910 users online (177 members and 733 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FL - 'Hiccup Girl' Jennifer Mee charged in murder of Shannon Griffin

I cant believe this! What a horrible ending to her whole saga. I had followed her drama over the past few years, the hiccup story and her running away and now this. I have to say that I was totally shocked this morning to see this. If she is guilty what a horrible horrible thing she has done.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cle1130215.ece
    ST. PETERSBURG A St. Petersburg teenager who made national headlines and appeared on numerous TV shows in 2007 over an unrelenting case of the hiccups has been charged with first-degree murder.
    Police say Jennifer Ann Mee, 19, lured Shannon Griffin, 22, to a home Saturday where he was attacked and fatally shot by two men.
    Griffin was pronounced dead at the scene.
    Mee, Laron C. Raiford , 20, and Lamont Newton, 22, all of St. Petersburg, have been arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the killing, which police say was a robbery gone bad.
    After Mee brought Griffin to 511 Seventh St. N, Raiford and Newton approached him with a gun and tried to take "miscellaneous items" from Griffin, police say. Griffin suffered several gunshot wounds to his upper body after he struggled, police said.
    All three suspects admitted their involvement, police said.
    A first court appearance for Mee has been scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Monday at the Pinellas Criminal Courts Complex in Largo.
    Mee's hiccups started in January 2007 and lasted nearly six weeks. At one time, she was hiccupping 50 times a minute and couldn't attend school.
    Mee generated international attention that year for the uncontrollable hiccups, routinely appearing on NBC's Today. Thousands of people from across the globe offered suggestions to help her stop after her story appeared in the St. Petersburg Times.
    She tried all kinds of solutions, including consulting a chiropractor, acupuncturist and hypnotist. At one time, Mee took Valium to stop the hiccups long enough for her to sleep. She also used Prilosec, a medication used to treat acid reflux disease.
    Mee briefly made headlines in January when she went missing. She was eventually found safe after making her way to a relative's home.
    All the media attention came at a high cost.
    In 2007, the competition for Mee's story became so frenzied that NBC's Today show changed Jennifer and her mother's New York hotel after another networrk's exhaustive attempts to get an interview.
    Representatives from ABC's Good Morning America called Mee's home 57 times one day and slipped notes under her hotel room.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

I wonder if her newly-found noteriety (back in 2007) had anything to do with this. After the hiccup situation, did people seek her out? Did she become involved with less-than-savory individuals due to all the publicity? Or was she just a bad seed all along? Althogh I remember the hiccup story, I didn't know anything about what kind of person she was, or home life she had.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    I wonder if her newly-found noteriety (back in 2007) had anything to do with this. After the hiccup situation, did people seek her out? Did she become involved with less-than-savory individuals due to all the publicity? Or was she just a bad seed all along? Althogh I remember the hiccup story, I didn't know anything about what kind of person she was, or home life she had.
    From what I remember there was alot of issues with her home life back then. I think it's St Petersburg and the economy too. Every day I see stories like this in the paper. People used to have pride in their community and St Pete was a great place to live with the stadium, the pier, parks, festivals,and beaches. Now its plagued with abandoned forclosed homes and delapitating empty store fronts. A perfect place for high crime.
    Cindi Lou

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    The article says all 3 confessed so IMO she will be found guilty. Very sad.

Prayers for the victim and all who love him.

I also pray for justice.

Horrible.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    The article says all 3 confessed so IMO she will be found guilty. Very sad.

Prayers for the victim and all who love him.

I also pray for justice.

Horrible.
    Yes they did, but, that will probably be recinded by all saying they didnt get to talk to an attorney.They'll lawyer up. See it happen so often. Especially since I believe the death penalty can come into play because the murder happened in the commision of another felony, robbery. I think that qualifys for the DP. AND then JM will probably take I deal in exchange for testimony on the others, I can see it all now.
    Cindi Lou

BTW, There is also a big drug problem in this area, especially pills. I wonder if this was the whole plan behind it, rob him for money or drugs or both. So many home invasions lately where a drug dealer was the victim. It's a crazy sick world out there and its so sad that this young lady choose the wrong path to take in life.
    Cindi Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Yes they did, but, that will probably be recinded by all saying they didnt get to talk to an attorney.They'll lawyer up. See it happen so often. Especially since I believe the death penalty can come into play because the murder happened in the commision of another felony, robbery. I think that qualifys for the DP. AND then JM will probably take I deal in exchange for testimony on the others, I can see it all now.
    Yep, I see it long and drawn out to.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Unhappy

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cle1130215.ece
    snipped
    "Mee's arrest report listed her current address as 610 5th Ave. N, where neighbors at the small stucco building appeared to be drinking beer around 8:30 a.m. Monday. One neighbor who was not drinking, 48-year-old Sam Hewitt, described Mee as friendly. He said she moved out a couple of weeks ago.

Hewitt said the apartment building was a rough place where crack dealers and crack addicts often hang out, and things are always getting stolen. He said Mee lived in the building two different times and was known to hang out with a boyfriend who sold some people in the building fake marijuana."
    ----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

So where are her parents?? Im not defending her but it just seems like something is missing here. I doubt she was living in this crack apartment building with her parents.
    Cindi Lou

She's 19. Not much parents can do with a 19 year old who wants to live like she was living.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Yes, but there is incite when you see where she came from and sort of can figure how she got to where she ended up. I found the moms mspace. I'll leave it at that and move on.
    Cindi Lou

Daily Mail chimes in with story, link to Hiccup Girl hiccuping, etc. etc.
    Famous hiccuping teen charged with murder for her role in deadly Florida robbery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-murder.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Yep, I see it long and drawn out to.
    They're always long and drawn out. I see lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists, postponements, you name it.

Pardon my cynicism...

What in the HE77?????????

Lawyer: 'Hiccup girl' may use Tourette's defense

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:57 AM CDT
    Updated: Oct 26, 2010 12:37 PM CDT

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - The lawyer for a young Florida woman who was known for unstoppable hiccups and is now accused of murder said Tuesday he may present an unusual defense in her case: His client has Tourette's Syndrome.

Jennifer Mee, 19, was charged Sunday with first-degree murder after police said she lured a 22-year-old man to a meeting where he was robbed and shot a day earlier. St. Peterburg Maj. Mike Kovacsev said police do not believe she fired the gun.

more here

http://www.wave3.com/story/13389773/...rettes-defense
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast