1091 users online (151 members and 940 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LA - April Johnson arrested for horrific elder abuse, Houma, 28 Oct 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ms. Johnson's "job" to cash any SS/SSA checks of her victim...too bad whoever alerted LE didn't do it sooner.

Lafourche deputies make arrest in one of its worst cases of elderly neglect

LAFOURCHE, La. – The Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest in what officials are calling “one of the worst cases of elderly neglect ever handled” by the office.

Bayou Blue resident April Johnson, 30, was arrested 11:30 a.m. Thursday and charged with cruelty to the infirmed.

Sheriff Craig Webre said deputies found the victim, a 69-year-old woman, living in a 10 x 16 foot wooden shed attached to a home, located in the 1200 block of St. Marie Drive.

Webre said the room was filthy, smelling of urine and rotting flesh, and the victim was on a vinyl mattress with no sheets with a pool of urine that stretched up to her shoulders. Because of a dry, crusted outline of body fluids along the victim’s body, deputies believe the woman, who was laying in the fetal position, had not been moved “in some time.”

When asked about the state of the victim, Johnson said it was not her job to assist her elderly relative, Webre said, and she at first argued with deputies, refusing to allow deputies get the woman medical treatment. The deputies said because the victim seemed to be in a life-threatening condition, they had to remove her from the shed and into a special facility.

Webre said the woman had suffered a broken hip and femur during the time she had gone untreated, and bone and tendons were exposed because of how advanced the sores were on her body. Johnson also told deputies she did not give the victim any of her medications in weeks.

more here **warning about enlarging the picture of the bed - it looks as described in article**

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Lafourche-...106219123.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

I hope like he!! when she gets to that age and needs help her children or family remember what she said and do the same for her. May she rot in the pits of he!! for what she did to this poor lady.

I am sitting at my desk with a look on my face that could be described as hateful or vengeful I just cant stand it. I have an 87 year old grandmother that comes to mind and I woud be in jail if I found out that anyone had treated her this way. What a disgusting being. (notice I left out human)

The article says other family is willing to take care of her. If they really cared about her why did they not know she was in the condition. I set at the nursing home my grandma around the clock to make sure she was getting the best care possible. I just could not image my grandma being in this condition and me not knowing. I just hope if she goes to live with other family members some one outside the family keeps a check on her.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetheart29 View Post
    The article says other family is willing to take care of her. If they really cared about her why did they not know she was in the condition. I set at the nursing home my grandma around the clock to make sure she was getting the best care possible. I just could not image my grandma being in this condition and me not knowing. I just hope if she goes to live with other family members some one outside the family keeps a check on her.
    BBM - exactly, unless the ????? ????? made up stories about her - like she's sleeping/staying with friends/<insert another lie here>

I did find this -- looks like nobody alerted LE to the victim's condition

<snip>

Deputies became aware of the elderly woman’s condition after responding to an unrelated call for service at Johnson’s home, Hill said.
    Johnson lived at her home with her 5-month-old baby and the elderly woman. The baby was placed into the care of relatives following Johnson’s arrest, Hill said.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...9124?p=1&tc=pg

Thank goodness LE was thorough on their call! I bet Johnson would have just let that poor woman die in that shed and never tell a soul.

How she must have suffered - just awful, bless her heart...I hope whoever is keeping her now really takes care of her...like you, I can't imagine either of my g-moms being treated this way while they were alive.
    Last edited by Salem; 10-31-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: removed name calling
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Thank you for posting this, Texas Mist, awful as it is to read it. Utter cruelty just shatters me but it needs to be in our face everyday. As a person who relies on caregiving help--my husband and daughter--I cannot imagine being abandoned by someone who you believed cared and who you thought you could depend on. My guess is that this horrid woman was pocketing the elder lady's SS check and just going about her life. Wicked, wicked, wicked.

We are judged by how we treat our children, our elderly, our infirm, our developmentally disabled, and our animals.

I know everyone is probably having the same sick feeling I am right now. What can I do? I think the best way to honor this woman's suffering and will to live is to check on an elder or a shut-in today. Just stop by or make a call. See if they have what they need and spend a minute to catch up. If the person has email, spend a minute or so each morning to send a short note and a fun link. I have several people who do this for me and it really brightens my day. The tiniest bit of kindness means so much.

