Texas 4-year-old runs over, kills newborn

Belinda

Doer of Things
Reaction score
BURLESON, Texas - Police say a 4-year-old boy in Texas managed to start a van then run over a woman and her 3-week-old child, killing the newborn.
Police Cmdr. Chris Havens says the mother was hospitalized after the accident Thursday night in Burleson, 10 miles south of Fort Worth.

Havens did not identify those involved in the accident nor provide details of the mother's condition.

He says the 4-year-old climbed behind the wheel of the vehicle, started the van and put it in gear. He had a 5-year-old passenger

More at link:
http://headlines.verizon.com/headli...lines_portal_page_us_article&_article=3109928

:(
omg

How did this little darling manage to do this? How did he get the keys. Where were his parents?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was his mother with the baby. He may have taken off while she her attention was diverted on the newborn. It said she saw him in the van and took off out the door after him while holding the baby. They haven't confirmed the relationship yet.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was his mother with the baby. He may have taken off while she her attention was diverted on the newborn. It said she saw him in the van and took off out the door after him while holding the baby. They haven't confirmed the relationship yet.

What a nightmare........oy.

It's hard to say who will carry more guilt over this over the years...the child, or the parents who left him alone in the car. The child, was after all, just being a child, playing in a car. I have a 5 year old, and I'm pretty sure that while she rides in the car, and knows I drive it, were it she behind the wheels, she wouldn't be able to put "A" and "B" together, and realize she was actually operating the vehicle...she'd just think she was playing.

Terrifying. This is why I don't let my kids play in the truck when they ask. :(

Bless this boys family and bless the family of the woman and the infant (if it wasn't his Mom which I think it probably was too).

What a horrible nightmare that will never end for them. :( So very sad.

Thanks BuzzieCat. This family is going to have some serious healing to do.

What an odd story? So, this 4 year old managed to start the car and put it in drive? :waitasec:

What an odd story? So, this 4 year old managed to start the car and put it in drive? :waitasec:

It's easy Auttie! Every time a person starts the car the child is in the backseat and can see what you're doing.

My nephew did this when he was 3 or so. He ended up pinning my brother under the tires, and my SIL is a little dim so she called my mom before 911. My brother was ok.. I bet he was standing a few feet in front of the van... if he was further away it could have been worse.

Oh my goodness!! My heart and prayers go out to this family in tragedy. :( I am not surprised a four year old could do this. I have a precocious four year old who could manage this if he had access. He has to be watched like a hawk!

Major prayers for everyone involved, in Jesus' Healing Name, amen.

I have no doubt that a 4 year old could start a vehicle and put it in drive. I have no doubt that mine could do it. The keys are never left where the kids can get them because I remember how badly I wanted to drive when I was little and I know that since our 4 year old sits in the middle of the backseat, he has watched it enough times to do it.

I hope that the guilt is not too bad on anyone, as there is already enough pain in that family. I know it will be bad, both for the child and the parents, but I hope they seek counseling and stick with it. I hope the community also bears in mind that he is four and this is simply a tragedy.

When I was younger, I had a neighbour who used to put her older children (3 and 5, at that time) in the van, leaving the car running, and then return to the house for the baby. She never strapped the children into their car seats and they got into evrything till she came back out, jumping over the seats, blowing the horn, turning the wheel while pretending to drive. Thankfully nothing like this happened, but it easily could have.

These poor people are going to have a very hard time in the future. :( I hope they come to terms with this tragic event.

When I was younger, I had a neighbour who used to put her older children (3 and 5, at that time) in the van, leaving the car running, and then return to the house for the baby. She never strapped the children into their car seats and they got into evrything till she came back out, jumping over the seats, blowing the horn, turning the wheel while pretending to drive. Thankfully nothing like this happened, but it easily could have.

These poor people are going to have a very hard time in the future. :( I hope they come to terms with this tragic event.
Maybe the way to do it is to strap the baby in the car first, before the older children...

When I was a toddler (about 2 years old). I managed to climb into the front seat when my mom ran back into the house to get something and let out the parking brake causing the car to roll forward and crash into the front of the house. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and there was minor damage to the car and house.

Horrible for this mother and her little boy. They will both suffer a lifetime over this.

I was attending a child's birthday party recently. The parking was on an incline, so I cautiously set every emergency brake, etc. available. When leaving the party, a kindergartener ran ahead of me and jumped into the driver's seat of a car IN POSSESSION OF THE KEYS. As I passed the driver's window, I strongly urged her to wait for her mother hoping to delay the child's actions (though I suppressed the even stronger lecture I was feeling). Her mom arrived about this time looking ever so slightly sheepish. Turns out this was a little agreement between the two: that her kindergartener could start the car for Mommy. I was literally stunned speechless because the potential ramifications were so obvious that I assumed it was a matter of common sense. It didn't appear as if my input would have been received well by the mother or the child anyway, so I continued on my way, more than a little unsettled I daresay.

Oh, wow. This is very sad. Prayers for all involved. That poor baby. :(

I have to admit, when I was four, I jumped in a vehicle, took off the emergency brake and it began moving. My bros was with me. It just rolled a ways and ran into a chain-link fence.................yes, I got in trouble for playing in the vehicles and fortunately no one was hurt.

fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back