1131 users online (186 members and 945 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Fire chief says Schuylkill County fires are Arson

http://republicanherald.com/news/fir...ille-1.1053661

"The borough has faced six months of anxiety since an arsonist began his or her spree April 24 with the fire that destroyed the former Wynn-Ann restaurant at 100 Sunbury St. and gutted four other buildings.

"It's arson. I'm sick of being quiet about it," Eichenberg said. "We've got a real problem here and we have for the past six months. I won't be quiet anymore. It's arson and it's getting bad."

Since the April blaze, Eichenberg said several fires - mostly small and without injuries - have been intentionally lit in the borough."

My input: I live near this borough of about 2300 people. The people of the borough are afraid to sleep at night, they are on the verge of vigilante justice, which is not a good thing. The perp(s) are getting bolder and bolder. This past weekend they removed siding from 2 houses and lit the fire underneath the siding.

I'm hoping someone here could take a look and see what theories / patterns they can come up with or give insight into the perp(s)

Thanks for listening! I understand there are more important analyses to be done here but was hoping for some insight on this terror in our midst.
    Last edited by Salem; 11-20-2010 at 09:55 PM.

It's good that officials are being open about the fact that the fires are the work of a serial arsonist. The bad news is that some sociopaths begin their criminal careers with arson, progressing to more agressive and violent crimes such as rape, torture and murder. MOO

Hope they catch the arsonist soon! At least the public would be safer while the person serves time for the arsons, but things will only be worse when he/ she gets out of prison.

Hello, fellow sleuthers! I will be updating this thread to give some more info about my county's current crisis. It's very much a concern as there have been 9 arson's in one borough since April and at least 4 in another borough since September. Thursday, November 18 was a busy day for our firefighters, 3 major fires in the span of 6 hours. They also faced the first fatal fire that morning.
    “The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment.” ~Bertrand Russell

ah Scorp, been thinking of you and praying they find this nutbag. Be safe, will check back for updates.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Raging lunatic out there.

Prayers for the safety of everyone in Schuylkill County especially the firefighters.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    Eichenberg's a hero to me - he was obviously under some pressure from somewhere to keep it quiet so as not to panic the public yet he spoke out. Good for him. Now that it's progressed to murder-by-fire, I hope his dep't and LE will get the support and resources they need to investigate properly. I also hope citizens and businesses are on high alert and reporting suspicious behaviour.

Be safe Scorp and keep us updated.

What about the arsons in Orwigsburg? Were they solved? The barn near the intersection of 895 and 61 is being reconstructed, but was that one solved?

Was the Orwigsburg theatre/hotel fire ruled arson?

Quote Originally Posted by luthersmama View Post
    What about the arsons in Orwigsburg? Were they solved? The barn near the intersection of 895 and 61 is being reconstructed, but was that one solved?

Was the Orwigsburg theatre/hotel fire ruled arson?
    The nine barn fires (including that very smelly one at 61 and 895, drove by on my way to work) and one occupied residence were solved. It was 5 firefighters and and another man.

From my current compiling of the fires in the county:

In early Apr 2010, five firefighters and another man were convicted of setting 10 arsons beginning in September 2009. Nine of the fires were barns and one was an occupied home. All the fires were set in West Brunswick Township, Washington Township and East Brunswick Township. The fires caused more than $2 million in damage.

Shawn Hoy, 21, Pine Grove
    John Eichert, 21, Orwigsburg
    Matthew C. Dixon, 18, Friedensburg
    Justin Geiger, 19, Orwigsburg
    Charles Ferguson, 19, Schuylkill Haven
    Devon Smith, 21, Auburn

They admitted to setting the fires out of boredom.

Link to the story of the arrests. http://www.wgal.com/r/23065450/detail

The reason I didn't post my whole thing is I don't have linkies for all of the fires. I'll post anyway and add in links as I can...

ETA: Still looking for O-burg hotel. The latest I found on T-102 news is from November 17, 2006 - The cause of the blaze has not yet been determined, and officials concede that one may never be known due to the massive destruction from the fire and collapse of the building at 126 West Market Street in Orwigsburg.
    Last edited by ScorpRising; 11-24-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Found more info
    “The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment.” ~Bertrand Russell

On Saturday, Apr. 24, 2010, the first in this series of arson's occurred in the borough of Minersville:

April 24, 2010 Saturday 03:00 Minersville Ruled Arson – Wynn-Ann and 3 adjoining bldgs
    LINK 4/24http://republicanherald.com/news/fir...mined-1.744722

April 26, 2010 Monday 04:30 Minersville Ruled Arson – 2 homes and apartment bldg
    LINK 4/26 http://republicanherald.com/news/sec...eless-1.746634

June 22, 2010 Tuesday 02:30 Minersville Ruled Arson – porch fire

June 23, 2010 Wednesday 04:30 Norwegian Twp Ruled Arson – dumpster fire

July 6, 2010 Tuesday 18:10 Norwegian Twp Ruled Arson – Former Coal Breaker

August 9. 2010 Monday 01:40 Minersville Ruled Arson (return to April 24 fire scene)

October 18, 2010 Monday 02:15 Minersville Ruled Arson - carpet

October 24, 2010 Sunday 02:15 Minersville Ruled Arson - house
    October 24, 2010 Sunday 04:30 Minersville Ruled Arson – house
    LINK 10/24 http://republicanherald.com/news/fir...ille-1.1053661

Other arsons in Schuylkill County in 2010:

January 4, 2010 Monday Pottsville Ruled Arson – Former Car Wash

October 2, 2010 Saturday 02:00 Shenandoah Ruled Arson – 5 houses http://republicanherald.com/news/hug...omes-1.1042332

October 7, 2010 Thursday 04:00 New Philly Ruled Arson – multiple houses

October 17, 2010 Sunday 19:00 New Philly Ruled Arson - house

November 17, 2010 Wednesday 23:20 Schuylkill Haven Ruled Accidental - Warehouse
    November 18, 2010 Thursday 02:40 New Ringgold Ruled Accidental – Christian Retreat
    November 18, 2010 Thursday 05:00 New Philly Still Under Investigation
    LINK 11/17-18 http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...,2401890.story
    Last edited by ScorpRising; 11-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Please note the following is pure speculation, MOO...

The MO of the Minersville arsonist(s) is a bit frightening. On a night they decide there's going to be a fire, they make sure there is a fire. They have to be watching from the shadows. If fire one doesn't satisfy, fire two is set and so on. Vigilant homeowners put out fires before they catch and the arsonist(s) are on to another property within a few hours (as evidenced on October 24, 2010).

There hasn't been a fire in town since the start of the crime watch, not that I'm calling the watch, still in its infancy, an overwhelming success. The last fire was a month ago tomorrow.

The reward fund isn't bringing witnesses out of the woodwork, that the public is aware of. The original thought that this was a youngster is fading as any of their friends would want to get their hands on $5k, heck, who wouldn't want $5k?

I'm starting to believe the Minersville fires are connected to another fire spree in the county, and if that's the case, the first fatalities have occurred. May the victims rest in peace. I'm also not convinced the two other fires the night Nov. 17-18 are accidental, as reported, unless they determine New Philly to be accidental too.

The fires fit too well... Hit Haven, down 61 and out 895 to New Ringgold, the over the mountain to New Philly.

Someone, somewhere knows something and any info will help.

Please share any thoughts you can on the topic.
    Last edited by ScorpRising; 11-24-2010 at 10:22 PM.