13 Things Your Hairstylist Won't Tell You

Ain't that the truth DK! Great article.

Off topic but along the same vein, as a previous bartender I'd like to share they don't want to hear about your woes, your sexual exploits, or confessions of guilt either LOL.

It always shocked people when I told them that bartenders get paid to be nice to you. That's why they don't tell you to go take a hike LOL.

Wow. Snarky. Sounds like a hairdresser who needs to retire.

You're on your feet all day? Waaaah. WTH did you think it was going to be like? When I was teaching I was on my feet all day too, and I never got to choose my clients, have any control over my schedule, nor was I tipped. It was just part of the gig.

You don't want to hear about my personal life? Guess what. I don't really care about yours either. Especially unpleasant is when you describe how sick you are while your hands are so close to my face.

I won't ask you to squeeze me in if you don't squeeze in someone else while I'm in the chair. You're the one who's getting paid for 2 clients, while I'm the one getting half your attention.

I try very hard to be on time. Occasionally life happens, and I'm a few minutes late. Have you ever been standing in the lobby waiting for me to arrive? No. I've always waited at least 5 minutes for you, and expect the same courtesy if I hit traffic.

You aren't a miracle worker? No kidding. Maybe if I ask for a cut you know will be unflattering you should mention that BEFORE you take scissors to my hair. Shifting the blame back to me after it's too late will lose you a client. You're a professional - act like one.

Being a hair stylist all my asdult life, I must laugh.
The best times were the gossip and hearing about such dysfunctional lives some people live.
Yes, I would need a drink of wine when I got home.
I could write a book, but it was fun!!
I crammed in my clients, made excellent money,
clients had sympathy when I was tired.
I gave suggestions on styles to make them look better.
I don't get some of this article, sounds like the hairdresser hates the job???
oh and all the great gifts on my birthday,CHRISTmas and when I was in the hospital!!!!!

The best times were the gossip and hearing about such dysfunctional lives some people live.
oh and all the great gifts on my birthday,CHRISTmas and when I was in the hospital!!!!!

Thank you! Sounds like you were a good one!

This wasn't a single hairstylist, they usually do interviews with several and compile the different replies.

You prolly should write that book!

that complaint about the tip really annoys me

fact is, I don't think I should have to tip most of the people I do - I think tips should be eliminated and employers should actually pay their employees what they're worth

I don't get tipped in my job and yet I'm expected to tip all these service workers who make way more than I do by the time their tips are calculated in

and if I don't, I can expect crappy service next time ...

so I tip everything from stylists to waitresses to taxi drivers b/c I am socially expected to - add to that the insult that they don't have to claim their tips and the tip is sometimes 'suggested' (as in no more 10% - we should tip at least 15% or 20%!)

I know someone who went out to dinner recently and the waitress assumed what he would be tipping and included it in the bill before even bringing it to the table!!!

anyway, there's my rant for the day

and yes, I have been in the service industry so I know the employers get away with a lot by not having to pay minimum wage - I don't understand it but there it is

also, my stylist is actually awesome & I always give him $10 LOL

My hairstylist told me that the shampoo folks at his salon get paid hourly. I was asking if my tip was OK! I'm sure its minimum wage they are paid. I tip pretty well anyway, because you get an awesome scalp massage.

Just thinking about it makes me want a nap!!

To be honest, I thought the article was just a silly, flippant and humorous article. I took it as the author took interviews from several workers and took all the not so nice things they said, put them all together and viola came out with an article that would get more attention than just sitting down and talking to one worker. JMHO I could be wrong.

Wow. Snarky. Sounds like a hairdresser who needs to retire.

You're on your feet all day? Waaaah. WTH did you think it was going to be like? When I was teaching I was on my feet all day too, and I never got to choose my clients, have any control over my schedule, nor was I tipped. It was just part of the gig.

You don't want to hear about my personal life? Guess what. I don't really care about yours either. Especially unpleasant is when you describe how sick you are while your hands are so close to my face.

I won't ask you to squeeze me in if you don't squeeze in someone else while I'm in the chair. You're the one who's getting paid for 2 clients, while I'm the one getting half your attention.

I try very hard to be on time. Occasionally life happens, and I'm a few minutes late. Have you ever been standing in the lobby waiting for me to arrive? No. I've always waited at least 5 minutes for you, and expect the same courtesy if I hit traffic.

You aren't a miracle worker? No kidding. Maybe if I ask for a cut you know will be unflattering you should mention that BEFORE you take scissors to my hair. Shifting the blame back to me after it's too late will lose you a client. You're a professional - act like one.

Great response. Maybe I can go into the complaints about working in a hospital...! That's when we see people at their worst. But no, this is just whine article as most people have had careers/jobs or been a housewife and can talk about the pitfalls of their experiences. '

I love passionflowers take on it. I went to hair cutting school while in high school and never went into the profession but when clients came in, I always enjoyed the stories the most.

Goz

Great response. Maybe I can go into the complaints about working in a hospital...! That's when we see people at their worst. But no, this is just whine article as most people have had careers/jobs or been a housewife and can talk about the pitfalls of their experiences. '

I love passionflowers take on it. I went to hair cutting school while in high school and never went into the profession but when clients came in, I always enjoyed the stories the most.

Goz

Someone recently had an article like this one from ER workers, not sure if it is online, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back