Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico - Daniel Dion from Ontario Canada, 51, Acapulco, 22 Oct 2010

Mexico - Daniel Dion from Ontario Canada, 51, Acapulco, 22 Oct 2010

Ontario man missing in Mexico
    By Meghan Hurley, Ottawa Citizen
    October 28, 2010 5:04 PM
    OTTAWA — An eastern Ontario man attending a showcase in Mexico hasn't been seen or heard from seen since last Friday and his family is now fearing the worst.

Daniel Dion went to Acapulco three weeks ago to showcase eco-purses he designs.

Family members said the 51-year-old normally calls family — including his wife — frequently while away. But on Friday, Dion's contact with his family stopped.

Dion, of Carleton Place, about 50 kilometres southwest of Ottawa, was scheduled to visit his lawyer Friday night or Saturday morning, but he never showed up, his family said.

Daniel Dion, 51
    from Carleton Place, eastern Ontario
    went missing while on a business trip to Acapulco, MEXICO.
    He was last heard from Friday, Oct. 22, 2010.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Ontario+m...088/story.html
    Last edited by Salem; 10-31-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Eastern Ontario businessman missing in Mexico
    Canada's department of Foreign Affairs is investigating after an eastern Ontario businessman disappeared while on a business trip to Mexico.

Daniel Dion, 51, of Carleton Place, was supposed to return home from a trip to Acapulco on Tuesday. However, he was not on the plane. His family last heard from him when he called his wife on Friday night.

The following day Dion didn't show up to a business meeting, which is highly unlike him. He also hasn't made any credit card transactions since last week.

Dion runs an eco-purse business based in Mexico. His family told CTV Ottawa the fabric used to make the purses is bought in Mexico, and the purses are made by Mexican prisoners.
    Dion, who has a home in Carleton Place, also has an apartment in Mexico. He is originally from Sherbrooke, Quebec.
    more: http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...028?hub=Ottawa
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

This article contains more detailed information:
    <<< snippets >>>
    Family of Daniel Dion say he was last heard from while at a restaurant in Acapulco on Friday.
    Dion is a frequent traveller to Mexico and very familiar with Acapulco.

"It's completely strange, it's not like (he was) a simple tourist who isn't careful," his niece said Thursday.

Now, fraught with worry but determined to find answers, four members of Dion's close family are in Acapulco meeting with Mexican authorities.
    Dion had been in Mexico since September 28. He is the CEO of Mexican-based company Ecopurse, which uses recycled materials to make purses. His family says he is also an influential businessman who knew many high-level government officials, including the country's president.
    The family is also asking the public for help. His niece said she had created a website (finddanieldion.com) (link below) where latest updates on the search will be shared and through which people can contact her family.
    FIND DANIEL DION site : http://finddanieldion.com/

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...search-101028/
    ★ Thank you ★

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

tarabull is offline Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=4968205

While Acapulco remains a popular getaway for Mexico City residents and foreign tourists, it has been hit by drug-gang violence in recent years.

Fighting between two rival factions of the crumbling Beltran Leyva drug cartel has resulted in shootouts and deaths, and Mayor Jose Luis Avila Sanchez has warned people to stay indoors after dark — an extraordinary pronouncement for a city whose economy depends deeply on nightclubs, restaurants and bars.

"The message is for everyone in Acapulco to keep working ... and avoid going out at night, avoid nightly activities whenever possible," Sanchez told reporters Wednesday night.

At least six people were killed in Acapulco on Wednesday, including three men and five women whose bodies were found bound and blindfolded.

And authorities are investigating the Sept. 30 disappearance of 20 men were visiting Acapulco from the city of Morelia, in neighbouring Michoacan state. Michoacan is dominated by the rival La Familia cartel, raising suspicions about a visit by such a large group of men travelling without their families. Michoacan officials insist they were simply on vacation.
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

This certainly is a scary thing to happen for a family. Here is a man who calls home 50 times a day and is coming home for his birthday. He knows many high level Mexican officials.
    But, LE in Mexico won't help look for him.
    I hope his family is checking in with all of his friends.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Family have discovered he left a restaurant at 3:00am and had $41,000 in cash on him. Family does not know why he would have that much cash on him.

..It sure seems like there is a clear motive for robbery and kidnapping...
    Gary Haugen

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Here's Daneil's business website

http://www.ecopurse.ca/
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Here's Daneil's business website

http://www.ecopurse.ca/
    Thanks Tara; had been checking those videos. Those purses are very time-consuming to make. The barcodes one is interesting. They plant a tree for every purse that is sold.
    Click on the youtube link itself, if that song doesn't let you listen to what the girl is saying

Here is the link to yet another small business Daniel Dion runs. Apparently, he was looking for new plywood suppliers for his Shed Ottawa business, and he was going to meet a new supplier Saturday in Chilpancingo, about an hour away from Acapulco.

Shed Ottawa: http://www.shedottawa.com/index.php?page=succursales
    ★ Thank you ★

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Family retraces steps of missing Carleton place man in Acapulco
    October 29, 2010 6:49 PM

<<< snippets >>>
    Family members drove around Acapulco, Taxco and Chilpancingo on Friday — all areas Dion may have visited before he disappeared. Their exhausting search lasted most of the day, family members said.
    More details have now emerged about the last time Dion was spotted. It was 2 a.m. Oct. 23 when he left a restaurant in Acapulco with three men and drove to a friend’s house. The car was not his.

Catherine Dion, the missing man’s daughter, said the restaurant won’t give up the security video tapes to identify the three mystery men.

Earlier that day, Dion told his assistant he had $500 U.S. in his wallet for a business transaction the next day. [ there's a big discrepancy in the amount of cash he was supposed to be carrying, wonder which article is correct ]

This past Thursday, Dion’s family discovered that he had rented a white Volkswagen Jetta. The car is still missing.
    Dion always carried three phones to make sure he had reception to call home.
    George W. Grayson, a professor in Williamsburg, VA and an expert on Mexican police, says in cases like this it might be better to hire a private investigator.

In the past, police and military have been implicated in kidnapping cases, Grayson said.
    Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Family+...205/story.html

I remember reading about one case in Mexico, where the kidnapped man was kept inside a 'box' with lights on 24/7, loud noise, almost no food (a boiled egg a week or something like that), and ransom was in the millions.
    It's been almost a week, and we haven't heard anything re ransom demands
    Hope D.Dion is still alive.
    ★ Thank you ★

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...mexico-101029/

Just to clarify amount of money said to be on his person:
    Maybe over 4000.00 US dollars?

Dion's 23-year-old niece, Franceska Dion, says the family has now learned more details about the night he went missing.

"We just found out that he went out to a restaurant in an Acapulco town. He left the place at 3 a.m. last Friday night, so Oct. 22. We also know that he had 500,000 pesos in his pocket," she told CTV's Canada AM Friday morning.

Five hundred thousand pesos is worth about CDN$41,000. As for why Dion would be walking around with that kind of money, Franceska said she didn't know.
    Last edited by dreamweaver; 10-30-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add question
    Gary Haugen

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...mexico-101029/

Just to clarify amount of money said to be on his person:
    Maybe over 4000.00 US dollars?

Five hundred thousand pesos is worth about CDN$41,000. As for why Dion would be walking around with that kind of money, Franceska said she didn't know.
    RSBM

Mexican Pesos 500,000 = Cdn $41,000 = US $40,500

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/currency...submit=Convert
    ★ Thank you ★

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Ottawa-area man found dead in Mexico

http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/home/ot...exico/042588f5

"His sister, Johanne Dion, confirmed on Sunday that authorities have found his body, but provided no other details. Family members had flown to Mexico to help with the search."

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to koolmum For This Useful Post:

Rip daniel dion

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Quebe...521/story.html

Quebecer Daniel Dion found slain in Mexico

The lifeless body of Sherbrooke native Daniel Dion, 51, was found in the trunk of his rented car in Mexico on Saturday. The car was had been torched, his daughter said.

Dion, who ran a company that makes purses out of recycled materials, had been on a business trip near Acapulco, and was missing since Oct. 22.

“They beat him to death and burned the car,” Catherine-Elizabeth Dion said Sunday.

She did not know exactly where the car was found.

He was the type of person who called or texted his wife, friends and family members many times a day, so his relatives became concerned when he was not reachable on Oct. 23. Somebody tried to use his credit card on Saturday but the card was declined.

Dion, who lived near Ottawa and also had a home in Taxco, Mexico, was to travel on Sat. Oct. 23 to Chilpancingo, about 100 kilometres northeast of Acapulco.

Dion relatives had been in Mexico searching for him for the past few days.

Dion is the second Canadian slain in southern Mexico since 2007. Also in that period, a Canadian was killed in a hit-and-run and a couple was wounded in a robbery attempt.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:

Wow - was hoping that Daniel would have been found alive. Mexico it seems, is a scary place right now. It is such a beautiful place, however I am sure that this and other stories of killings and violence will change peoples minds when chosing vacation plans. Thinking of Daniels family right now - I hope they get the answers as to what happened to him. RIP

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyducky For This Useful Post:

The day of his disappearance he was headed to the Barbarroja bar with a man named Carlos Ortega Cardenas. The next day he was to have travelled east of Acapulco to meet with business contacts.

Neither he nor his white Volkswagen Jetta made it to the rendezvous.
    http://://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canad.../15897096.html

His family said the last time he was seen alive was on Oct. 22, when he was heading towards a restaurant called Barbarjoia with a business associate.
    Dion, who had a home in Taxco, Mexico, was scheduled to fly home on Oct. 26.

Someone tried to use one of his credit cards on Oct. 23, but it was declined. Not long after that, family members flew to Mexico to try to help authorities find him.

At first, the family hoped to free him by paying a ransom, but no ransom demand ever came.

On Sunday, his charred remains and his watch were found in the trunk of his rental Volkswagon Jetta, on a road in Zumpango del Rio, about 130 kilometres from Acapulco.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-car-in-mexico

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...106403093.html
    Bolduc discovered that his uncle had rented a 2010 white Jetta from Hertz, which was equipped with a GPS tracking device. The rental car company got in contact with the GPS tracking company, and on Wednesday they confirmed the grisly discovery.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-car-in-mexico
    Contract killers murdered Canadian businessman Daniel Dion and stuffed his body into the trunk of his rental car in southern Mexico before setting it ablaze, his family believes.
    \

Such a very sad end to a seemingly wonderful family man.
    RIP
    Gary Haugen

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

OTTAWA - It was Daniel Dion's own frantic family who found his skeletal remains in the trunk of his rented burned Volkswagen Jetta.
    Dion's car was found in the mountainous outskirts of Guerrero, around 3:30 p.m. Saturday, local time. Family members had tracked it there because the car was equipped with a GPS tracking system.

The GPS stopped sending a signal around 10 a.m. Sunday - likely the time the car was set on fire.

Family members, including Dion's partner Denise Lalonde, were present when the trunk was opened revealing human remains.

"Everything in the auto had melted, the dash and the windows. Through the holes where the turn-signal lights were, we saw what seemed to be bones," said one of Dion's nephews who didn't want to be identified.

"The police lowered the back seat and we saw remains - remains of a skeleton. There was part of a cranium, vertebrae and some bones."

Family members are still waiting on DNA tests to determine conclusively if the remains are Dion's. They found a burned watch which we they believe was his.
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../15897096.html

So very sad. RIP Mr. Dion.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gogrannypop For This Useful Post:

DNA tests needed to confirm remains in Mexico

The family of a missing Ottawa-area businessman will stay in Mexico until DNA tests confirm human remains found in Daniel Dion's burned-out rental car belong to him.

[snip]

The only identifying factor was a watch Dion was wearing the night he went missing. Although his family is still waiting for DNA confirmation, they have little doubt the remains belong to Dion.

More: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...emains_101101/
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

'My brother was executed': Dion's sister

By DOUG HEMPSTEAD, Ottawa Sun
    Last Updated: November 1, 2010 2:20pm

It was Daniel Dion’s own frantic family who found his skeletal remains in the trunk of his burned Volkswagen Jetta.
    Dion’s sister, Johanne, still in shock from the news, thinks Dion was targeted.

“My brother was executed,” she said, speaking Sunday from her home in Sherbrooke, Que. “It was ordered by someone. It was because he was involved in social causes and knew government officials.”

She was also critical of the lack of help the family received in the hunt for the missing man.

“It’s my family that did all the investigation and it’s thanks to my family that we found my brother.”

She said it was Dion’s brother, Gaetan, who first learned his body had been found.
    Photos of burned white 2010 VG Jetta: http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa...-15898521.html
    ★ Thank you ★

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

From our own investigations we can confirm the following:

On the last night Daniel was seen, he did have some cash. But the amount is between $500 to $5,000, which is a lot of money in Mexico but nowhere near the $41,000 or $100,000 US which was reported.

There is absolutely no way that anyone can confirm that Daniel was beaten to death. The Mexican forensics will continue their investigation on this.

Daniel was a honorific consul here in Mexico and had many powerful contacts in the government. He gave work to over 2,000 Mexicans — prisoners and people of the poor mountain communities of Costa Chica and Costa Grande. He paid them double their salaries for their work making purses for ecopurse.

If I had any advice to give to anybody that has to live the nightmare that our family is going through it’s the following: get an interpreter and work your own investigation.

Read full article:
    http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa...-15898391.html

Rest in Peace Daniel Dion

★ Thank you ★

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Reports suggest slain Canadian had criminal ties

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../15912451.html

OTTAWA - The hot Mexican sun baked Daniel Dion’s bones for days after he was first discovered.

Concern for property -- not the man -- led a car rental agency to where Dion was broiled in the trunk of a Volkswagen Jetta.

Perhaps fearful of people who leave a man to be stripped to the bones by licking flames, a GPS-company man left the skeleton to the 30-degree heat and Dion’s family in the dark.

Dion’s fates hint at a contract killing, family members say. And Mexican news reports suggest that Dion had strong ties to a world of criminals and politicians.

His Ecopurse company employed more than 2,000 prisoners and in an August IRZA news agency interview, Dion bragged of unfettered access to the prison system.

He also boasted of his connections to powerful politicians, including Mexican President Felipe Calderon.

Mexican media report he had faced accusations of influence peddling.

His family believes he fell afoul of professional criminals.

Whatever the truth, Dion’s skeleton remained in the burned out car for days.

As Dion’s family grew worried about his fate, Hertz had grown concerned for its rental car -- a new Jetta retails for about 237,000 pesos or $19,500. The onboard GPS signal had winked out at 10 a.m. on Oct. 24, two days after Dion’s family lost touch with him.

Hertz dispatched GPS-company Encontrack. A staffer found the charred hulk and what may have been human remains in the trunk but Hertz filed no police report and didn’t tell Dion’s family.

It was not until Wednesday that a family member who had flown to Acapulco winkled that information from Hertz representatives. Even then, it took OPP investigators to scrutinize Dion’s credit card history before the family even knew where Dion had booked his final rental.

On Thursday, 33 km north of Chilpancingo, Mexico -- 100 kms northeast of Acapulco -- family finally arrived at the site of Dion’s death.

He was unrecognizable. But the skeleton in the trunk wore his wristwatch.

Mexican authorities will conduct an autopsy to determine how Dion died and, perhaps, to learn if he was alive when the car was set alight.

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:

Man killed in Mexico had criminal record
    Last Updated: Monday, November 1, 2010 | 11:52 PM ET

An Ottawa-area man whose remains were found the trunk of a burned-out car in Mexico had a criminal record in Canada, CBC News has learned.

The family of Daniel Dion, who ran a business that manufactured "eco" purses out of recycled materials as part of an inmate rehabilitation program in Mexico, are still awaiting DNA results to confirm the identity of the remains found in the rental car. But they are convinced the remains are Dion's after recognizing a blackened watch found in the car alongside charred human bones.

Dion, 51, of Carleton Place, Ont., was convicted in 1993 on one count of possession of a concealed weapon, one count of marijuana possession and one count of production of marijuana. Between 1982 and 1996, he faced at least 45 charges, including a number of drug- and gun-related counts. He was acquitted on most of the charges, a check of his criminal record has shown.

In 2009, Dion applied for bankruptcy protection in Canada.

Despite his checkered past, family and friends described Dion as a gifted entrepreneur and a warm person.

He was last seen leaving a restaurant in Acapulco at about 2 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 23, accompanied by three men, according to local reports.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...#ixzz146Lmjrnr

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast