Identified! IN - Rensselaer, WhtMale UP11379, SK victim, 'Arlene' on Zippo, Mar'82 - William Joseph “Bill” Lewis

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is not a DoeNet or NamUs case file on this victim.

He was brought up on the "Adam" and "Brad" Doe thread.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IN IN - "Adam" and "Brad" Doe, Lake Village, Newton Cty, Larry Eyler victims - Oct. 1983

To avoid discussion of multiple UID's on the same thread I am starting this thread.

The victim is mentioned in this article:

http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/news/local/Sketches-from-Larry-Eyler-murder-spree

02_20100510172337_640_4801_zps9b995057.jpg

The third victim was 24-years-old. He had reddish brown hair and was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt. Police believe he was picked up in the Vincennes area. He was later found on November 20th 1982. In his pocket was a black and silver zippo lighter with the name "Arlene" engraved on it.

The article incorrectly states that the victim was found with the remains of "Adam" and "Brad" Doe in Newton County. The Newton County Coroner has clarified that this victim was found in Jasper County.

For starters, here an MP that seems to be a reasonable possible for this Doe:

Leon Moncer
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/moncer_leon.html
moncer_leon4.jpg

His hair color fits the description, and he is a cigarette smoker (corresponding to the zippo lighter in the pocket).

What I noticed is that Leon's exwife name according to his Charley Project profile is "Irene", and if the zippos lighter had the name "Arlene" engraved on it... those two names are close... wonder if either the Charley page or the description of the zippo lighter are wrong.. just a thought..

CarlK90245 - Leon looks promising, great job!:woohoo:

What I noticed is that Leon's exwife name according to his Charley Project profile is "Irene", and if the zippos lighter had the name "Arlene" engraved on it... those two names are close... wonder if either the Charley page or the description of the zippo lighter are wrong.. just a thought..

I noticed that too and thought maybe the daughter's name was "Arlene", but I found this article which states the daughter is named Julie: http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=31406

So going back to Chaddylex's theory it could be possible that since the newspaper article messed up the location the Doe was found perhaps they also misstated the name on the lighter? Is there anyway to find out more info on this?

While sending a follow-up e-mail on a possible match submitted for Brad Doe, I also mentioned Leon Moncer as a possible match to this case. I acknowledged that I understood he wasn't in the same county, but his name is listed in the online article as the contact for all three unidentified Eyler-victim John Does. He responded by indicating the following:

Hi Carl;

yes you are correct that there is the one John Doe in Jasper County. The coroner over there and I are friends and meet every month to discuss these and other cases, so I will be happy to pass the info along to him. We have set up a "mini task-force" if you will which includes myself, Andy (Jasper County Coroner) and Dave (Indiana State Police Detective). We meet every month regardless of any new developments so that we keep these cases in the forefront of our minds and they do not end up on a shelf somewhere like has happened in the past.

So please keep the info coming and I will keep you updated as things progress.

Thanks so much for your interest and help;

Scott

I received another reply from Scott McCord regarding Leon Moncer:

Hi Carl;

Just wanted to keep you in the loop....we have been in contact with the police in Ohio and they are sending dental records for Leon to us for comparison to both the Jasper and Newton County cases. I will let you know if something comes of it.

Thanks;

Scott

They just added photos to Clay Foreman's previously photo-less NamUs casefile.

Clay Foreman
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9344/3

f21699e7-e357-4f77-ba10-375d6a17c392.jpg

I'm thinking that he might be worth a look as a possible to the Jasper County Doe.

BTW, I think that the 60" height notation in NamUs is incorrect. That's suspiciously short for a 19-year old male. They probably meant 6-Feet (i.e., 72 inches).

I kicked off an e-male to Scott McCord to give him a heads up on this case as a possible to the Jasper Doe and Brad Doe.

They just added photos to Clay Foreman's previously photo-less NamUs casefile.

Clay Foreman
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9344/3

f21699e7-e357-4f77-ba10-375d6a17c392.jpg

I'm thinking that he might be worth a look as a possible to the Jasper County Doe.

BTW, I think that the 60" height notation in NamUs is incorrect. That's suspiciously short for a 19-year old male. They probably meant 6-Feet (i.e., 72 inches).

I kicked off an e-male to Scott McCord to give him a heads up on this case as a possible to the Jasper Doe and Brad Doe.

I sent an e-mail to the detective in charge of Clay Foreman's casefile to verify whether Clay's height info was correct. He says that Clay was 5'8". Not 60 inches, as indicated in NamUs.

How many vicitims of this loser is still unidentified? I read a book about him years ago...........from time to time i'll google his name to see if anything new comes up.

Bumping this up-no action since 2009. Discussion of this UID as possible SK Eyler victim according to previous posts.

According to Charley Project, Leon's lighter was actually found in his car, so it can't be the Zippo lighter found on the UID.

He might have had more than one lighter (a good one to keep in his pocket, and a disposable one to keep in his car).

I am doubting this was Leon though, just because it's been a couple of years since I submitted, and they probably would have done the comparison by now.

That first guy looks like a dead ringer, wonder if he was ruled out

0lOlWA6.jpg

Image of the Zippo Lighter

Snipped from a March 2013 Indiana State Police news release

Victim #3 is a white male, between 20-22 years of age, around 5’06”-5’08” in height, with a slight build and reddish shoulder length hair. He was possibly last seen on US 41 near Vincennes, Indiana. Victim #3 was wearing Levi’s brand jeans, tennis, shoes and a gray hooded sweat shirt. He may have had a lighter with the name Arlene on it (see attached photo).

If anyone has information on the identity of these individuals, please contact the Indiana State Police at (800) 453-4756 or CIS@isp.IN.gov.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4968834/?sub_id=1254023

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back