May God gently heal this woman or call her home. He'll know which is best.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I saw this on my local news this afternoon. This is beyond horrible!
    Thanks for posting this TexasMist.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I am stunned she is expected to live. I am thrilled. I dont know what her issue was or why she was in the care of this woman-If I had to hazard a guess, Johnson moved in with her to "care" for her, and then abandoned her???

In any case, I hope she recovers enough to give a full accounting of how her bones were broken-because that is clearly where the mistreatment escalated imo. Johnson could not call 911 when the woman broke her bones and chose to hide her.

That speaks volumes to me.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

April Johnson is outta jail

Questions remain in elderly-abuse case

Published: Saturday, October 30, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, October 29, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.

BAYOU BLUE — A 30-year-old Bayou Blue woman accused of what Lafourche authorities called one of the worst elderly abuse cases they have ever seen is free from the parish’s jail after posting a $10,000 bond Friday.

But questions about why April Johnson would make the alleged 69-year-old victim, who neighbors identified as her mother, live in a cramped wooden shed behind her home that wreaked of urine and rotting flesh remain unanswered.

Attempts to speak with April Johnson at her home on 1207 St. Marie Drive were unsuccessful Friday morning. No one answered her door when a reporter knocked, despite the loud cries of at least two dogs. A Chrysler Town and Country van and a Chevy Tahoe SUV were parked in her driveway.
    The shed where authorities say the elderly woman was left to lay in her urine is long gone. Neighbors said it was removed after authorities first visited the house Sept. 22 for an unrelated matter. At that time, authorities removed Johnson’s mother from the home.

The shed was connected to the back door of Johnson’s gray shotgun house. The woman’s yard had children’s toys in it, a flattened above ground swimming pool and a child safety seat in front of her fence’s front gate. Two dogs wandered around the yard.

Johnson’s neighbors said they had no idea she was keeping her mother in her shed, as authorities allege.

more here

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...1212?p=1&tc=pg
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

This poor lady. I'm just glad she was found and able to get help. Why didnt someone just take her to the hospital? How can you sleep at night knowing that someone is in that condition? More importantly, knowing you have left them in that condition.

They need to start sending these sort of people on a one way journey to a deserted island, and leave them to rot.

This is just disgusting! If you look at the hideous creature, she seems well fed (quite) and taken care of. Wonder who paid for all her food. I am just shocked that anyone could be tortured the way this woman was. I hope miz Johnston goes away for a long long time!

MOO

Mel

It comes as no surprise the poor woman is the mother, and the daughter has been living off of her. The victim gets Social Security and perhaps some other form of retirement income. If she was unable to care for herself and went to a nursing home, her money would've gone with her. Daughter would've lost her cash cow.

My other thought is that the daughter is responsible for her broken bones, and that's why she didn't seek treatment for her mother's injuries. But how in the world do you live day by day knowing that your own mother is existing in those conditions. I broke a wrist earlier this year, and the pain was excruciating the first several days, even in a cast. When the doctor removed the cast four weeks later to change it, it still screamed with pain. It kills me to know that poor woman lay in that with a broken hip and a broken femur for weeks!

Bayou Blue is such a family oriented community, and everyone knows everyone else's business. It's hard to believe that no friends or relatives came to the house asking about the mother when they didn't see her at church or bingo for several weeks, or even speak to her on the phone. But the world has changed, I suppose. People mind their own business more than they did in the past. And, maybe someone did ask, and the daughter said her mother had gone to live with another relative.

I wonder what the unrelated 911 call was about.
    Last edited by bessie; 10-31-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

This makes just want to cry - because who knows how many other elderly people are suffering mistreatment as I write this. I always make an effort to smile at the elderly and help them in the store or wherever I am in public. May God heal her and bless her beyond her needs.

Now - who bonded out the "being"???
    (all posts are my opinion only--do not try to understand my logic)

The pictures were enough for me.

There is NO EXCUSE for what happened to this lady. There is NO EXCUSE for ANYONE letting this happen.

All who knew about it should fry.

JMO
    Last edited by believe09; 11-22-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: removed quoted unapproved post
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...st-month-dies-

BAYOU BLUE — A 69-year-old woman who was hospitalized last month after Lafourche Parish authorities found her living in filthy conditions has died.

Miller was found last month living in a 10-by-16-foot wooden shed littered with human waste. Her daughter, 30-year-old April Johnson, was later booked with cruelty to the infirm.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast