GUILTY NM - Garland Taylor, 74, shot to death, Albuquerque, 16 Aug 2004

ShowerSinger

Reaction score
Albuquerque, NM
Garland Taylor, 74 yrs. old
Police say the unknown suspect called several realtors from a pay phone, including this victim. They say that Mr. Taylor was a well-liked man with integrity. This unknown killer is DANGEROUS!

Some news show did a segment on how dangerous it is for real estate agents, especially women, to show houses alone. There have been murders and rapes across the country. Some agencies will not let their agents show a house alone and they take copies of drivers licenses of any one wanting to see a home or do serious financial background checks to see if the person qualifies to even buy the house.

That is so sad! Here's a link:

http://www.inman.com/inmannews.aspx?ID=42492

~snip~
Connie Kounas, an associate broker for Coldwell Banker Legacy's sales office in the Albuquerque area who had worked with Taylor, said, "We're all in kind of a shock here right now."

Kounas worked with Taylor at Hooten Stahl, an independent brokerage in the Albuquerque area that no longer exists.

"He was a gentleman's gentleman," Kounas said. "He was just so kind. His manners and his integrity – he had the highest integrity It's hard to think what the motive could have been."
~snip~

This is so sad. I hope there's not a serial killer of realtors in the southwest.
Did they ever solve the murder of the female realtor in CA?

I haven't followed this case well but I know they spoke to and searched her ex-husbands house. I'm writing about the CA case above my response.....

This one is a man killed! This seems so different...like a planned to kill any easy target realtor...because of the other placed calls. Still, it is a dangerous profession---meeting strangers in usually vacant places. (Didn't read the post before yours. Sorry, I was confused MM.)

Killer Caught!
27 year old Mario Chavez arrested for this murder. Interesting story, if anyone can link.

:( This link here says his wife found him:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/koat/20040820/lo_koat/2339273

~snip~
"I want to say to Sheriff (Darren) White how much I appreciate him, his men. They stayed with me for four hours at the crime scene on Monday night. They were all so kind," Taylor said.

Taylor said that kindness made it easier to get over the shock of finding her husband dead in a home he was showing.

"I was so shocked when I found him. I went running from the house and the neighbor came over, and she made my phone calls for me to 911 and the police," she said.

~snip~

This link shows a picture of Garland Taylor. What kind of person would want to hurt a nice old man?
http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=storyviewer&id=13189&cat=ABQMETRO

It is VERY dangerous for what we call estate agents- especially women. You are basically going into an empty house with a stranger- you wouldn't do that in a normal situation..........Theres a very famous case over here in the UK- a young girl called Suzy Lamplugh went missing after showing a man called "Mr Kipper" round a house. She has never been found. Her mother set up "the suzy lamplugh trust" to train people in personal safety. This case made most estate agents bring in their own policy about never showing a house alone- its good idea I think. Also most estate agents here have a company cell-phone which they have to carry at all times....V sad.

Heres a link for Suzys site http://www.suzylamplugh.org/home/aboutus.shtml

We had a serial rapist here in our town...wasraping women realtors. He would pick them out based on their pictures in the Sunday ads for homes and then call and schedule a meeting. He was caught because he raped a woman and she escaped and with DNA evidence from her he was tied to the murder of a new mom, and several other rapes.

Evil!

I did real estate for a couple of years. A local agent was raped while showing a vacant house in our town. After that, some general guidelines were adopted for agents showing properties. The prospective buyer had to come to the office first, show a driver's license, and leave his car at the office while he went with the agent in her car to the house being shown. This left the prospective buyer without his vehicle, he'd been seen by others at the office, his driver's license info was on file at the office, his vehicle and everything in it was parked at the office, the office personnel knew exactly where the agent and client were going, and exacty when the agent was expected back. No going on to other properties on the spur of the moment either, without letting the office know. The agent who was raped agreed to meet the buyer at the vacant house---she drove there in her car, he had his own car to drive away in after the rape, no one at the agent's office ever saw the guy or had any info about him or his vehicle. The big rule became "no meeting anyone at the property, they have to come to the office first."

From June 2006:

http://amarillo.com/stories/061806/new_4930171.shtml#.VX9VlYv8FWY

An Albuquerque man has been sentenced to 55 years in prison for the slaying of a real estate agent who was shot in the back of the head and left in a closet inside a home he was trying to sell.

Mario Chavez, 29, was found guilty in February of first-degree murder, armed robbery and tampering with evidence in the death of Garland Taylor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back