Virginia Thomas appears to be looking for some publicity

believe09

Reaction score
this is jmvho, so I will jump right in.

Virginia Thomas is married to Clarence Thomas, a Justice on the SJC. For those of you too young to remember, Anita Hill was an employee of Thomas' who accused him of sexual harrassment during the hearings to determine his fitness for his nomination. She almost suceeded in preventing his nomination, and she sparked a serious debate concerning sexual harrassment in this country. Many view her as a hero and martyr, many view her as an embittered tool of those opposed to the Thomas appointment. Thomas' defense to some of her allegations was that "everyone was doing it at the time."

Just after the Thomas' wrote a book about the experience, they both publicly requested that Hill apologize. Hill, a Brandeis University Professor, declined and stands behind her testimony.

So, on October 9, Virginia left what can only be charecterized as a, umm, self serving message on Hill's answering machine. There is a transcript at the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_anita...3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3Rob21hc3dpZmVzZQ--

Given the details of her party affiliations in the AP story, I have to believe she is attempting to draw attention in some fashion to herself and her beliefs. Or, perhaps the book is scheduled to come out in paperback sometime soon. Not sure. But this is my take on it. :waitasec:

I was wondering what brought this on....I bet you're right, it probably is about publicity.
Terrific.

Thanks for posting, believe

There oughta be a picture of Virginia Thomas next to "chutzpah" in the dictionary. :crazy:

Velouria-THAT was the word I was looking for in my original post!!!!! TY

Think there maybe is a book in the works?

As beleive stated there is already a book, but it may be time for the paperback. OR she can be trying to use this as publicity for her tea party affiliations. It is that time of year....

What a chump!!

I thought too a book..but if there is one, a paperback. Some motive or just a plain putz.

Goz

I am glad that I am not completely alone in my hinky meter going off....

This lady needs to get over it. Her husband lied to her and everyone else. Why can't they leave Ms. Hill alone?

I'm a conservative, I guess, but I don't condone what this Thomas woman did at all.

I see that the last article I looked at had over 4K responses. These people don't even read the article in full. Ms. Hill did NOT contact the FBI. She contacted the security on campus and THEY contacted the FBI.

The only one I can see that is looking for publicity is Mrs. Thomas. Like others stated, there must be a reason. Maybe it is a book, I don't know. But what it DOES DO is bring back memories of the 'he said, she said,' hearing and I think MORE people believe her than him.

If anyone deserves an apology, it's Ms. Hill!

JMHO
fran

PS....and I do NOT blame Ms. Hill for being spooked by this phone message and contacting security. Who does that after 19 years? :rolleyes:

I think she should ask for an apology and I think Anita Hill should give her one.

She already asked for one. They both did. Ms. Hill declines. They should leave her alone.

She already asked for one. They both did. Ms. Hill declines. They should leave her alone.

I believe what Anita Hill did was a crime. Since when do we tell victims of crime to let it go?

Then they should pursue it through the courts rather than the media...or via their book. :)

I believe what Anita Hill did was a crime. Since when do we tell victims of crime to let it go?

I agree, Anita was a huge liar. basically she claims to have overheard a sexist joke?

Buuuuut, Mrs Thomas doesn't need to be contacting her.

JMO

Agreed Egirl-any thoughts on why she might have chosen to at this juncture?

Crap, crap, crap... I just wrote out an explanation and it went POOF. :( Lets re-try this...

Bottom line: we are 2 years out from our presidential elections. This is prime time for presidential hopefuls to start testing the waters. I think this is politically motivated. One rumor going around up here is that Clarence may be bored with the bench and is hoping for a presidential run (which would be STUPID, given that his job is secured for life and in the long term gives him more influence on the shape of this country, than any president would ever have, IMO). OR: his wife is aiming for a run, given that she has started a conservative group that focuses on going against the Obama administration.

By gaining an apology, Clarence or wife could use it as a sympathetic ploy in a presidential bid. By not gaining an apology, both could use it as a key to say that Hill was nothing more than an ongoing product of the Demo machine trying to keep a conservative down.

I could be wrong... but yeah... political aspirations on a grand scale is my theory for this...

Then they should pursue it through the courts rather than the media...or via their book. :)

Why?? Why shouldn't the reach out to her directly? Why did Ms. Hill have to make the call public? What does she gain from it? it's not like Mrs. Thomas was announcing it to the news media....

Clarence Thomas was the one who lied!:razz: He had the Supreme Court at stake, so he claimed it was racially motivated, despite the fact that Anita Hill is a black woman!!! Ms. Thomas is the one who ought to be kissing Anita's feet. Anita didn't get a book or anything out of it, and she was the victim of sexual harassment!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::furious:

Crap, crap, crap... I just wrote out an explanation and it went POOF. :( Lets re-try this...

Bottom line: we are 2 years out from our presidential elections. This is prime time for presidential hopefuls to start testing the waters. I think this is politically motivated. One rumor going around up here is that Clarence may be bored with the bench and is hoping for a presidential run (which would be STUPID, given that his job is secured for life and in the long term gives him more influence on the shape of this country, than any president would ever have, IMO). OR: his wife is aiming for a run, given that she has started a conservative group that focuses on going against the Obama administration.

By gaining an apology, Clarence or wife could use it as a sympathetic ploy in a presidential bid. By not gaining an apology, both could use it as a key to say that Hill was nothing more than an ongoing product of the Demo machine trying to keep a conservative down.

I could be wrong... but yeah... political aspirations on a grand scale is my theory for this...

Have we ever elected a president who came from the bench?

The repubs need to find someone qualified to run in the next election, but IMHO, there's got to be better qualified people than Thomas. :(

JMHO
fran

I don't think either one of them are going to run for president. I do see Mrs. Thomas as a powerhouse behind the scenes though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back