Dugard case: Battle over making grand jury transcripts public

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
By John Simerman
Contra Costa Times

Posted: 10/27/2010 06:21:14 PM PDT
Updated: 10/27/2010 07:32:54 PM PDT
The prosecutor in the case against Phillip and Nancy Garrido wants a judge to keep grand jury transcripts sealed until a criminal jury is picked, arguing that releasing them would violate Jaycee Dugard's privacy rights and could compromise the couple's right to a fair trial.
El Dorado County District Attorney Vern Pierson on Wednesday filed a challenge to a bid by several news agencies to release the transcripts, which include testimony from Dugard, two El Dorado County investigators and a Contra Costa sheriff's detective.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_16451190

As much as I would like to read the transcripts, my desire to do so should not ever trump Jaycee's desire (if so) and ultimate right, to keep the horrific details of the life she endured for so many years at the hands of her evil captors, as private as possible.

The kidnapping of child going undected for so many long, horrific years (on both the parents and kidnapped child) is so incredibly disgusting and tragic that she, her girls, and her Mother have an absolute right to keep the sordid pain of the ugly details to themselves and those in attendance in the courtroom. Period.

Please, do not let the prosecutors allow anything that could compromise the trial to be released!! Jaycee doesn't need the heartache of going through multiple trials and her privacy is much more important than the Garridos any day! Unfortunately, more than we need to know will be discussed during and after the trial.

Prosecutor moves to keep Dugard documents sealed

The Associated Press
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:23:26 PM PDT

"PLACERVILLE, Calif.—El Dorado County's district attorney is objecting to efforts to make public transcripts from the grand jury that indicted the couple accused of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard."

"Several news organizations, including The Associated Press, have asked to have the grand jury transcripts unsealed. A judge is scheduled to consider the matter on Nov. 4."

Posted: 7:05 pm PDT November 3, 2010Updated: 11:58 pm PDT November 3, 2010
SAN FRANCISCO -- The attorney representing one of two people charged in the Jaycee Lee Dugard kidnapping case is seeking to keep the documents in the case sealed. Stephen Tapson, the court-appointed attorney representing Nancy Garrido, filed legal documents in El Dorado Superior Court Monday asking the judge presiding over the case against his client and her husband, Phillip Garrido, to keep the documents and transcripts in the case sealed. In the filing, Tapson argues that a "release of the previously sealed documents would prejudice her (Nancy Garrido's) right to a fair jury trial."
<snip>
The filing comes ahead of hearing set for Thursday on Phillip Garrido's competency and ability to enter his own plea. El Dorado County Superior Court Judge Douglas Phimister on Thursday will also consider a motion filed earlier this month by The Associated Press, The Sacramento Bee, the Hearst Corp., Gannett Co. Inc., the Los Angeles Times and the Bay Area News Group seeking to unseal the documents. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/25627784/detail.html

Funny that attorneys want to protect their clients, but have no regard for Jaycee or her daughters. f the testimony becoming public could help the Garridos, they would be pushing in the opposite direction. Honestly though, I am very pleased that this also benefits Jaycee!

Funny that attorneys want to protect their clients, but have no regard for Jaycee or her daughters. f the testimony becoming public could help the Garridos, they would be pushing in the opposite direction. Honestly though, I am very pleased that this also benefits Jaycee!

:waitasec:Why would i help the Guaridos? :waitasec:They did horrific things those darn animals. :banghead:

I do agree that it should be kept sealed for JC's sake :(
I would not want to read it, no way. I think I know enough.
PS: Attorney's are most often slime buckets.
I have no idea how they represent half of the chit they represent.

:waitasec:Why would i help the Guaridos? :waitasec:They did horrific things those darn animals. :banghead:

I do agree that it should be kept sealed for JC's sake :(
I would not want to read it, no way. I think I know enough.
PS: Attorney's are most often slime buckets.
I have no idea how they represent half of the chit they represent.

It benefits the G's because it keeps the details of their crimes private until they enter court. Happily it benefits Jaycee and her daughters also.

It benefits the G's because it keeps the details of their crimes private until they enter court. Happily it benefits Jaycee and her daughters also.
I am confused - you say if it goes PUBLIC it will help them.
HOW?
I say if it stays Privet it helps JC - I think however the details will come out in part in the court room.

I am confused - you say if it goes PUBLIC it will help them.
HOW?
I say if it stays Privet it helps JC - I think however the details will come out in part in the court room.

Songline, Nancy's attorney is the one who wants to keep the records private, please reread the beginning of the thread, prior to my post

LinasK
Defense Attorney In Dugard Case Seeks To Keep Seal
SAN FRANCISCO -- The attorney representing one of two people charged in the Jaycee Lee Dugard kidnapping case is seeking to keep the documents in the case sealed. Stephen Tapson, the court-appointed attorney representing Nancy Garrido, filed legal documents in El Dorado Superior Court Monday asking the judge presiding over the case against his client and her husband, Phillip Garrido, to keep the documents and transcripts in the case sealed. In the filing, Tapson argues that a "release of the previously sealed documents would prejudice her (Nancy Garrido's) right to a fair jury trial."
<snip>
The filing comes ahead of hearing set for Thursday on Phillip Garrido's competency and ability to enter his own plea. El Dorado County Superior Court Judge Douglas Phimister on Thursday will also consider a motion filed earlier this month by The Associated Press, The Sacramento Bee, the Hearst Corp., Gannett Co. Inc., the Los Angeles Times and the Bay Area News Group seeking to unseal the documents. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/25627784/detail.html

Thank you Linas! Songline, thought you knew me better then that!

Songline, Nancy's attorney is the one who wants to keep the records private, please reread the beginning of the thread, prior to my post

LinasK
Defense Attorney In Dugard Case Seeks To Keep Seal
<snip>

Thank you Linas! Songline, thought you knew me better then that!
BBM; I was sincerely getting confused. :innocent:
I have not been reading here very much :blowkiss:

By LISA LEFF, Associated Press
Associated Press December 2, 2010 02:54 PM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod
Thursday, December 2, 2010

(12-02) 14:54 PST Placerville, Calif. (AP) --A judge delayed a ruling Thursday on whether to release a grand jury transcript that contains testimony from a California woman whom prosecutors say was held for 18 years by a parolee and his wife.
The ruling by Judge Douglas Phimister came in response to a motion by several media organizations.
A defense lawyer had argued that releasing the "tale of terror" told by Jaycee Dugard would make it impossible to find an impartial jury.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/12/02/state/n144702S19.DTL#ixzz170DZ9BBX

Wonder how long it will take for a decision? Thank you Linus!

Garridos Transcript To Stay Sealed

Judge: Public Release Could Jeopardize Fair Trial

POSTED: 8:50 am PST February 28, 2011
UPDATED: 9:43 am PST February 28, 2011

<snip>

Judge Douglas Phimister said in a hearing on Monday morning, with regard to the grand jury transcripts and Phillip Garrido's mental health records, release prior to jury selection will prejudice the defendant's right to a fair trial.

http://www.kcra.com/r/27024506/detail.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni