1065 users online (223 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Stand back, he bites: British fisherman grapples with ferocious 'giant piranha'.

British angler Jeremy Wade looks understandably anxious as he grapples with this ferocious-looking 'giant piranha'.

The 52-year-old caught the aptly-named goliath tigerfish during a fishing expedition up the Congo River in Africa.

The brave fisherman was forced to hold the fish at arms-length for fear of being bitten by its razor-sharp teeth while posing with it for the camera.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz133uNLw5w

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

That is not a piranha, it's a Goliath Tiger Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    That is not a piranha, it's a Goliath Tiger Fish.
    Yes, the article called it a Goliath Tiger Fish, but also called it a "larger, more deadly version of a piranha." Makes it sound cooler, I suppose, lol.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I know. I saw that episode months ago, several times. Thanks for posting the article. That is one cool looking fish! Never realized they existed before seeing "River Monsters."

I've been scuba diving in a spring-fed lake and was almost nose to nose with a big Muskie, but the teeth on that Tiger Fish are 10X larger. Glad it didn't bite my nose! Also, almost got my finger bit off by a Northern Pike who made a beeline for my glove across that same lake.

I did feel sad for that little girl who got bit in the side by a Tiger Fish. She was wearing a belt out of shiny bottlecaps and was jumping around in the Congo river. They go for shiny objects.
    Last edited by concentric; 10-22-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Yes, the article called it a Goliath Tiger Fish, but also called it a "larger, more deadly version of a piranha." Makes it sound cooler, I suppose, lol.

The only problem with them calling it a version of a piranha is that the two fish are in completely different families. The fish looks like a scary mofo on it's own. I hate unnecessary media sensationalism.

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh my goodness...as far as I'm concerned all fish with big teeth are Piranha's or Sharks and I've seen some Piranha turtles too!

Thanks for the pictures Dark Knight!
    Last edited by tiredblondy; 10-23-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

I would like to know how he returned it to the water without getting promptly chewed up!
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    British angler Jeremy Wade looks understandably anxious as he grapples with this ferocious-looking 'giant piranha'.

The 52-year-old caught the aptly-named goliath tigerfish during a fishing expedition up the Congo River in Africa.

The brave fisherman was forced to hold the fish at arms-length for fear of being bitten by its razor-sharp teeth while posing with it for the camera.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz133uNLw5w

And my MIL and FIL allowed my hubby to swim in the Congo when he was a little boy........

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    And my MIL and FIL allowed my hubby to swim in the Congo when he was a little boy........
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredblondy View Post
    Oh my goodness...as far as I'm concerned all fish with big teeth are Piranha's or Sharks and I've seen some Piranha turtles too!

Thanks for the pictures Dark Knight!
    I second that emotion...Some people are Piranhas too!
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...