OK - Baby's body found in Muskogee Walmart bathroom

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
Why does this sort of thing seem to be a never ending story?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20101027_12_0_MUSKOG613672

Baby's body found in Muskogee Walmart bathroom

MUSKOGEE -- Law enforcement officials are investigating a death after an employee found a baby in the bathroom of a Muskogee Walmart on Tuesday.

A Muskogee Police Department spokesman said police responded to the store at 1000 West Shawnee Street about 6 p.m. and found the baby girl dead in a toilet.

(Snipped)

How horrifying! That poor employee who found that baby girl, discarded in a toilet like waste. Awful.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20101027_12_0_MUSKOG613672

Baby's body found in Muskogee Walmart bathroom

MUSKOGEE -- Law enforcement officials are investigating a death after an employee found a baby in the bathroom of a Muskogee Walmart on Tuesday.

A Muskogee Police Department spokesman said police responded to the store at 1000 West Shawnee Street about 6 p.m. and found the baby girl dead in a toilet.

(Snipped)

I'm just wondering. A Walmart employee discovered the baby's body in the toilet. Where was the mother? Did she stay in the store or leave? I'm confused.

I'm just wondering. A Walmart employee discovered the baby's body in the toilet. Where was the mother? Did she stay in the store or leave? I'm confused.

Walmart stores have more surveillance cameras then a bank does. I wouldn't be surprised if they have cameras hidden in the bathrooms also or at least have a camera pointed at the bathroom doors.

It shouldn't be to hard to figure out who was in that bathroom up until the time the baby was discovered.

a little more info

<snip>

Fetus Found in Walmart Toilet

"We did interview the mother, no charges have been filed against her at this time, the district attorney's office is reviewing our reports," he said.

The DA says the fetus was roughly 20 - 25 weeks old, and that whether or not it was born alive or dead will be a major factor in determining their course of action.

"At this time we don't if the child was, if they're gonna classify it as a miscarriage, if it was a still born child, if the child was born alive, we don't know right now, so that's where the medical examiners officer is gonna have to do their, see what their investigation brings up," said Zardeneta.

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13400238

First of all, I do agree this is a never ending story as babies have been born and left behind since the beginning of time. Just check back in the history books and the newspaper clippings from 50 or 100 years ago.

On the issue of whether the child was "viable", I have extremely divergent opinions. I am the adoptive parent of 22 year old twins who came to us at age 4 years. They were born at 23-25 weeks gestation, drug exposed. They weighed one lb. and one and a half lbs, respectively. They were each 11 inches long. They spent 9 months in the hospital at a cost to California taxpayers of over 2.5 million dollars. They are physically healthy young adults (yes, shocking but true) but they do have extreme challenges.

Our daughter has cerebral palsy, autism, she is deaf and has serious OCD. She has an IQ of 50. Our son has tremendous mental illness and has exhibited criminal behavior since at least age three. He has OCD, is diagnosed with sociopathy and reactive attachment disorder. He is also gender-confused and has an IQ in the low 70s. Our daughter lives with us and is a joy but her challenges are lifelong and she will never live independently. Our son is in and out of jail and prison and is a constant challenge. He's handsome and charming but has no real moral compass and struggles with his disabilities. I guess the bottom line is that they made it--they are the survivors.

Then, we have a dear young friend who had a child unexpectedly a few years ago at 22 weeks. The baby was born in our local hospital and no attempts were made to "save" the infant. She was allowed to pass in her mother's arms within an hour or so of her birth. The mom has lovely photos of her little angel and she moved on with her life, never forgetting. She has gone on to marry and to have three more little girls. She's doing well and her husband is a doctor.

I don't want to see babies left to die in the Walmart restroom but I really don't know which "door" I would choose about saving a "viable" infant. I've had the opportunity to weigh in only one time, when our granddaughter was born with tremendous physical disabilities. She was born at home and never really took a breath. What a blessing as she was not meant for this world. She was transported to the local hospital, the doctors all gave us fair information and the family chose. We all stood around her parents and sang her into the next world. She flies with the angels. Hardest thing, bar none, which I've ever done.

Which is the right course of action? I truly don't have the answers.......

Bless this tiny one. May they join the other little ones born too soon...up above.

First of all, I do agree this is a never ending story as babies have been born and left behind since the beginning of time. Just check back in the history books and the newspaper clippings from 50 or 100 years ago.

On the issue of whether the child was "viable", I have extremely divergent opinions. I am the adoptive parent of 22 year old twins who came to us at age 4 years. They were born at 23-25 weeks gestation, drug exposed. They weighed one lb. and one and a half lbs, respectively. They were each 11 inches long. They spent 9 months in the hospital at a cost to California taxpayers of over 2.5 million dollars. They are physically healthy young adults (yes, shocking but true) but they do have extreme challenges.

Our daughter has cerebral palsy, autism, she is deaf and has serious OCD. She has an IQ of 50. Our son has tremendous mental illness and has exhibited criminal behavior since at least age three. He has OCD, is diagnosed with sociopathy and reactive attachment disorder. He is also gender-confused and has an IQ in the low 70s. Our daughter lives with us and is a joy but her challenges are lifelong and she will never live independently. Our son is in and out of jail and prison and is a constant challenge. He's handsome and charming but has no real moral compass and struggles with his disabilities. I guess the bottom line is that they made it--they are the survivors.

Then, we have a dear young friend who had a child unexpectedly a few years ago at 22 weeks. The baby was born in our local hospital and no attempts were made to "save" the infant. She was allowed to pass in her mother's arms within an hour or so of her birth. The mom has lovely photos of her little angel and she moved on with her life, never forgetting. She has gone on to marry and to have three more little girls. She's doing well and her husband is a doctor.

I don't want to see babies left to die in the Walmart restroom but I really don't know which "door" I would choose about saving a "viable" infant. I've had the opportunity to weigh in only one time, when our granddaughter was born with tremendous physical disabilities. She was born at home and never really took a breath. What a blessing as she was not meant for this world. She was transported to the local hospital, the doctors all gave us fair information and the family chose. We all stood around her parents and sang her into the next world. She flies with the angels. Hardest thing, bar none, which I've ever done.

Bless this tiny one. May they join the other little ones born too soon...up above.

God Bless You Missizzy, Thank you for sharing.

You have a very generous and loving heart! :blowkiss:

Even if the baby wasn't viable, you just don't leave a newborn baby in the toilet! This was a baby and he/she deserved the same dignity and respect as any other human being. Whether stillborn or not, anyone with any sense at all would not just walk away and leave a baby in the toilet.

maybe she did not know she was pregnant. maybe she was scared. maybe she saw the movie "where the heart is." and thought someone would help. We don't know the circumstances. the odds of this child living a "normal" life are iffy. if the tox screen comes back that this woman is a druggy then by all means prosecute her to the fullest. If this is natures way of saying its not meant to be...then let it go. love the baby and let her go.

maybe she did not know she was pregnant. maybe she was scared. maybe she saw the movie "where the heart is." and thought someone would help. We don't know the circumstances. the odds of this child living a "normal" life are iffy. if the tox screen comes back that this woman is a druggy then by all means prosecute her to the fullest. If this is natures way of saying its not meant to be...then let it go. love the baby and let her go.

Definately nail her to the cross if she's a druggy. How about if she's an alkie? They do a tox for that as well?

Not entirely disagreeing with you here but "maybe she was scared, maybe she saw a movie" don't cut it entirely either. Some addicts and alcoholics are afraid as well. Then that happens. Baby left in a toilet.

Thank you so much for eloquently giving a dose of reality.

RIP little one.

Simply beautiful, thank you for sharing this with us. Your words touched my heart.

No excuse for this at all. I don't care if she was scared or a druggie. I don't care if she didn't know she was pregnant.

We are talking about a baby here!

Still born or not, this mother should face charges IMO.

Even if the baby wasn't viable, you just don't leave a newborn baby in the toilet! This was a baby and he/she deserved the same dignity and respect as any other human being. Whether stillborn or not, anyone with any sense at all would not just walk away and leave a baby in the toilet.

Can you imagine, just for an instant, what this poor woman went through? She didn't just sit down to go to the bathroom, and "poof", a baby came out. She must have been experiencing some type of "issues". Having suffered at least 4 miscarriages (that I know of), I can tell you, for a fact, that it's not just like, "poof", I sat down to use the toilet, and there's a baby there!

She didn't "flush" it away. Was she supposed to grab it out of there with her bare hands, and walk through the store with it? Have you ever been in a situation like that? What did you do? (And by "a situation like that, I don't mean, have you ever had a miscarriage, and what did you do? I mean, have you ever been in a WalMart, sat down to use the toilet, and suffered a miscarriage, and what did you do?). There's a big difference between being in a dr's office, hospital, or even your own home, vs. a public restroom at a supercenter. Really...what should she have done in that instance? Gone to housewares and picked up a plastic container to put the child's remains in to take to the doctor? Can you even imagine putting yourself in that situation to do that? She must have been bleeding terribly. Maybe she should have called someone. But maybe she was in a state of shock and not thinking clearly. I know I wouldn't be.

Have a little compassion.

Can you imagine, just for an instant, what this poor woman went through? She didn't just sit down to go to the bathroom, and "poof", a baby came out. She must have been experiencing some type of "issues". Having suffered at least 4 miscarriages (that I know of), I can tell you, for a fact, that it's not just like, "poof", I sat down to use the toilet, and there's a baby there!

She didn't "flush" it away. Was she supposed to grab it out of there with her bare hands, and walk through the store with it? Have you ever been in a situation like that? What did you do? (And by "a situation like that, I don't mean, have you ever had a miscarriage, and what did you do? I mean, have you ever been in a WalMart, sat down to use the toilet, and suffered a miscarriage, and what did you do?). There's a big difference between being in a dr's office, hospital, or even your own home, vs. a public restroom at a supercenter. Really...what should she have done in that instance? Gone to housewares and picked up a plastic container to put the child's remains in to take to the doctor? Can you even imagine putting yourself in that situation to do that? She must have been bleeding terribly. Maybe she should have called someone. But maybe she was in a state of shock and not thinking clearly. I know I wouldn't be.

Have a little compassion.

While I have been blessed to have had healthy pregnancies and never suffered a miscarriage, I have worked with 24 week gestation infants in the NICU...they are babies not just tissue as would be seen in an earlier term miscarriage. They have a head, arms, legs, body, tiny, tiny hands, fingers, feet and toes, a brain and other vital organs (not fully developed). While some are not viable at that age and are kept on respirators to no avail; others survive. Yes, most will have life long disabilities but there are some who will overcome the odds. I have no idea if this baby was stillborn or not however, that it not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that the baby was left in a public restroom toilet! This is totally unacceptable. What if a child had entered that stall and found that baby?
Do I think the mother should have retrieved the infant from the toilet...yes, absolutely! If she couldn't do it then she should have called EMS. She herself probably required treatment as well as she could have bled to death had any of the placenta remained in her body.
In answer to your question, what would I do?
I would pick my baby up out of the toilet, call for help, wrap him/her in a towel or blanket and wait for EMS.
This is what a 24 week gestation infant looks like...could you leave that in a public toilet?
picture.php

http://www.donnaleeoriginals.com/Miracle.html

How very sad.

I would have been screaming like a maniac and help would have found me.

I can't think of a single good excuse for leaving the baby in the toilet.

:(
moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123