't think he has a choice. He wants it in the record that there are NO MISUNDERSTANDINGS (e.g., "I don't like open-ended deadlines.") If you notice Judge Perry addresses Cheney Mason OFTEN and does everything he can to engage him. Judge Perry knows Baez is in wayyyyy over his head and I think he has done his best to not embarrass him publically. However, during the most recent status hearing I could tell that Judge Perry was very irritated with JB's disorganization and the fact that he comes to a status hearing KNOWING what will be expected and the man cannot give one simple, straight-forward answer. I do believe that the defense has pushed him just about as far as they are going to when it comes to deadlines. HHJP is a worker and he expects the same from the attorneys trying this case.

I can tell that Judge Perry LOVES his profession and has great respect for the justice system. I believe he views Baez's 'mess' as being disrespectful to the Court. I think he is low on patience and will tolerate a lot (including ignorance), but not much more disrespect.

Love HHJP, I think he is giving JB and co, enough rope to hang themselves :)

Smart

Judge Perry is a very experienced, fair and knowledgable Judge. He is considered to be the "go to" Judge for problem cases in Orange County.

In addition to being well versed in Supreme Court rulings, he is also willing to use Judicial discretion appropriately.

IMO, Judge Perry is not using the court proceedings to "educate" JB. He is stating things "for the record".

A Judge has guidelines but none are set in stone unless they impact a legal decision. In order to be "fair" a Judge must weigh decisions such as extending a deadline against the rights of a defendant.

As he has stated "death is different" he is using good judgement in allowing a certain amount of leeway. By doing so he eliminates an appellate issue down the road.

While the defense was granted some extra time for some depos, Judge Perry held firm to the spirit of his ruling regarding deadlines.

I agree with all who believe that HHJP is simply trying to make sure that this trial can proceed to it's conclusion with no loopholes for JB to use later. When she is convicted, and I do believe she will be, JB will have no legal way out. HHJP is closing the roads that lead to appeal. JMO.

Your responses make me feel a little better.
I guess I just expected Judge P to put his foot down and leave it down and Baez would either have to ship up or ship out, and he is still ho-humming around.

I agree with all who believe that HHJP is simply trying to make sure that this trial can proceed to it's conclusion with no loopholes for JB to use later. When she is convicted, and I do believe she will be, JB will have no legal way out. HHJP is closing the roads that lead to appeal. JMO.

In addition, I believe he will uphold the jurors decision for the DP if that is what they decide.

I agree. He just patiently watches Baez blundering around and discreetly admonishes him. Then he gets stern and states clearly what he expects and when he expects it to be done. He is being somewhat forebearing at present, I think in order that there will be no wiggle room left for Baez to claim any loopholes when this is all done.

In addition, I believe he will uphold the jurors decision for the DP if that is what they decide.

Yes! I believe he will as well! If that is what the jury decides, I have no doubt he will sentence her to death. He continually reminds JB that this is a DP case and that death is different. I think that is his way of letting JB know that he better fight the good fight and get it right or his girl is gonna get a needle in her arm. MOO.

Your responses make me feel a little better.
I guess I just expected Judge P to put his foot down and leave it down and Baez would either have to ship up or ship out, and he is still ho-humming around.

I totally understand the frustration.

I didn't want the defense to get their hands on any of those TES docs, but Judge Perry made the right call. (And they still can't pull any stunts cause they are gonna be watched like pit bulls guarding their young :croc:)

I absolutely adore and have the utmost respect for Judge Perry. If this man can weather the next 8-9 months humoring the ignorance and disorganization of JB w/o becoming completely unglued, he should be nominated for sainthood, imo. lol

Pre-trial is different. Death is different. What you are seeing that seems to be his tolerance of nonsense is actually making sure the record is crystal clear and that there are no loopholes for appeal. He is likely to give the defense more latitude ... and some of his decisions appear to be more pro-defense, when actually they are spot on and he has given the defense no room for shenanigans (e.g., the TES records review). I think he has made some outstanding rulings while still insuring the record is safe from appellate issues.

I agree that he is educating Baez during many of the hearings...however, I don't think he has a choice. He wants it in the record that there are NO MISUNDERSTANDINGS (e.g., "I don't like open-ended deadlines.") If you notice Judge Perry addresses Cheney Mason OFTEN and does everything he can to engage him. Judge Perry knows Baez is in wayyyyy over his head and I think he has done his best to not embarrass him publically. However, during the most recent status hearing I could tell that Judge Perry was very irritated with JB's disorganization and the fact that he comes to a status hearing KNOWING what will be expected and the man cannot give one simple, straight-forward answer. I do believe that the defense has pushed him just about as far as they are going to when it comes to deadlines. HHJP is a worker and he expects the same from the attorneys trying this case.

I can tell that Judge Perry LOVES his profession and has great respect for the justice system. I believe he views Baez's 'mess' as being disrespectful to the Court. I think he is low on patience and will tolerate a lot (including ignorance), but not much more disrespect.

The thank you button is not enough :bowdown: :clap:

So wonderfully stated!

I've grown to like him quite a bit, he is very different from Judge Strickland whom I totally adored.
Judge Perry is more "all business" but that's exactly what JB needs.
I think his experience and fairness will keep this case on the right track, let's just hope he doesn't befriend any bloggers.:innocent::tongue:

I loved Judge Strickland - but there is a measurable positive difference in the cadence and decorum of the proceedings since HHBP has had the case. There's no doubt that he is in control - and I do believe this trial actually has a chance now of happening before we inhabit other planets.

I love him more than NeJame, and that's saying something.

I've grown to like him quite a bit, he is very different from Judge Strickland whom I totally adored.
Judge Perry is more "all business" but that's exactly what JB needs.
I think his experience and fairness will keep this case on the right track, let's just hope he doesn't befriend any bloggers.:innocent::tongue:

From everything I've seen, this would be my description of Judge Perry - "all business." He's making the defense adhere to deadlines, suggesting they may have to work evenings and weekends to get the depositions done on time. He knows that by the time this case goes to trial, it's almost 3 years since the crime, and he's not going to delay it. He's pushing to make sure this trial starts as scheduled. He's also making sure that when it comes to the appeals process, there's little that can be appealed, closing those doors as they come.

I like Judge Perry, and he ranks up there with some of the best. One case I followed from beginning to end was in Nevada, and Judge Douglas Herndon of Clark County, Nevada was the same as Judge Perry.

The prosecution had presented their case, and when it came time for the defense to begin they said a plea had been reached. Judge Herndon questioned the defendant for about a half hour in regards to whether he understood the plea he was making and if his attorneys had explained everything and if he was entering this plea of his own free will. Judge Herndon went over every aspect of the plea deal. At the time, I wondered if that was necessary.

Less than three months later, the defendant had a new attorney and wanted a new trial based on his claim that he agreed to that plea under duress. A hearing was held and it turned out to be one of the most fascinating hearings I've witnessed. I came away from that hearing with a new understanding of judges and respect for those who are thorough.

Judge Perry is a very experienced, fair and knowledgable Judge. He is considered to be the "go to" Judge for problem cases in Orange County.

In addition to being well versed in Supreme Court rulings, he is also willing to use Judicial discretion appropriately.

IMO, Judge Perry is not using the court proceedings to "educate" JB. He is stating things "for the record".

A Judge has guidelines but none are set in stone unless they impact a legal decision. In order to be "fair" a Judge must weigh decisions such as extending a deadline against the rights of a defendant.

As he has stated "death is different" he is using good judgement in allowing a certain amount of leeway. By doing so he eliminates an appellate issue down the road.

While the defense was granted some extra time for some depos, Judge Perry held firm to the spirit of his ruling regarding deadlines.

I think HHJP is outstanding and would like to add word for word what 'Beach and Sleutherontheside have just said. Also...

HHJP is following the law, making sure there are no loopholes for Baez to slither through, and eliminating any and all appellate issues at the same time. As the trial date advances, HHJP will keep squeezing Baez's head more and more to either break him (which I don't believe he wants, because it would cause a trial delay) or to get Baez to begin the trial in May as professionally prepared as possible considering what the dufus he is working with.

I also believe the trial will progress much faster than any of us anticipate. I think by the time it's over we will all be saying in unison "bear in mind, Mr. Baez, bear in mind".......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni