1061 users online (232 members and 829 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Anthony Tumolo, 14, Philadelphia, 15 Oct 1966

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1270DMPA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1270dmpa.html

Anthony Peter Tumolo
    Missing since October 15, 1966 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
    Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
    •Date Of Birth: February 28, 1952
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm); 110 lbs (50 kg)
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes.
    •DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Anthony was last seen on October 15, 1966 leaving his house on his bike, to go to a friend's house.
    The boys had spent the morning delivering "Inquirer" papers. Afterward, they hung out with friends on the steps of nearby Lady of Consolation School, where they were eighth-graders. They parted just before 15.00 to head to their respective homes for supper, planning to meet up again afterward.

Anthony never arrived at his friend's house and has not been seen or heard from since.
    As his parents thought he spent the night at his friends house, they didn't discover he was missing until Anthony failed to return home to deliver his newspapers the next morning.
    At first detectives figured the teen had a motive to run away. Just before he vanished, Anthony had argued with his parents about his paper route, which they wanted him to quit to focus on his school grades.

Anthony had left an uncashed paycheck, some money and all his belongings in his bedroom.
    Anthony is described as stubborn and independent, and naive. He was very family oriented. His family and friends do not believe he ran away, but think that he was the victim of an accident or foul play.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Philadelphia Police Department
    215-685-3257

NCMEC #: NCMC1005677

Source Information:
    National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
    Philly.com

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...o_anthony.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2549/16/
    NamUs Profile:
    Dental: NA
    DNA: sample submitted-tests complete
    Fingerprints: NA

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/onli.../16080872.html
    Posted on Fri, Feb. 29, 2008

Above link has personal accounts of those that love Anthony and still miss him.

Anthony has been missing 44 years. Come home soon.
    (Age of age progression notated at bottom of clickable pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

According to the Charley Project website http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...o_anthony.html, Anthony's best friend, Jack Marino grew up to become a police officer. He has been investigating his best friend's case and uncovered that one of the two youths who said that he saw Anthony after his disappearance had fabricated the story so that he wouldn't be in trouble for something else (being late for school).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    According to the Charley Project website http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...o_anthony.html, Anthony's best friend, Jack Marino grew up to become a police officer. He has been investigating his best friend's case and uncovered that one of the two youths who said that he saw Anthony after his disappearance had fabricated the story so that he wouldn't be in trouble for something else (being late for school).
    Charley Project also says that Marino believes that Anthony was struck by a car, the driver panicked, and hid the body and his bike. No evidence has ever been found. But the main Interstate supposedly where Anthony could have traveled, was under construction at the time and Marino believes that the evidence could be hidden there. LE does not rule out this possibility.

This sounds like something truly tragic. A severe accident or even an abduction.

Satch

I can't help thinking when I read the missing forums from long ago that somebody is sitting next to their grandfather thinking he's wonderful, when all along he's had a secret like this most of his life.

A cold case, a sister's final hope

JOANIE HESS hopes for bones.

Hess, whose younger brother Anthony Tumolo was 14 when he vanished from a Philadelphia street in 1966, has long accepted that he'll probably never be found alive.

But after nearly five decades, she still hopes to bury him with the parents who prayed for his return.

[snip]

Hess said police stopped looking for him after they concluded that he ran off following an argument with his father about giving up his paper route to concentrate on his studies. The city's papers didn't write about his disappearance.

"I learned all about hopelessness and powerlessness when police refused [to believe] that our brother could be anything other than a simple runaway," Hess said. "I think the cops looked through our door, saw our old furniture and thought we were just some dregs, and washed their hands of it."

More: http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-1...police-brother

Bumping case up. In October it will be 48 years since Anthony went missing.

I wonder if Richard Charles Haefner, who is a suspect in the Betsy Aardsma murder (1969) might have been involved in this case. He lived in Lancaster, PA just west of Phila. and would have been 22 at the time. He was an alleged pedophile with a fondness for young teen boys.

I always think he suffered a serious accident or he was abducted. There's nothing to think that he left of his own accord.

It doesn't seem like he left on his own. At the very least he would've cashed the paycheck and taken the money with him. Even at 14 years old, you typically have enough common sense to know that you can't make it without money.

An accident sounds most likely to me. The nearby interstate constriction could have made for an easy dump site, and an unfortunately good one too. It's frustrating that LE stopped searching for Anthony after two kids said they saw him. Someone's word should never be enough to stop searching for a missing person. Then again, they never believed he was really missing, which is also frustrating. I hope justice can somehow be found in this case.

What part of i95?

I know south of Philly was under contruction even well after 1966. I wonder if this happened near the airport near the marshes.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

Charlie Project said Anthony was close to his family, but he had been making poor grades and his parents wanted him to quit his paper route presumably because of this. He had a fight with his parents before he vanished, presumably about this.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...o_anthony.html

Satch