Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    Aha! I read "I-15 and Sloan" as an intersection.

I think you're completely right. Ugly area, that...but there's also a lot of obvious activity at that cement plant and the gravel quarries. Unless the car was set back off the road, maybe behind an abandoned truck, it would have been spotted if it had been there long. I think.
    Last edited by laytonian; 11-07-2010 at 09:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by laytonian View Post
    Aha! I read "I-15 and Sloan" as an intersection.

I think you're completely right. Ugly area, that...but there's also a lot of obvious activity at that cement plant and the gravel quarries. Unless the car was set back off the road, maybe behind an abandoned truck, it would have been spotted if it had been there long. I think.
    They have petroglyphs that you can hike to also - not sure how much action they get around there. I'm sure if it's someone from that area, they'll figure it out pretty quick.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

There is no more news on the jawbone found at Lake Mead last week. I wish there was an update.

There is no more news on the jawbone found at Lake Mead last week. I wish there was an update.
    Really.
    But it's going to be a real toughie, because THIS REPORT describes it as " the upper portion of a jawbone" .... which I'd guess means it's "old bones".

It was only 40 feet out in the water, so it could have travelled down through Kingman Wash over a long period of time, or made its way through the Colorado flow of Lake Mead.

Or maybe it's from the old cemetery or historic graves that were covered by the lake?

Really.
    But it's going to be a real toughie, because THIS REPORT describes it as " the upper portion of a jawbone" .... which I'd guess means it's "old bones".

It was only 40 feet out in the water, so it could have travelled down through Kingman Wash over a long period of time, or made its way through the Colorado flow of Lake Mead.

Or maybe it's from the old cemetery or historic graves that were covered by the lake?
    I wasn't expecting an ID or anything, but wondering if any additional remains were found. It could easily be what you say, but that's why it seemed so odd to me that they called the dive team out. It seems a bit extreme under the circumstances.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

I wasn't expecting an ID or anything, but wondering if any additional remains were found. It could easily be what you say, but that's why it seemed so odd to me that they called the dive team out. It seems a bit extreme under the circumstances.
    They probably don't get much practice in the desert; plus, they probably didn't know what they were dealing with.

I hate being left hanging. Like the woman's body found in Cle Elumn WA, or the one in Wyoming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

Really.
    Hey guys, it's been a while since I've written, but I'm always lurking

Anyway, just wanted to say that I read this to mean not "old bones" but that they're talking about maxilla rather than mandible. Either way, it's probably going to be awhile before we have an ID.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helix11 For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    If the bone was found in the water, who else would be able to look for the rest of the remains, if there are any?
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by Helix11 View Post
    Hey guys, it's been a while since I've written, but I'm always lurking

Anyway, just wanted to say that I read this to mean not "old bones" but that they're talking about maxilla rather than mandible. Either way, it's probably going to be awhile before we have an ID.
    Hellooooo!

I worded that strangely, didn't I?

What I should have said: "It sounds like old bones, because the upper jaw (maxilla) wasn't intact."

That's probably not sounding right, either....but maybe better.

This article says they find human remains 2 - 3 times a year in Lake Mead. I have never heard of them sending out the dive team based on the finding of one, relatively small bone. It's particularly odd to me if it's likely this bone wound up there as laytonian suggested.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-inve...106775408.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

This article says they find human remains 2 - 3 times a year in Lake Mead. I have never heard of them sending out the dive team based on the finding of one, relatively small bone. It's particularly odd to me if it's likely this bone wound up there as laytonian suggested.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-inve...106775408.html
    There's an interesting article on Archaeology.org that talks about how previous Lake Mead searches were conducted.

It seems that the National Park Service has a Submerged Resources Center (SRC) that investigates sinkings, drownings and crimes.

I hadn't heard of it either; not, about the B-29 that had crashed into the lake.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

There's an interesting article on Archaeology.org that talks about how previous Lake Mead searches were conducted.

It seems that the National Park Service has a Submerged Resources Center (SRC) that investigates sinkings, drownings and crimes.

I hadn't heard of it either; not, about the B-29 that had crashed into the lake.
    Interesting, but it was the LVMPD dive team that went out on Friday.

I doubt this is Steven and I don't want to dwell on it. I just found it interesting that Metro sent their dive team in.

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N

I doubt this is Steven and I don't want to dwell on it. I just found it interesting that Metro sent their dive team in.
    Hm, that is interesting. Especially since it said the bone was on the Arizona side.

I notice that nothing says whether they found anything later, or whether they found something besides the bone.

Yeah, probably not Steven. The other one, with the burning car, sounds more likely and is much closer to where he was last seen.

Maybe the other team wasn't nearby?

They probably have a jurisdictional agreement; LVMPD's the closest large police department. Kingman, AZ wouldn't have much use for a dive team

22. The Following User Says Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

Maybe the other team wasn't nearby?

They probably have a jurisdictional agreement; LVMPD's the closest large police department. Kingman, AZ wouldn't have much use for a dive team
    It doesn't strike me odd that the Kingman dive team, if there is one, didn't respond. It does strike me odd that the Lake Mead Recreation dive team didn't. Normally something on Federal land is investigated by Federal people. Yeah, they might have a jurisdictional agreement, but...

I dunno. Realistically speaking, it'll probably turn out to be an old burial or something, but it feels a bit hinky.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast