Jacksonville Drug Case point to double standard for Croslins

pharsin

Reaction score
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...-life-authorities-say-he-swapped-pill-scripts

The case came to a climax Feb. 8. A police informant introduced Verrette to another detective who was posing as a crack dealer. That detective arranged to exchange a baggie of crack for prescriptions for Roxicodone and Xanax.

Police made an audio recording of the deal in a strip mall parking lot. They cuffed Verrette right there, seizing his 2007 Honda Ridgeline and everything in it.

Gonzales' interview notes say Verrette later admitted exchanging OxyContin prescriptions with a drug dealer for crack, and that he fingered the 21-year-old in a photo lineup. Records show the dealer served about five months in jail this year after pleading guilty to a drug trafficking charge.

In the meantime, records show Verrette remains free on about $95,000 bail, down from $2.5 million.

In reading about this case in Jacksonville, I begin to question if there is some truth to the fact that Misty and Tommy's Maximum sentences have, in fact, been effected by their involvement in the Haleigh investigation.

In this article you have a drug trafficker serving 5 months on a guilty charge, where is the minimum mandatory here? and the Dentist who has been writing high dosage scripts for high narcotic pain pills in exchange for crack cocaine has his bond reduced from $2.5 million to $95,000.

I notice other viewers have commented on the Jacksonville article and notice the major difference between this case and the Croslins.

Please note I am no Croslin fan, but I do want the Justice System to show equality and fairness to all. I'm not crazy about the idea of one trafficker doing 5 months while another does 25 years, in the same state.

ineffective counsel? IMO Misty may well have had it. IANAL but while not a fan of Croslins and I feel Misty is responsible for Haleigh's demise, I think Fields misplayed her whole defense as to the trafficking.

All dope dealers should all get 25 years to life depending on how many charges, IMO. Drugs are responsible for what happened to Haleigh, plus many other children, and for kids turning out like the Croslins. Totally destroys everyone's lives.

All dope dealers should all get 25 years to life depending on how many charges, IMO. Drugs are responsible for what happened to Haleigh, plus many other children, and for kids turning out like the Croslins. Totally destroys everyone's lives.

No argument there.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...-life-authorities-say-he-swapped-pill-scripts

The case came to a climax Feb. 8. A police informant introduced Verrette to another detective who was posing as a crack dealer. That detective arranged to exchange a baggie of crack for prescriptions for Roxicodone and Xanax.

Police made an audio recording of the deal in a strip mall parking lot. They cuffed Verrette right there, seizing his 2007 Honda Ridgeline and everything in it.

Gonzales' interview notes say Verrette later admitted exchanging OxyContin prescriptions with a drug dealer for crack, and that he fingered the 21-year-old in a photo lineup. Records show the dealer served about five months in jail this year after pleading guilty to a drug trafficking charge.

In the meantime, records show Verrette remains free on about $95,000 bail, down from $2.5 million.

In reading about this case in Jacksonville, I begin to question if there is some truth to the fact that Misty and Tommy's Maximum sentences have, in fact, been effected by their involvement in the Haleigh investigation.

In this article you have a drug trafficker serving 5 months on a guilty charge, where is the minimum mandatory here? and the Dentist who has been writing high dosage scripts for high narcotic pain pills in exchange for crack cocaine has his bond reduced from $2.5 million to $95,000.

I notice other viewers have commented on the Jacksonville article and notice the major difference between this case and the Croslins.

Please note I am no Croslin fan, but I do want the Justice System to show equality and fairness to all. I'm not crazy about the idea of one trafficker doing 5 months while another does 25 years, in the same state.

Taking a stab:
Sounds like Verrette provided information valuable to the drug investigation (probably in exchange for reduced charges). This is what Ron did. Donna got her charges reduced somehow (don't know how - do we?). Tommy and Misty both have indicated they tried to provide information in exchange for pleading to lesser charges, but both have said that LE was not interested in their information. (Well, perhaps they were interested in Tommy's information until it proved very expensive and "worthless".)

I'm not sure I'm correct of course, I'm just taking a stab & a :cow: at one reason why some are pleading down their charges...at the discretion & recommendation of LE/investigators/the DA...

google the names Angela Kopelakis & Heather Stackpoole. 2 Florida women charged with some major trafficking. but yet another double standard, & they haven't even gone to trial.

Can someone point me to the law that says sentencing must be fair?

Can someone point me to the law that says sentencing must be fair?

Well for crack it is apparently the Fair Sentencing Act to cover sentencing starting Nov 1 2010.

Well for crack it is apparently the Fair Sentencing Act to cover sentencing starting Nov 1 2010.

Interesting, I'll look it up and thanks. I'm not sure yet how this applies to this case and minimum sentencing laws.

