GUILTY CA - Two San Jose teens charged in thrill killing of Michael Russell, 15

Missizzy

Reaction score
I'm surprised to say that I'd never heard of Michael Russell's murder. Very frightening satanic components. I wouldn't call this "dabbling". I'll see if I can find some previous articles to post.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16443579?source=rss&nclick_check=1

The day Michael Russell died, suspect's sister finds 'Satans Sons' drawings in brother's backpack

"On the day Santa Teresa High School [South San Jose, CA] student Michael Russell was stabbed to death, the sister of one accused killer rummaged through her brother's backpack and found drawings of stick figures that depicted him and a suspected accomplice as "Satan's Sons."

LT, 18, testified Tuesday that she found numerous drawings made by her brother Randy Thompson, who along with Jay Williams is accused of fatally stabbing Russell in the backyard of his South San Jose home in November [2009]...."

and

"....Williams and Thompson, who were 15 and 16, respectively, at the time of the killing. They have been charged as adults...."

and

"...."Better now than later, at least he went quick and painless, I think," she read from one of the drawings. "Sorry your son's dead. Maybe your other kids can live long lives. Wait, that was your only kid. Sorry."

Another drawing said: "What do you do when you're knee-deep in blood? You beg me to stop?"

more at link

One of the posters under the last article linked above refers to the two teens on trial as "teens pretending to be satanists". I've never understood this. If you profess a deep interest in satanism, "dabble" (I abhor that word), AND kill someone following discussion of murder and writing and illustrating the act of murder, how does that equal "pretending"?

Who determines who is a REAL satanist? Isn't it like any other religion, belief system, lifestyle or path? Wouldn't you be judged by your actions?

Thanks for the information - as you know I also think there is more to these types of killings than anyone wants to admit. Does every self-proclaimed Satanist kill? No, but throw drugs, the packe mentality and a horrible childhood into the mix and you start to increase the probability...like the article said - parents - please take your children's online personality seriously and don't just shrug it off as a teenage passing fad.

Ziggy--ITA, there's posing and then there's "dabbling". For the life of me I don't quite know what dabbling is supposed to mean. You either subscribe to the lifestyle of you don't. To me, dabbling might mean a fascination with horror films and a certain style of dress. Once you torture of bunny, you are no longer dabbling, IMO. You injure, you abuse, you kill--you've stepped over the line.

And you are right on target with the pack mentality issue. That's what happened with the Russian teens and with Elyse Pahler of California. I still think we might hear of a satanic component in the recent murder of Dystiny Myers in CA. Check out the details and compare them to the two cases I just listed.

This specific case seems a bit different as I'm unclear as to whether this was some sort of ritual (the dates don't line up with anything) and WTH the kids intended to do with their dead friend. This is so typical of the teen brain....not thinking the entire process through. I love the book, "The Primal Teen" as it thoroughly explains how the teen brain works...and doesn't.

I firmly believe that there is a systemic minimization of these crimes so as to not recreate the so-called hysteria of the 80s-90s. I'm sure there were some who were falsely accused then and that's plain wrong. But how many criminals got off because LE and juries got overwhelmed?

What if LE started saying that child *advertiser censored* or gang violence really didn't exist? OK, there are a few dabblers, posers, wannabes but hey, nothing much to see here.....

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_16461128?source=rss

Michael Russell's family never saw tragedy coming

"....During breaks, families of the three boys staked out separate corners of the hallway outside the courtroom, doing their best to ignore one another. Since Michael's death, they have been thrown together in a nightmare that just won't end.

The case against the boys looks strong. Police say they found Michael's blood on Randy's knife and on both boys' clothing. According to court documents, Jae confessed to the killing and Randy admitted being at Michael's house, though he denied killing him.

Still, the families of Jae and Randy cling to the hope that they will be found innocent...."

more at link

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_16461066?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Former Santa Teresa students to be tried in brutal death of classmate

"Two former Santa Teresa High School students accused of murdering a classmate in the backyard of his family's South San Jose home last November will be put on trial. After 3 1/2 days of testimony from current and former Santa Teresa students, a crime scene investigator and a DNA expert, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Griffin Bonini needed just a few seconds Thursday to rule that there is sufficient evidence against Randy Thompson and Jae Williams to have a trial.

The teens are accused of killing Michael Russell, who was found Nov. 10 [2009] in his backyard with multiple stab wounds, according to police.

Thompson and Williams, who were 16 and 15, respectively, at the time of Russell's killing, are being charged as adults. They are next scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 8 for arraignment on the charges...."

and

"...prosecutor Valerie McGuire presented witnesses who testified that Thompson and Williams had individually expressed an interest in Satanism and had tortured animals.

and

"....the large kitchen knife found Nov. 10 in the driveway of the Thompson home on Choctaw Drive was covered with Michael Russell's blood. Randy Thompson's older brother CT testified that he found two sweatshirts underneath a Ford Bronco in the driveway. He brought the sweatshirts inside his family's home and realized one of the jackets contained two knives. A crime lab expert testified that DNA evidence indicated Williams and Randy Thompson had worn the sweatshirts. Both sweatshirts had blood spatters that belonged to Michael Russell, the DNA expert testified...."

more at link

I started a thread today concerning a satanic linked murder I had never heard of--that of 93 year old Irena Roszak of Wisconsin. That made me remember this case and I checked to see if there were any updates. Sure enough, there was...on the very day I went on hiatus. And since when does a bloody knife, described by a teen family member as used to kill a cat, not bring out the inquisition squad? Jeesh. Said he used it to kill a cat?????? Either this family was NOT paying attention, did not care, or was fully supportive of this type of lifestyle. Killing a cat with a knife in South San Jose should wave some mighty red flags.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16575288?nclick_check=1

Vigil planned tonight to remember Michael Russell, San Jose teen stabbed to death last year

"A few days after Michael was found on the grass in his family's backyard, San Jose police arrested two Santa Teresa High students in connection with his murder. The suspects, Jae Williams and Randy Thompson, were 16 and 15, respectively, at the time of Michael's killing and are being charged as adults by the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.

Last month, several of Michael's family members sat through a three-day preliminary hearing, during which Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Griffin Bonini ruled there is sufficient evidence to put Thompson and Williams on trial.

During the hearing, prosecutor Valerie McGuire presented witnesses who testified that Thompson and Williams had individually expressed an interest in Satanism and had tortured animals. A handful of Santa Teresa High students testified that Michael knew both Thompson and Williams and would sometimes hang out with them during and after school...."

and

"....It also was revealed during testimony that no one in the Thompson home called police upon finding the bloody knife. Thompson's parents asked the boys about the bloody knife and were told by Williams that he had used it to kill a cat...."

more at link

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_26196892/defendant-2nd-thrill-kill-trial-blames-his-buddy

The murder trial of a second young man accused of helping his buddy kill a fellow Santa Teresa High School sophomore for thrills began Tuesday in much the same way as the previous trial of his suspected accomplice did -- with finger-pointing.

Only this time, defendant Randy Thompson's lawyer blamed his client's best friend, Jae Williams, in the killing of 15-year-old Michael Russell. Thompson didn't lay a hand on Russell, his lawyer contended, just watched in fear as Williams sneaked up behind Russell on Nov. 10, 2009, put him in a chokehold and stabbed him 12 times in a frenzy...

Earlier this year, it was Williams' attorney who blamed Thompson in his opening statement. Williams had told police he had slashed Michael's throat, but only after he believed Michael was already dead at the hands of Thompson. The jury convicted Williams of first-degree murder anyway and sentenced him to life in prison.

Man convicted of thrill-kill murder of Santa Teresa High classmate

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/21/man-convicted-of-first-degree-murder-in-killing-of-santa-teresa-high-student/

For seven frustrating years as the murder case meandered through the courts, Michael Russell’s family repeatedly relived how two teenagers turned from torturing animals to sadistically butchering their 15-year-old relative with a garden-variety chef’s knife.

The jury in the retrial of one of the culprits, Randy Thompson, found him guilty Monday of premeditated murder in 2009 when he was 15, and an enhancement, personal use of a deadly weapon.

Thompson, still baby-faced at 22, remained expressionless as the verdict was read. He faces 26 years to life in prison. His accomplice, Jae Williams, who was 16 at the time of Russell’s killing, was tried separately and sentenced two years ago to 26 years to life in prison.

“It’s about time,” said Cathy Russell, one of Michael Russell’s aunts. “But it’s the right outcome and that’s all that counts.”

Thompson was first tried in 2014, but that jury deadlocked, forcing the Russell family to endure a third trial. Williams was convicted in 2014 and is serving 26 years to life in prison.

Thompson’s first jury agreed he was guilty, but deadlocked in 2014 on the question of whether to convict him of first- or second-degree murder, prompting the prosecution to try him again this month.

Man convicted as teen of murdering SJ student could be released

The measure (Proposition 57) gives judges the authority, not prosecutors, to decide if juveniles would be tried in adult court.

Since Thompson has not exhausted his appeals, he is allowed a "transfer hearing" in juvenile court.

If a judge decides to transfer the case to juvenile court, the now 24-year-old Thompson could be released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back