Patsy's Art Work

Bobbarita

Reaction score
Are there any working links to art she produced after JB's murder?

I remember a painting she had done of her children sitting at the beach with their backs to the viewer, looking out at the ocean.

My first impression is disappointment because I do not see these paintings as a window to her soul at all.They do not look at all like therapeutic paintings of someone that lost a child and is battling and loosing a fight with cancer.They look like paintings of an art student trying out different techniques and styles.Patsy is definitely hiding her emotions These paintings are pretty but not revealing IMO

Hey Claudic.

uncanny resemblance,
so PR may not be a good reproductionist?

ITA Claudicici! I felt the same way when I looked at them. She definitely had talent, but the soul is missing.

You're right. Some of Patsy's paintings were simple "copies" she made of other artists' works.

The one of the little boy with his arm around a little girl's shoulders, sitting on the beach--original was very much like that, only better technique and...orginal.

Patsy was a copycat down to her ransom note movie quotes.

My first impression is disappointment because I do not see these paintings as a window to her soul at all.They do not look at all like therapeutic paintings of someone that lost a child and is battling and loosing a fight with cancer.They look like paintings of an art student trying out different techniques and styles.Patsy is definitely hiding her emotions These paintings are pretty but not revealing IMO

You said exactly what I was thinking...they look like my mom's paintings when she started painting class. Not a bad thing, but they are just paint on canvas. My mom's paintings evolved so much and showed emotion and heart and individuality after a while though. Patsy's seem cold in some way. If these are her best workings..? The one of the two kids on the beach is different though. That one has something!

pals.jpg

beachbuddies-md.jpg

The one on top is the original artwork that was copied by PR.

I don't have a problem with Patsy copying, but then again I'm no artist. Evidently, the original reached her, so she made it her own. & I DO get a feeling for what was going on in her life, especially from the titles. starting with, 'Beach Buddies', Topiary Ride on Mackinac', 'Home Port', 'Return to Safe Harbor', & ending with 'At Rest'. pretty descriptive of her life, IMO. I'm also intrigued by the title, 'Cocky Doodle Dude'.

also, if you look at 'The Three Pears', 'Unfinished Garden', & 'Home Again', you'll notice everything is done in 3's. I take that to be John, herself, & Burke...no Jon Benet.

http://fineartamerica.com/images-small/*advertiser censored*-a-doodle-dude-ii-catherine-g-mcelroy.jpg

Cocky Doodle Dude by Catherine G. McElroy

For some reason, the cherry pictures bother me the most, so I did a little googling on their symbolism. don't know if it's related, but here's what I found...'symbolize something new, pure & pristine...something brought back to its original condition, like a lovingly restored classic car'. Now, that could possibly be referring to Jon Benet, but IMO, it's about her family unit...back to the way it was before Jon Benet was born. because again, Patsy used grouping of 3s.

http://fineartamerica.com/images-small/*advertiser censored*-a-doodle-dude-ii-catherine-g-mcelroy.jpg

Cocky Doodle Dude by Catherine G. McElroy
OK. Wow. I've studied art so I know I sometimes copy other artists to learn technique. This is common practice. Art students copy the master's to learn and experience the process. Unless there is a disclaimer that I'm missing she copied other artists work and then passed it off as her own originals? Even the title?

maybe whoever put the website up did it after her death & didn't realize that they are copies ... (?)

yes I think that's possible.Maybe this was done after her death.Maybe she did not even give those titles to the paintings.There's nothing wrong with copying other artists work as far as I know she was not selling or showing her work during her lifetime.

I'm just disappointed because I thought I could "see" something in her paintings.
I don't. Very flat.I do see a bit of emotion in the "beach buddies" painting in the horizon were she uses a darker red and the brush strokes seem more aggressive.
That doesn't seem like much considering that the theme obviously reminds of JonBenet & Burke IMO.
I'm actually sort of distraught by how "light" her paintings are considering what role a paint brush played in the murder of her child.I think I would be trembling every time I touched a paint brush for the rest of my life.I don't know if I could take it.

I appreciate dodies comments but after seeing that the paintings are copied down to the titles I'm not really sure if PR even subconsciously put any deeper meaning in those paintings.

The groupings of 3 are interesting especially "the unfinished garden" because it's the fourth flower that is not finished.
I'm also thinking about the reports when Burke was first interviewed and drew a picture of his family without JonBenet in it.

"'symbolize something new, pure & pristine...something brought back to its original condition, like a lovingly restored classic car"
dodie,I also found that was interesting,I always connect cherries with sexuality or lust.
Knowing what we know happened to JonBenet and all that talk about her hymen I don't think if I were Patsy I would be painting Cherries and I definitely would not find them "delightful",those were my thoughts when I saw the cherry paintings but after you posted the other meaning I'm thinking all her paintings seem to be about restoring innocence.They are completely void of anything negative ,maybe that's why they seem so empty.Maybe they are meant to turn back time and return everything to its pure condition.But they do not convince me.

hope-md.jpg

I think this painting entitled "hope" is interesting,the description reads "An Angel Contemplates the Promises of Eternity" and I can't find a painting she may have copied like it (which doesn't guarantee it doesn't exist)
The angel stands backwards and carries a broken heart between her wings.Inside of the "eternity" block the angel is just a shadow facing forward and is holding the broken piece of the heart.
I definitely think PR saw eternity as a means to mend a broken heart and to restore purity,wholesomeness.IMO she had that believe already before JonBenet died.
It kind of strengthens my belief that she sort of romanticized death and instead of seeing it as the horrible end she saw it as hope and new beginning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back