I think you get where I'm going, it only has to be legal.

Interesting, I'll look it up and thanks. I'm not sure yet how this applies to this case and minimum sentencing laws.

Well, crack was not involved in this case, but as the title of the act implies that everyone does have a reasonable expectation of fair treatment under the law. However, my cynical self knows that fair is not possible by man. JMO

Well, crack was not involved in this case, but as the title of the act implies that everyone does have a reasonable expectation of fair treatment under the law. However, my cynical self knows that fair is not possible by man. JMO

Interesting reading and can't say I totally disagree. While looking over the law I've come across a link regarding Florida's Mandatory Minimum's, it looks like the judges hands were tied unless she accepted youthful offender status.

My personal feeling is an eventual appeal in this case but I also think it will hinge on Misty's cooperation in the Haleigh investigation. I don't think it will be stated but I feel it's implied. <kinda>

Thanks for the heads-up on this new law, I see lots of challenges in the future.

http://www.famm.org/Repository/Files/Select Florida Mandatory Minimum Laws.pdf

I just read our esteemed president signed a law about cocaine and fair sentencing. Man, those arms are getting longer and longer in WA. I didn't know he could interfere so easily in State Policy.

I just read our esteemed president signed a law about cocaine and fair sentencing. Man, those arms are getting longer and longer in WA. I didn't know he could interfere so easily in State Policy.

Constitutionally he can't...but, who's going to stop him?

The same thing that made Pinochio's nose grow longer makes those arms in WA grow longer. JMO

Taking a stab:
Sounds like Verrette provided information valuable to the drug investigation (probably in exchange for reduced charges). This is what Ron did. Donna got her charges reduced somehow (don't know how - do we?). Tommy and Misty both have indicated they tried to provide information in exchange for pleading to lesser charges, but both have said that LE was not interested in their information. (Well, perhaps they were interested in Tommy's information until it proved very expensive and "worthless".)

I'm not sure I'm correct of course, I'm just taking a stab & a :cow: at one reason why some are pleading down their charges...at the discretion & recommendation of LE/investigators/the DA...

And yet still all 5 involved received 15 years or more!!

IMO.....I have never done it...no experience with the drug...but from what I have seen come out of it...Crack is the evil of all evils when it comes to drugs..

Taking a stab:

The dentist in this case is facing 40 years and is out on bail, his trial has not been held yet.

The dealer that the dentist fingered to the police did 5 months on a previous charge. The reporter lists it as trafficking but does not give a name for us to look at the charges. The dealer might have got youthful offender or more likely it is bad reporting and he actually was found guilty or took a plea for possession and not trafficking and does not have a trafficking charge.

Wow.

From what I was able to find, he had 9 trafficking charges. Only 4 remain, with the others having been dropped (if I am reading it correctly). Out of 14 original charges he will go to trial on 4 pill trafficking charges and 5 cocaine possession/purchase charges. He faces 40 years if convicted on all counts.

Misty faces what? In excess of 100 years if she gets the bare minimum on each charge, I believe.

OK, so the charges are not identical, I get that. But what this guy is accused of appears to be far worse--as far as a danger to society--than Misty's drug offenses.

IDK folks...I guess it's time for me to just throw up my hands and hope Lisa was right when she said, "God will be with my daughter."

ETA: It might even be worse, meaning he might have even more offenses that figure into that 40 years...my session timed out before I was able to check out each of his docket listings.

Wow.

From what I was able to find, he had 9 trafficking charges. Only 4 remain, with the others having been dropped (if I am reading it correctly). Out of 14 original charges he will go to trial on 4 pill trafficking charges and 5 cocaine possession/purchase charges. He faces 40 years if convicted on all counts.

Misty faces what? In excess of 100 years if she gets the bare minimum on each charge, I believe.

OK, so the charges are not identical, I get that. But what this guy is accused of appears to be far worse--as far as a danger to society--than Misty's drug offenses.

IDK folks...I guess it's time for me to just throw up my hands and hope Lisa was right when she said, "God will be with my daughter."

IMO, this guy should have the key thrown away, but there is more to it apparently by what has been written about both cases than what you actually get caught doing.

This dentist has reportedly turned over info on at least one other person, and like it or not, fair or not, that's the way the system works. It seems to me like he and his lawyer are bargaining with LE, turning in others in return for having charges dropped.

Also, it seems to me this guy has enough money to make bail and get legal representation that is helpful and/or he is listening to.

So, IMO, if Misty was cooperating and providing LE with evidence like this guy is, or if this guy was claiming he can't tell anything, there would be some comparison, but as it stands, to me this would be more of a comparison to what Ron has done, which IMO shows it wasn't a matter of LE having their heads stuck up Ron's hiney, it is just the way the game is played.

All MOO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u