1204 users online (273 members and 931 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

FL - 13 year old girl accused of poisoning adoptive family

Investigators said the girl confessed to putting roach and rodent poison, as well as dog feces, in food eaten by her adoptive mother. They also said she placed hand soap in her drinking water.

There is concern that the family's two biological children may also have been poisoned. It is believed that girl's actions began sometime in early 2009 and continued through April of 2010.

The adoptive mother told investigators that recent toxicology tests have shown traces of arsenic in her blood, and for the past year, she has seen her health deteriorate. At this point, she has refused to press charges against the girl.

Neighbors said the family provided love and a home for the girl, whom they adopted from Mexico years back, and even sent her to a private school.

In the meantime, the incident report states that the girl is staying at a health care facility, because she has been categorized as a threat to her family and society.

If a charge is brought against the girl, it likely would be for felony poisoning. Because she is adopted, she can not be deported.

Snipped from: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/09...est=latestnews

OMG.... That is terrible....

My heart always sinks a little when I read a story such as this. For years I worked for the North American Council on Adoptable Children~~"For every child, a family". I don't 100% agree with that mission statement. Our family has raised and loved some challenging children but there was one who was diagnosed as homicidal at age 4. She was our little girl adopted from Haiti. There had been no disclosure of her extensive history of ritual sexual abuse. She ended up almost killing two of our children and then moved on to another family where she killed the dog. She grew up in a treatment center and has certainly improved but would never be safe in a family setting.

Sadly, it sounds as if this family and the professionals working with this girl, missed or ignored some huge red flags. My heart goes out to all of them. This level of pathology is not that unusual for children who suffer severe trauma or neglect in their pre-verbal years. Some of these children just cannot handle the dynamics and stressors of a family. They are not ready to be loved, hard as that is to understand. So, so sad.

As a side note; in my 20 odd years of adoption advocacy, I've only come across a handful of children legally adopted from Mexico. That fact always surprises those not involved in adoption as Mexico is so close and there is definitely a need. There's always the possibility that this family is originally from Mexico and adopted her there. However, Mexico has a long history of denying most adoptions by foreigners. As a comparison, adoption from China hovers between 5,000-8,000 children per year. Mexico reports around 100 or less children for the last several years. From an article which might have been current around the time this child was adopted:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Findin...ws)-a096229440

"Adoptions of Mexican children have been persistently low. There were 73 orphan visas granted to Mexican children in 2001 and 106 in 2000. Adoption attorneys and agents cite various reasons for the low numbers, including the Mexican government's reluctance to place children abroad, the role of extended families in Mexico in caring for their own and strict immigration reviews before visas are granted to orphan children."

Mother refused to press charges against the girl? I don't understand this statement. I am pretty sure that even if the mother does not want the girl charged, the DA does not have to listen to the mother, because the state and not the individual (in this case the mother) presses the charges.

A good question, jjenny. I think it varies depending on the state and might be up to the discretion of the DA. I would think that charging the child would actually open up far more options for treatment, however.

I know we were given the option, time and again, about pressing charges. I hate to say this but it really depended on whether we were just ready to pick up and keep going or if we thought the child needed hospitalization.

Typically a community based "crisis team" is convened to make decisions about crimes such as this. If that happens, the family will be allowed input but the committee's decision will trump the family's choice. This particular child's threat to the safety of other family members, especially minors, will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    My heart always sinks a little when I read a story such as this. For years I worked for the North American Council on Adoptable Children~~"For every child, a family". I don't 100% agree with that mission statement. Our family has raised and loved some challenging children but there was one who was diagnosed as homicidal at age 4. She was our little girl adopted from Haiti. There had been no disclosure of her extensive history of ritual sexual abuse. She ended up almost killing two of our children and then moved on to another family where she killed the dog. She grew up in a treatment center and has certainly improved but would never be safe in a family setting.

Sadly, it sounds as if this family and the professionals working with this girl, missed or ignored some huge red flags. My heart goes out to all of them. This level of pathology is not that unusual for children who suffer severe trauma or neglect in their pre-verbal years. Some of these children just cannot handle the dynamics and stressors of a family. They are not ready to be loved, hard as that is to understand. So, so sad.

As a side note; in my 20 odd years of adoption advocacy, I've only come across a handful of children legally adopted from Mexico. That fact always surprises those not involved in adoption as Mexico is so close and there is definitely a need. There's always the possibility that this family is originally from Mexico and adopted her there. However, Mexico has a long history of denying most adoptions by foreigners. As a comparison, adoption from China hovers between 5,000-8,000 children per year. Mexico reports around 100 or less children for the last several years. From an article which might have been current around the time this child was adopted:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Findin...ws)-a096229440

"Adoptions of Mexican children have been persistently low. There were 73 orphan visas granted to Mexican children in 2001 and 106 in 2000. Adoption attorneys and agents cite various reasons for the low numbers, including the Mexican government's reluctance to place children abroad, the role of extended families in Mexico in caring for their own and strict immigration reviews before visas are granted to orphan children."

Wow. Thank you for that information Izzy. I never realized the adoption rate from Mexico was that low.

This poor family. This poor child.

O/T but not. Someone just recently said to me regarding an adopted child harming their family "Can you imagine? It's bad enough your own kid would do that to ya, but one you adopted I mean come on".

My response was "That is their child. Just not biologically". Sorry that just works my last nerve when people point out "That's their real kid and the other one is the adopted one". What?

Thank you, Filly. Obviously we don't put up with that kind of talk around our kids. If I bring up adoption concerning a child, it's always due to an issue specific to adoption. For years, I drove a 15 passenger van with a license plate that said ALL HRS (all ours).

As far as the low number of Mexican adoptions, it always surprises people. I hate to bring up finances but a Mexican adoption is usually far more expensive than an adoption from China or Korea. It just doesn't make sense. There's a lot of black market stuff going on and the Hague Convention has worked against that for years.

Here's an article which has been updated. Looks like the child will be returning home. But with charges against her, she'll get some help. Note the comments after the article. I knew that RAD would come up. It's a tragic disorder. I wish she would have gotten help long ago. I can't imagine that she didn't exhibit signs of this.

http://www.wftv.com/news/25331152/de...=cmg_cntnt_rss

There's a phrase which is occasionally used in adoption circles. It's about "importing pathology". One must remember that adoption is far more like a marriage than giving birth to a child. I've been involved in this world for 26 years now and I'd say, hands down, that it's 90% nature and 10% nurture. No doubt about it.