WY WY - Stuart Isaac, 48, car found in Yellowstone, 26 Sept 2010

kai

Reaction score
http://www.ktvq.com/news/update-maryland-man-missing-car-found-in-yellowstone/

A search is under way in Yellowstone National Park for a Maryland man who has been reported missing.
Authorities say 48-year-old Stuart Isaac of Burtonsville, Md., was reportedly on a cross country trip. His black 2009 Lexus sedan was found Sunday evening at Craig Pass along the section of the Grand Loop Road linking Old Faithful and West Thumb.

thanks hoppy for setting it up.

I am copying one of the news links from the support area:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_65393970-d092-11df-9bd5-001cc4c002e0.html

Frankly, I do not see this guy as a victim of crime. it is just me or does it not seem odd to leave the family a NOTE that you've decided to take a cross country drive by yourself?

I did not see much background info on the guy so I don't know what he was running from. I wonder if he took his laptop with him.

Not good. Temps dropped this week and they've had snow. That's too many days for someone with no experience and no gear to be out there. Hoping that he just dumped his car and met up with someone. Otherwise, why drive all the way to Yellowstone, alone? If you're not experienced in the wilderness why would u pick that of all places to make a cross country trek to?

Oh my. I hope this man is found. Yellowstone is so big there is no telling where he is if he wandered off on his own. There have been too many bear attacks this season for my comfort. There is a shortage of pine nuts and they are hungry. A family friend shot one a few weeks ago as it was breaking a window to enter my dbf's family home which is about 30 mins. from Yellowstone. It was the third attempt of this bear trying to get into the house where his 80+ mom lives! Anyway, I digress.

There is a picnic area near where his car was found. Wonder if he stopped to eat or go to the rest room? Here's a link to a map of the area....

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/interactivemap/oftogrnt.htm

wm

I assume, but do not know for sure, that the National Park system can track when vehicles enter the parks. I don't know if they take any video of cars coming and going, but I'd be curious to know when his vehicle entered the park.

I assume, but do not know for sure, that the National Park system can track when vehicles enter the parks. I don't know if they take any video of cars coming and going, but I'd be curious to know when his vehicle entered the park.

Hi webrocket! You are right. A time stamped ticket is given to the tourist upon paying at the gate. There are different tickets one can purchase...1 day ticket, 3 day ticket, season pass, etc. However, tickets can be purchased at one national park and used at another.

Example: We purchased a ticket at The Grand Canyon NP in AZ and used the same ticket at Yellowstone several days later because it was a 1 week ticket and could be used at any other national park in the US.

I don't recall seeing cameras at the entrance boothes but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I do remember seeing them at the Old Faithful Inn but don't know if they are stationed there all the time as we visited YS one day prior to Pres Obama and family's visit so the cameras could have been placed there for security during the First Family's visit.

I wonder if his ticket/receipt was inside the vehicle or if he had it in his wallet?

I hope this man is found and is not a victim of some evil doer.....

MOO wm

I don't think he went hiking or to the bathroom. He left his car unlocked with the keys inside. Seems a bit strange to me.

I don't think he went hiking or to the bathroom. He left his car unlocked with the keys inside. Seems a bit strange to me.

It is strange. It sounds to me like he may have pulled over to offer help to a motorist or something by him leaving his car unlocked with the keys inside. This indicates to me that he didn't plan to venture far off.

Foul play maybe? I hope not but I can't help thinking of the prison escapees from AZ who hid out in NP's a few months ago. Heck one of them even went down to Gardiner and attended a church service,,,,which was his undoing!

Or maybe he wanted to disappear and staged it to look that way. strange that he left a note for his family saying he was going on a cross country trip. I wonder if he had financial problems back home?

So many questions......

wm

according to the news he was driving a 2009 Lexus sedan so if he left the keys in it, he either intended to abandon it or someone came along so suddenly that he had no time to grab his keys.

while he could have been a victim of a crime, I still can't get over how someone decides on the spur of the moment to take a cross country drive and leave a note to that effect. if you have family, (and presumably a job) does one not have to make arrangements in advance?

on another note, I'd love to know if there are any credit card records for things like meals or motels along the way. would give some indication of the pace at which he was travelling.

I know some people get annoyed if I do not source certain things, but since no family member has been named in the media, I don't want to be the first.

From what I can discern, Stuart Isaac was married in 1997 and was still married on the date he took his drive.

I have not been able to find anything like facebook or linkedin for either Mr. or Mrs. Isaac so I have no idea what sort of profession he is or was in.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland/maryland-man-missing-car-found-in-yellowstone-100510

This article says he left a note to a relative, so I was assuming he wasn't married or maybe separated?. It also said last time anyone heard from him was September 7th, and the car was found on the 26th. So there is a lot of time to get into all kinds of trouble. If it is foul play then I think the car was left there by the perp(s) and the crime was elsewhere. Nothing was found around or close to the car as far as I know. I am fearful it was a suicide but I can't find much info about him.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland/maryland-man-missing-car-found-in-yellowstone-100510

This article says he left a note to a relative, so I was assuming he wasn't married or maybe separated?. It also said last time anyone heard from him was September 7th, and the car was found on the 26th. So there is a lot of time to get into all kinds of trouble. If it is foul play then I think the car was left there by the perp(s) and the crime was elsewhere. Nothing was found around or close to the car as far as I know. I am fearful it was a suicide but I can't find much info about him.

relatives can mean anything and the expression is not all that helpful.

the original article I posted said this:

Authorities say 48-year-old Stuart Isaac of Burtonsville, Md., left a note for his family on Sept. 6 saying he was going on an extended cross country trip.

so we are left to guess as to his family status.

I hope LE has dusted the Lexus for fingerprints. That's a good theory sherlockh. It would be so easy for a perp to dump the car and disappear in the park after commiting a crime. NP's and State Parks frighten me a little because I read so many stories here on WS about serial killers and fugitives from justice seeking refuge there.

webrocket, thanks for doing a little digging.

Great sleuthing and ideas all!

MOO.....wm

relatives can mean anything and the expression is not all that helpful.

the original article I posted said this:

Authorities say 48-year-old Stuart Isaac of Burtonsville, Md., left a note for his family on Sept. 6 saying he was going on an extended cross country trip.

so we are left to guess as to his family status.
Sorry, I should have finished watching that video on the link I posted before finishing the earlier post. The video says he is divorced and living with his niece and her husband.

Also, he left a SUV and a motorcycle behind at his house. That, and a Lexus means he is reasonably wealthy I think.

I hope LE has dusted the Lexus for fingerprints. That's a good theory sherlockh. It would be so easy for a perp to dump the car and disappear in the park after commiting a crime. NP's and State Parks frighten me a little because I read so many stories here on WS about serial killers and fugitives from justice seeking refuge there.

webrocket, thanks for doing a little digging.

Great sleuthing and ideas all!

MOO.....wm

Unless he's a mountain man, or had an accomplice following in a different car, he's not disappearing from the Craig Pass area. That's one of the most remote areas of the park that's accessible by car. He'd have to walk at least six or seven miles down the road, even farther if he went into the back country.

If the car had been found near a busy area such as Old Faithful, I might consider the possibility, but there's little if any public transportation in Yellowstone at any time, and this late in the year, most of that is shut down. Somebody trying to get out would have to bum a ride with somebody or arrange for somebody like Karst Stage to pick him up. He'd likely be remembered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back