Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kalekona View Post
    I totally agree with you on that-- it was no problem for us to get SSI for my daughter but it was virtually impossible for my Brother to get disability and he is HIV/AIDES possitive (and has been since the 80's)
    Yea, hearing impairments are much easier to evaluate. With HIV/AIDS, there has to be certain associated illnesses and expressions of the disease. Those are difficult claims and they can break your heart.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ada For This Useful Post:

According to the article I posted above from the Hickory newspaper, the Bakers, especially Elisa, were very busy in 2010.
    JMO

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bellyup View Post
    It's been within the last 14 hours. I checked AY's page this morning and it was not there. (this is what I was referring to earlier). And AB's added some family members as friends but no other activity.
    I find that interesting on more than one level....if he can't pay bills how in the heck is he managing a facebook account? I know it is possible it is not him but dadgum should he not be out searching somewhere for his child? I am pretty sure FB would not be my interest at this time....of course if he does not have a phone or can't afford the rates , this may be his way of communicating with family. Still he has to be paying for an ISP I would think or maybe he is using someone elses.......gosh I am rambling. forgive me and I am trying not to be judgemental here and I am very aware no one grieves the same way....having lost a child I just don't get how some of these folks handle this stress.
    Here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nana46 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nosee_Parker View Post
    Would it be frowned upon that SM didn't have a job given that Zahra was school-aged?

In Australia, it is somewhat acceptable to be a 'stay-at-home-mum' if your child isn't at school but once they are, it's expected the primary care giver will seek employment. Which of course, I think is reasonable.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the child(ren) are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)
    My boys are 11 years apart. When my oldest started school I remained a 'stay-at-home-mom'. I loved being able to volunteer in his class (I was class mom many years) and at his school. I go on all his field trips and would have lunch with him several times a week (while that was still ok with him lol).

I now have a 21 month old as well and still stay involved with my oldest's school and spend lots of time playing and doing fun things with both of them. I am so lucky to have been able to do this.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PunKnLuV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bellyup View Post
    No. It's somewhat common here for moms to stay at home even after their children are school aged. Why would it be frowned up on?
    With two school aged children I run and do more work than most moms I know that work full time.
    However, I do question why in the case of Zahra EB didn't work ? You would think she would have been happy to send her off to school and get her out of her hair at the very least ... and with the extreme money issues.... ????

I just thought of something. I wonder if EB used her previous cancer 'diagnoses' real or iamgined as a lure for AB ?
    I wasn't criticising the choice to remain at home, not at all. Just trying to draw parallels to Australian society. Here, stay-at-home-mum's once a child or children are school-aged are somewhat of a novelty, it's very rare these days.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nosee_Parker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nana46 View Post
    I find that interesting on more than one level....if he can't pay bills how in the heck is he managing a facebook account? I know it is possible it is not him but dadgum should he not be out searching somewhere for his child? I am pretty sure FB would not be my interest at this time....of course if he does not have a phone or can't afford the rates , this may be his way of communicating with family. Still he has to be paying for an ISP I would think or maybe he is using someone elses.......gosh I am rambling. forgive me and I am trying not to be judgemental here and I am very aware no one grieves the same way....having lost a child I just don't get how some of these folks handle this stress.
    Let's face it he probably can't afford the cost of international phone calls and this is the only way to keep in touch with his family in Oz - not defending but I can see why he would join up.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to darnudes For This Useful Post:

But the state's own reviews show it's not uncommon for children to die in North Carolina under suspicious circumstances while their families are under DSS supervision or had recent contact with social workers.
    At least 137 children died during a recent five-year period in cases where abuse or neglect were suspected to have contributed - even though DSS had contact with their families within 12 months before they died, the Observer found. That's up from 119 deaths during the prior five years. And it comes at a time when child deaths overall in the state are at a record low.
    Most of the 137 died from illnesses or accidents, but at least 26 became victims of homicide, usually committed by relatives or caregivers.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz12abI2y71
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to darlin gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darlin gal View Post
    There is a cousin of KB (grandma) on the FB page. (in the comment section under the first link) Intials JH saying that AB and KB had a falling out when he decided to take Zahra to the states and they have not spoken since and that Zahra did NOT want to go.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-4...24056834314060
    Obviously no way to verify at this point whether these statements are true, but seems to me to be consistent with the body of actual and circumstantial evidence we have so far. And if KB hadn't spoken to AB since the move to the US, I doubt she'd have spoken to Zahra either. OF course, hardly her fault, if he wouldn't let her, but given that Zahra is both an Australian citizen and a child with documented history of life-threatening medical probelms, there were legal avenues to pursue, to get her safety checked on and retruned to Australia if found to be in danger, and as far as we've heard, those avenues weren't pursued.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...st-to-see.html

As the investigation enters its second week, the community is rallying around the police department and its chief, Tom Adkins.

Hank Guess said residents are frustrated that they can't do more, but have faith that local police officers will find Zahra, hopefully alive.

"People are not treating this like just another case," said Guess, a city councilman. "There is a lot of compassion."

Adkins' compassion has resonated with the public. During an emotional press conference Monday, he bit his lip to hold back tears when he declared the case was being turned into a homicide investigation.

Adkins is an advocate for children, having served as a board member of the Children's Advocacy Center of Catawba County and a volunteer with the Children's Protection Council.

City Council member Jill Patton described Adkins as a thorough and methodical leader.
    JMO

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

bellyup is offline "the more i see of man the more i like dogs." mme. de staël
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana46 View Post
    My guess is AB isn't saying at his home ... perhaps with a family member or friend? So I'd think he's using their computer and connection.

ETA: I agree that he's done it to update his mom. He added her and several other family members.
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.”

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bellyup For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nosee_Parker View Post
    Would it be frowned upon that SM didn't have a job given that Zahra was school-aged?

In Australia, it is somewhat acceptable to be a 'stay-at-home-mum' if your child isn't at school but once they are, it's expected the primary care giver will seek employment. Which of course, I think is reasonable.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the child(ren) are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)
    MOO I cant and wouldnt speak for everyone but I feel being a stay at home mom/dad is one of the hardest JOBS there is. I wish I could afford to do it on a full time basis. I know alot of people feel guilty about working outside the home but have to for a financial reason. I also know those who would go crazy staying at home all the time. I have been home since May due to finances making me close my business and am loving it but I also know I will soon have to get a job not just because we need the extra income but because if I dont my social security when im older wont be enough to sustain me if something happens to my husband. We dont get any social security benifit fom being stay at home moms or dads. So its either work now or struggle in old age.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to westsidefox64 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ada View Post
    Maybe from private disability insurance but you can't get SSA disability for gambling addiction. Nor for drug or alcohol addiction unless you would still be disabled if you were to abstain from drugs or alcohol (ie the drugs or alcohol have damaged your health to the point that you would not recover).

Sometimes a person doesn't really know what they were approved for. Or they don't tell their friends and family the real reason
    I didn't dig into details. It may have been private, or a state program as opposed to federal.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpuddytat View Post
    Obviously no way to verify at this point whether these statements are true, but seems to me to be consistent with the body of actual and circumstantial evidence we have so far. And if KB hadn't spoken to AB since the move to the US, I doubt she'd have spoken to Zahra either. OF course, hardly her fault, if he wouldn't let her, but given that Zahra is both an Australian citizen and a child with documented history of life-threatening medical probelms, there were legal avenues to pursue, to get her safety checked on and retruned to Australia if found to be in danger, and as far as we've heard, those avenues weren't pursued.
    I don't know if there was too much the Bakers (grandparents) could do legally to be honest. Zahra was in the care of her custodial parent. Knowing the Australian Foreign Department and the way they work I don't think she would have got a lot of assistance. I think maybe the only thing she could have done is hire a PI in the states and try to track them down that way.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to darnudes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    I don't think it has, I know an Australian woman in America doing just that as we speak. She moved over to be with her soul mate she met on the internet, moved over about 6 mths ago - I kid you not. She is also crossing the border into Canada although I'm not sure how long you can keep doing this for.

I know in one case it was easily done for about 4 years without any hassles from immigrations, it was never even questioned.

In the situation that I'm aware of, this guy met a woman while in college that was in the U.S. from somewhere in Europe, seems like it was Italy on a student visa. After college and said student visa expiring, she returned back to her home country. She stayed there for 3 weeks, came right back to the U.S. on a visitor's waiver and like clock work every 85ish or so days, she took a mini-vacation to Canada and re-entered.

They married at some point, I can't remember if it was while they were still in college or not, I know their child was born about 3 years before either of them graduated.

They actually hired an immigrations lawyer, and the lawyer told them "off the record, as a friend" how to do this while they waited out the process.

They did this for about 4 years before they managed to get her permanent status, around 2-years-ago.

There are more holes in so many of our laws, a hunk of Swiss cheese would be jealous.

The thing with the visa waiver, is that it clearly states for both Australia and the U.S. that while on it, you can't do anything that would allow for permanent residence, marriage being one of them.

That said, however, the fact they married in Australia, EB could have gone over on a visitor's waiver, they married on the condition they would be leaving Australia before the expiration of her trip.

This can be done, as I know a woman from another message board that did just this, albeit in New Zealand, but the laws between Australia and New Zealand regarding visitor's visas aren't that different.

After the marriage there, I can think of two things that could have been done.

1: They were honest and filed for a spousal visa from within Australia for AB and did it the "proper" way.

2: Upon leaving Australia, AB came over on a visitor's waiver.

2A: Filed to change visa status after arriving here.

2B: Worked the loopholes.

2C: Visa expired and over extended stay.

Even after 911, trust me, INS doesn't keep too close of tabs on people over staying their visa, unless there is a cause for concern.

Based from their arrival, a man with his young daughter, from an ally nation, would not necessarily trigger a threat to security.

All of the Mexicans, Jamaicans and Haitians that have over extended their stays on temporary work permits and visa waivers aren't a big enough threat that INS goes and rounds them up often.

If they did, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida (that I can swear to,) wouldn't be as over run.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Choux For This Useful Post:

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2...nts-ar-462500/

They were arrested on May 22, 2010 and charged with communicating threats against Elisa’s niece Brittany Bentley, her fiancé Zackery Tyler and the couple’s 7-month-old daughter. The threats stemmed from an outstanding debt Bentley owed them, according to the arrest warrant.

“He (Adam Baker) chased me and my fiancée. He literally tried to run us off the road twice,” wrote Tyler in the complaint accompanying the warrant. “He got in the opposite lane, swerved at the driver’s side and we had to swerve to keep from getting hit, then he passed us and slammed his brakes. We had to slam our brakes and still almost hit him.”

The article states that he was arrested several times. Oh boy...here we go, the truth is out on this guy now.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paulette For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast