Mummified Body Found In Front Seat Of Car

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
http://www.newschannel6now.com/Global/story.asp?S=13370601

Mummified Body Found In Front Seat Of Car

Police found a mummified body under a coat in the front seat of an illegally parked car.

The driver admits she's had the corpse in her car for months, possibly since January.

(Snipped)

The body was of a homeless woman the driver says she befriended last year and let sleep in her car.

I don't even know what to think of this. Was she driving around with the body? Was the death a homicide or due to natural causes? Is this a mental illness issue?

WTH???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even know what to think of this. Was she driving around with the body? Was the death a homicide or due to natural causes? Is this a mental illness issue?

WTH???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article said "No foul play is suspected" so I assume the homeless women died of natural causes while in the front seat of the car. Whether or not the owner of the car simply covered the women with the coat and kept driving around in the car or if the car had been parked in one spot illegally and unused the whole time is the mystery. But since the article refers to the owner of the car as the "driver" I'm thinking that she was still driving the car at the time when the body was discovered.

Police trying to decide whether woman who drove with mummified body in car for months should face arrest

Authorities are seeking the public's help in learning more about an Orange County woman who drove around with a mummified body for months before authorities discovered the corpse.

Detectives believe the dead woman was a homeless person that the driver befriended at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley -- though detectives are still trying to determine the details of their relationship.

They are also mulling whether the driver should face criminal charges.
---
and more, at
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ody-in-car-for-months-should-face-arrest.html

Police trying to decide whether woman who drove with mummified body in car for months should face arrest

Authorities are seeking the public's help in learning more about an Orange County woman who drove around with a mummified body for months before authorities discovered the corpse.

Detectives believe the dead woman was a homeless person that the driver befriended at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley -- though detectives are still trying to determine the details of their relationship.

They are also mulling whether the driver should face criminal charges.
---
and more, at
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ody-in-car-for-months-should-face-arrest.html

I guess that solves the mystery of if she was driving around this whole time with her friend seated next to her in the car. I can't imagine the smell, which she claims she has a sinus problem and could not smell. Wonder what she thought of all the flies.

Bizarre incident, yes, but not all that different from the subject of British playwright Alan Bennett's play 'The Lady in the Van,' which was a true-life tale of a homeless old woman, both charming and, shall we say, reality-challenged, who Bennett allowed to live in her vehicle that she'd abandoned a few paces from his front doorstep.

Their odd friendship went on several years until he finally did find her dead one morning in her van. He didn't drive around with her body or anything, though; merely arranged for her funeral and burial.

Former real estate agent had become used to the smell, police say

msnbc.com updated <abbr style="display: inline;" class="dtstamp updated" title="2010-10-22T15:22:24">10/22/2010 11:22:24 AM ET</abbr>

A former real estate agent drove with the partially mummified body of a homeless woman in the passenger seat of her car for several months, according to a report.
A former real estate agent drove with the partially mummified body of a homeless woman in the passenger seat of her car for several months, according to a report.
<snip>
The Register said officials believed the woman had been dead for three to 10 months, based on the state of the body. The cause of death was unknown, but an autopsy revealed no signs of foul play, according to the newspaper. more at link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39796763/ns/us_news-life/

Bizarre incident, yes, but not all that different from the subject of British playwright Alan Bennett's play 'The Lady in the Van,' which was a true-life tale of a homeless old woman, both charming and, shall we say, reality-challenged, who Bennett allowed to live in her vehicle that she'd abandoned a few paces from his front doorstep.

Their odd friendship went on several years until he finally did find her dead one morning in her van. He didn't drive around with her body or anything, though; merely arranged for her funeral and burial.

A parked van outside a house is one thing, driving around in your father's car with a dead body in it is another. The father by the way is reported to be a real-estate agent.

I wonder if that qualified her to use the car pool lanes.

Wonder what George and Cindy Anthony think of this???:waitasec::waitasec::waitasec:

This case joins WS's "PA widow lives with corpses of loved ones" in the "life's little oddities" genre (or perhaps the "death's little oddities" one)

PA widow lives with corpses of loved ones - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I can "sort of see" why that sweet little old lady in PA would want to keep her husband in the garage and her sister on the sofa to be close to them after they died. But I don't have any explanation why anyone would drive around in a car with their homeless friend in the front seat next to them other then the person is mentally ill. I think this one tops the little old ladies story 10 times as far as being bizarre or odd.

Maybe it is a good thing she didn't dump the body somewhere. Who would have believed that she was not involved in her friends death if she had just pushed her out of the car in some remote area? As it is now LE just thinks she is a little strange (understatement of the year) and might charge her with a count of moving or disrespect of a corpse.

I can "sort of see" why that sweet little old lady in PA would want to keep her husband in the garage and her sister on the sofa to be close to them after they died. But I don't have any explanation why anyone would drive around in a car with their homeless friend in the front seat next to them other then the person is mentally ill. I think this one tops the little old ladies story 10 times as far as being bizarre or odd.

Maybe it is a good thing she didn't dump the body somewhere. Who would have believed that she was not involved in her friends death if she had just pushed her out of the car in some remote area? As it is now LE just thinks she is a little strange (understatement of the year) and might charge her with a count of moving a corpse.

Agreed. Though some people don't like dealing with authority (i.e., reporting person dead), that's taking it to a bit of an extreme. But, also like you say, at least she didn't push the body out of the car and drive off.

As in all situations when dealing with persons of a delicate mentality, I hope the case has a sane ending.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/105552063.html

Calif. coroner struggling to ID mummified body found in passenger seat of car after 10 months

Authorities say it could take months to identify a homeless woman whose mummified body was driven around in the passenger seat of a Southern California woman's car for months.

Costa Mesa police Sgt. Ed Everett said Friday that medical examiners are trying to hydrate the corpse's fingers to get fingerprints that could identify her.

(Snipped)

There are some details in the video in this article that were left out of the printed articles such as one of the reasons why the women didn't smell the decaying corpse, that she dressed the corpse :waitasec: don't know if that meant she just put a coat over top of the corpse or actually did more and that she originally denied that there was even a corpse in the car when confronted but then came clean. If nothing else she could be charged with obstruction for originally lying about the corpse being in the car.

There are some details in the video in this article that were left out of the printed articles such as one of the reasons why the women didn't smell the decaying corpse, that she dressed the corpse :waitasec: don't know if that meant she just put a coat over top of the corpse or actually did more and that she originally denied that there was even a corpse in the car when confronted but then came clean. If nothing else she could be charged with obstruction for originally lying about the corpse being in the car.

There is really nothing funny about this story....but I first heard about this on the Ken and John show on KFI yesterday...and it was so funny, how the reporters were talking about it - I think the shock and ewwwww factor is one you just almost have to make fun of it. It's just so weird otherwise.
I can kind of understand how she felt like she may get in trouble, but man nothing would make that stink worth it, she'll never get it out of her car....didn't anyone else notice it around her?

and this from the article above
Official told the Orange County Register than they are reviewing health and safety codes to determine whether it is illegal to drive with a corpse.
seriously???? It could be legal to have a corpse and not take care of it?

Well, I think this person should be charged with something, but I do not know what. Clothes and a coat was placed over the corpse, and a baking powder box was found. To me, the baking powder box was placed there in an effort to reduce the smell when the person who placed it there was saying the smell was not a factor due to bad sinuses. Huh?

I agree with you, Joe Friday. She lied to the authorities.

This person obviously has mental issues, IMO. To me, that is no excuse, tho.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/mummified-body-costa-mesa-.html

Mummified body in car identified as homeless woman

A mummified body found inside a parked car in Costa Mesa has been identified as a homeless woman from Fountain Valley, but authorities said they would not release her name until her relatives have been notified.

Police said they have not decided whether to seek criminal charges against a former real estate broker who apparently let the homeless woman sleep in her 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis and then failed to contact authorities after the woman died.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back