1156 users online (230 members and 926 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jacksonville Drug Case point to double standard for Croslins

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...d-pill-scripts

The case came to a climax Feb. 8. A police informant introduced Verrette to another detective who was posing as a crack dealer. That detective arranged to exchange a baggie of crack for prescriptions for Roxicodone and Xanax.

Police made an audio recording of the deal in a strip mall parking lot. They cuffed Verrette right there, seizing his 2007 Honda Ridgeline and everything in it.

Gonzales' interview notes say Verrette later admitted exchanging OxyContin prescriptions with a drug dealer for crack, and that he fingered the 21-year-old in a photo lineup. Records show the dealer served about five months in jail this year after pleading guilty to a drug trafficking charge.

In the meantime, records show Verrette remains free on about $95,000 bail, down from $2.5 million.

In reading about this case in Jacksonville, I begin to question if there is some truth to the fact that Misty and Tommy's Maximum sentences have, in fact, been effected by their involvement in the Haleigh investigation.

In this article you have a drug trafficker serving 5 months on a guilty charge, where is the minimum mandatory here? and the Dentist who has been writing high dosage scripts for high narcotic pain pills in exchange for crack cocaine has his bond reduced from $2.5 million to $95,000.

I notice other viewers have commented on the Jacksonville article and notice the major difference between this case and the Croslins.

Please note I am no Croslin fan, but I do want the Justice System to show equality and fairness to all. I'm not crazy about the idea of one trafficker doing 5 months while another does 25 years, in the same state.

I am disgusted by this entire episode.

ineffective counsel? IMO Misty may well have had it. IANAL but while not a fan of Croslins and I feel Misty is responsible for Haleigh's demise, I think Fields misplayed her whole defense as to the trafficking.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

All dope dealers should all get 25 years to life depending on how many charges, IMO. Drugs are responsible for what happened to Haleigh, plus many other children, and for kids turning out like the Croslins. Totally destroys everyone's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    All dope dealers should all get 25 years to life depending on how many charges, IMO. Drugs are responsible for what happened to Haleigh, plus many other children, and for kids turning out like the Croslins. Totally destroys everyone's lives.
    No argument there.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Emma Peel is offline Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & beware of diabolical masterminds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pharsin View Post
    http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...d-pill-scripts

The case came to a climax Feb. 8. A police informant introduced Verrette to another detective who was posing as a crack dealer. That detective arranged to exchange a baggie of crack for prescriptions for Roxicodone and Xanax.

Police made an audio recording of the deal in a strip mall parking lot. They cuffed Verrette right there, seizing his 2007 Honda Ridgeline and everything in it.

Gonzales' interview notes say Verrette later admitted exchanging OxyContin prescriptions with a drug dealer for crack, and that he fingered the 21-year-old in a photo lineup. Records show the dealer served about five months in jail this year after pleading guilty to a drug trafficking charge.

In the meantime, records show Verrette remains free on about $95,000 bail, down from $2.5 million.

In reading about this case in Jacksonville, I begin to question if there is some truth to the fact that Misty and Tommy's Maximum sentences have, in fact, been effected by their involvement in the Haleigh investigation.

In this article you have a drug trafficker serving 5 months on a guilty charge, where is the minimum mandatory here? and the Dentist who has been writing high dosage scripts for high narcotic pain pills in exchange for crack cocaine has his bond reduced from $2.5 million to $95,000.

I notice other viewers have commented on the Jacksonville article and notice the major difference between this case and the Croslins.

Please note I am no Croslin fan, but I do want the Justice System to show equality and fairness to all. I'm not crazy about the idea of one trafficker doing 5 months while another does 25 years, in the same state.
    Taking a stab:
    Sounds like Verrette provided information valuable to the drug investigation (probably in exchange for reduced charges). This is what Ron did. Donna got her charges reduced somehow (don't know how - do we?). Tommy and Misty both have indicated they tried to provide information in exchange for pleading to lesser charges, but both have said that LE was not interested in their information. (Well, perhaps they were interested in Tommy's information until it proved very expensive and "worthless".)

I'm not sure I'm correct of course, I'm just taking a stab & a at one reason why some are pleading down their charges...at the discretion & recommendation of LE/investigators/the DA...

google the names Angela Kopelakis & Heather Stackpoole. 2 Florida women charged with some major trafficking. but yet another double standard, & they haven't even gone to trial.

Can someone point me to the law that says sentencing must be fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
    Can someone point me to the law that says sentencing must be fair?
    Well for crack it is apparently the Fair Sentencing Act to cover sentencing starting Nov 1 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by vjlaw View Post
    Well for crack it is apparently the Fair Sentencing Act to cover sentencing starting Nov 1 2010.
    Interesting, I'll look it up and thanks. I'm not sure yet how this applies to this case and minimum sentencing laws.

I think you get where I'm going, it only has to be legal.

Interesting, I'll look it up and thanks. I'm not sure yet how this applies to this case and minimum sentencing laws.

Well, crack was not involved in this case, but as the title of the act implies that everyone does have a reasonable expectation of fair treatment under the law. However, my cynical self knows that fair is not possible by man. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by vjlaw View Post
    Well, crack was not involved in this case, but as the title of the act implies that everyone does have a reasonable expectation of fair treatment under the law. However, my cynical self knows that fair is not possible by man. JMO
    Interesting reading and can't say I totally disagree. While looking over the law I've come across a link regarding Florida's Mandatory Minimum's, it looks like the judges hands were tied unless she accepted youthful offender status.

My personal feeling is an eventual appeal in this case but I also think it will hinge on Misty's cooperation in the Haleigh investigation. I don't think it will be stated but I feel it's implied. <kinda>

Thanks for the heads-up on this new law, I see lots of challenges in the future.

http://www.famm.org/Repository/Files...mum%20Laws.pdf

I just read our esteemed president signed a law about cocaine and fair sentencing. Man, those arms are getting longer and longer in WA. I didn't know he could interfere so easily in State Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I just read our esteemed president signed a law about cocaine and fair sentencing. Man, those arms are getting longer and longer in WA. I didn't know he could interfere so easily in State Policy.
    Constitutionally he can't...but, who's going to stop him?
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The same thing that made Pinochio's nose grow longer makes those arms in WA grow longer. JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast