Chef Cat Cora on Bullying

Gozgals

Reaction score
Fair Use

October 5, 2010
LKL Web Exclusive:
Chef Cat Cora on bullying

Just found this article by IronChef Cat Cora on bullying. Thought it was worth sharing in light of the recent events that have taken place.

Goz

http://larrykinglive.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/05/lkl-web-exclusive-chef-cat-cora-on-bullying/?hpt=T2

Snip
No one knew I was gay growing up but I was bullied. I was a cheerleader, fairly popular and considered straight. An older girl who unknowingly hated me and had a locker right next to me, tortured me mercilessly every single day. She threatened to beat my *advertiser censored*, have her friends beat the hell out of me and yes, the word "kill" came up. My first thought is Phoebe Prince, she was not gay, but vilified for being new at the school and pretty.

nice article, she says some good things. imo tho is that the bullying is the problem. kids are always going to find things to pick on other kids for...its just part of growing up. i was picked on and bullied too - not for being gay, but for being too thin...i was just thin no matter what i ate so there wasnt anything i could do about it and there wasnt anything that i could do to stop the picking and bullying. obviously bullying has escalated in that it is becoming violent instead of just leaving the victim with hurt feelings and feeling really insecure. the kids that are inflicting this type of violent bullying upon other kids are the ones that need the "help". in most cases i dont believe for a moment that the school staff is unaware of bullying behavior. i realize that they have to be careful in how they deal with the situation - but that is what needs to change. there needs to be a ZERO tolerance attitude in regard to picking/bullying in schools and the parents have to be on board and made aware if there kid is a bully. and even if they dont believe it they need to understand that the school is going to impose punishment upon bullies. again, i think that minor nitpicking amongst kids is normal and kids need to learn how to deal with it. because we are all different and that is a good thing to be different, it would be horrible if we were all the same...jmo BUT this crazy violent bullying/cyber stalking that is driving some kids to kill themselves has to stop.... and i dont think that "sensitivity training" is the answer. there is NEVER reason to violently bully anyone. PERIOD. i think thats where this whole situation just falls apart. some gay people think everyone needs to learn more about gay people and then they wouldnt bully them and the list just goes on with the reasons each person is bullied. we dont need to be more accepting of differences(with the idea that this will prevent bullying, learning about different people is always good, its just not the answer to stopping bullies) - we need to be INTOLERANT OF BULLIES, this is what will stop bullies.

Thanks for sharing your story Nervous_nellie.

I agree, "ZERO tolerance attitude" toward any bullying or cyberstalking.

I remember in high school I started to go out with this guy and his old gf bullied me. She would threaten me everyday. She would call my house and tell me off, tell me not to come to school, etc. I am almost 5feet tall and she was over 6ft. I was scared everyday. These people never understand. Even if I was to break up with her ex-bf at the time, he never was going to date her again. She proceeded to bully me on a regular basis and I don't remember why it stopped. I felt I had didn't have anyone I could tell. In high school. one does not want to tell a counselor or teacher as fear of the other kids teasing you. At that age, you really don't have many outlets when one bullies you. She would go as far as saying she was going to kill me. It was a nightmare when I look back today.

I think the schools know kids are bullied and know who the bullies are. They need to suspend the kid(s) to set an example this is not allowed.

I wonder what happens to some who are bullies as high school students? Do they go on to bully people in the work place, through their careers, etc? I know some of the stories here show they have changed. I am just curious as to what type of adults they grow up to be. Are they pushy in the work place, steal others jobs, backstab? I hope they do change.

Good day
Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23