Report: Shots Volleyed Between North and South Korea

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
Just heard this on the news on the radio!

Reports that North Korea fired at South Korea, who returned fire.

Reports are still very early. Need links, ASAP, and I am sure they will come in fast, soon.

Hoping for a peaceful resolution, and keeping the people of Korea in my thoughts today.

I hope this is just a false report, or an error - mistaken shots fired, which were returned in the confusion. Hoping for updates soon.

I had heard it was missiles. but now it is looking like gun fire, which seems a little less disastrous to me, at least.

N. Korea exchanges fire with South at border
Two rounds fired from guardpost spark retaliation, Seoul defense official says

SEOUL, South Korea — North and South Korea exchanged gunfire across their heavily armed border on Friday, the South's military said.

The North Korean frontline guard post fired two shots at around 5:26 p.m. local time toward a South Korean guardpost which returned fire, a joint chiefs of staff official told Reuters.

It was not immediately clear why North Korea fired first, the official said.

More at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39906457/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Reports are saying that peace talks that were scheduled for Friday (Korean time), did not take place.

Hoping for the best possible outcome to this.

FYI, if you Google "Korea" you can get the Google live news and Twitter feed, which brings in links and reactions from all over in real time.

"The firing came hours after the North vowed to retaliate against South Korea for its rejection of a North Korean proposal for military talks."

There's your answer as to why...SK refused to talk, so NK decides, well, let's shoot them! Also, KJ Il has named a successor, who must prove to the military he's up to the task, and so that may factor into this somehow.

NK is as unstable a regime as ever was...this could be bad fast. Or, like has happened before, nothing else happens. Sad, no matter what. I hope everyone is fine at the end of this...

Best-
Herding Cats

2 Koreas exchange fire at DMZ, highlighting security risks ahead of G-20 summit

North Korea shot two rounds at a South Korean guard post in the Demilitarized Zone late Friday afternoon. South Korean troops immediately fired back, an official at the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said. No injuries were reported on the South Korean side.

The exchange lasted just a few minutes but highlighted the security challenges South Korea faces as it prepares to host the Group of 20 summit in Seoul, just 30 miles (50 kilometers) from the border, on Nov. 11-12.

http://www.todayonline.com/Breaking...hlighting-security-risks-ahead-of-G-20-summit

Link

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: Ministers meet in a bunker under the presidential residence
* The South Korean Defense Ministry contradicts the Yonhap casualty account
* The South's president urges calm
* One South Korean soldier is killed, the Yonhap news agency says

Evidently the new leader needs to prove his manhood is bigger. How many times can S. Korea allow itself to be attacked before they should do something more than just let the N. Koreans kill S. Koreans and try to keep peace?

That's a serious question. I'm no fan of war in any way shape or form and it makes me sick to think it would be necessary but S. Korea can't just let itself be attacked without response.

Just another thing in a world that should be so wonderful that isn't.

Presumeably, everyone knows there was never a peace treaty between these nations, only an armistice, which is an agreement to stop fighting.

Years ago the US had this idea that to solve a problem, just divide the land, hence E/W Germany, N/S Vietnam, and N/S Korea. It realy goes back to the Cold War, with the Soviets occupying the North, and the US occupying the South. This hasn't really worked. Makes you wonder what would have happened if the philosophy would have been to somehow keep Korea as one country. Vietnam is communist, but somehow we get along with them.

Then, too, the US was/is very interested in maintaining bases in S Korea. Today we have about 28,000 troops there.

I hate to say this, but I saw a talking head on the news earlier and he said the U.S. should defend them.

Sorry, NO!!!

We have enough problems. I hope they can figure this out without spilling anymore blood.:(

JMHO
fran

My granddaughter spent almost a year at Osan AFB in South Korea. There are most branches of the military there even though it is an Air Force Base. We were just about beside ourselves because she is Security Forces (Military Police). She met her husband over there and he is Army (MP). They also worked with some South Korean soldiers. Thank God they are both in North Carolina now. One is at Fort Bragg, and the other is at Pope AFB.

It is a wild and crazy place over there. I just hope and pray everything settles down over there because I certainly do not want our military involved in the fighting, and certainly do not want my granddaughter and her husband back over at Osan.

North Korea - JUST STOP!!!!!!!!

I hate to say this, but I saw a talking head on the news earlier and he said the U.S. should defend them.

Sorry, NO!!!

We have enough problems. I hope they can figure this out without spilling anymore blood.:(

JMHO
fran

Fran, South Korea is one of our allies and we already have military there. I do not want this to get ugly either!

North Korea and developing missles - frightening.
North Korea's leaders - frightening.

However, if Cuba, for example, decided to conduct military maneuvers with 70,000 men just 6 miles from the US coast, what do you think would happen? This is what S Korea did.

N Korea told them to stop. S Korea did not stop, so N Korea bombed the island.

Was there no other place for S Korea to conduct military maneuvers? And, this something the US should get involved with?

we are already involved in Korea ((our military)). There is still a FRONT LINE in Korea... it is no joke and this is very scary. Plan on trying to get in touch with our fellow friends/service members that are currently stationed there to see what the climate is like. I am sure they are making all sorts of plans, etc right now. It is also a place that is command sponsored which means there are tons of family members of service members over there.... ((two of my own friends are currently there with their husbands))...

this is very scary!

Well, this is an older article. I guess Hillary's "power of persuasion" didn't work. Wonder if she's going to use the "persuasion of power?"

fran

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/12/g20-north-korea-threat

UK fears North Korean attack on Seoul G20 summit

US has already urged China to use influence with the unpredictable dictatorship

Friday 12 November 2010

<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics