2010.10.09 - Adam Baker's 911 call

Capri

Reaction score
Transcript of AB's 911 call:
http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=13351620

<<DISPATCHER: OK, so.. No one has seen your daughter since 2:30 this morning...? [It is now after 2 pm that day]

ADAM BAKER: No.. like I said we, uh, had all that drama last night and we... me and my wife went back to bed. And my daughter is I think's coming into puberty.. cause she is hitting that brooding stage (laughter) so we only see her when she comes out when she wants something. And that's about it.

DISPATCHER: And you say she is handicapped..?

ADAM BAKER: Yes ma'am.. she has an above the knee amputation.

DISPATCHER: OK, she has one leg and it is partially amputated?

ADAM BAKER: Yes, she has a prosthetic leg that they apparently have taken with them.

DISPATCHER: So... Prosthetic leg was taken with her?

ADAM BAKER: Yes ma'am..

DISPATCHER: OK. And you don't have any idea at all...

ADAM BAKER: Like I said it was it was all addressed to him and it was all taken out on him and.. I guess.. they thought he lived in this house...>>

elisa-----911 call reporting fire-----

911: What&#8217;s the address of your emergency?

EB: uhh yes ma&#8217;am&#8230;uhhh&#8230;uh&#8230;my husband&#8230;my husband works for uhh&#8230;a tree maintenance company and our backyards on fire.

911: Your what&#8217;s on fire?

EB: The backyard, we got big mulch piles and wood piles because we sell firewood and stuff

911: Okay&#8230;what&#8217;s your address ma&#8217;am?

EB: It&#8217;s 21, 21 avenue NW

911: 21-21st. avenue NW?

EB: yes

911: Okay, is it close to the house?

EB: We&#8217;re right behind, uhhhhh&#8230;

EB: do what?

911: is it close to your house?

EB: uhhhh it&#8217;s not very, it&#8217;s kind of off&#8230;we&#8217;re right by behind where the uh new 137 bistro opened

911: Uh huh

EB: ummmm

911: What&#8217;s your phone number there ma&#8217;am?

EB: It&#8217;s 855, umm 3, let me give you my cell phone because I can&#8217;t remember my home phone

911: ( fills in the rest of her home # for her )

911: Okay, we&#8217;ll get them out there ma&#8217;am.

EB: Okay thank you.

Elisa Baker&#8217;s Full 911 Call/Fire:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/19/1772964/officials-release-1st-911-tape.html

<<DISPATCHER: OK, so.. No one has seen your daughter since 2:30 this morning...? [It is now after 2 pm that day]

ADAM BAKER: No.. like I said we, uh, had all that drama last night and we... me and my wife went back to bed. And my daughter is I think's coming into puberty.. cause she is hitting that brooding stage (laughter) so we only see her when she comes out when she wants something. And that's about it.

ADAM BAKER: Yes, she has a prosthetic leg that they apparently have taken with them.

ADAM BAKER: Like I said it was it was all addressed to him and it was all taken out on him and.. I guess.. they thought he lived in this house...>>

RE: The last line from your quote.

Can anyone tell if his voice pattern changes where AB say's "was all taken out on him" while I don't know what it means but thought I noticed the difference while listening.

..the 911 call------which let's not forget began with the preliminary---
adam: "hey, how ya doin'?" call before he was transferred to the police department.

..once transferred, he goes on and on ----for just shy of 5 MINUTES--at NO time does he get even slightly hysterical----he never mentions her name, gives a description, insist that LE get there a.s.a.p.!!!!

..he instead rambles on about the fire that happened 8 hours earlier----throws out little hints about the bosses daughter ---(trying in some fashion to make their idiotic ransom note make some sense)-----and some nonsense about the kidnappers starting a fire as a distraction, so they could "sneak in" and take zahra ( by mistake.)

..if there was a charge for sheer stupidity------he'd be in jail.

ADAM BAKER: Yes, she has a prosthetic leg that they apparently have taken with them. (Freudian slip?)

ADAM BAKER: Yes, she has a prosthetic leg that they apparently have taken with them. (Freudian slip?)

ADAM BAKER: The police were out here last night. They found a ransom note for my bosses daughter… um… I got up a little while ago… and it appears they took my daughter instead of my bosses daughter.

------THEY also took his daughter...

ADAM BAKER: Ummm. We checked in there last night about 2:30 and she was there... and all this happened last night around 5 ...so I don't know if they set a fire in the yard to distract us to go out and then they snuck in the door... or.. I don't know.

-----THEY also set the fire and THEY then snuck in..

ADAM BAKER: OK. Last night...we woke up.. my dog woke me up and I had a fire in the back yard and somebody had poured gas in my company vehicle I drive to work. They left a ransom note on my company vehicle to my boss saying they had his daughter and his son was next.

-----THEY then left the ransom note..

--------i can only think of two people that add up to THEY at the moment.
one is in jail and the other should be.

cause she is hitting that brooding stage (laughter) so we only see her when she comes out when she wants something.
This behavior of hers is unacceptable to him, I believe. Very unacceptable, and justifies things. More things than him not going to check, IMO. She isn't controllable. She writes letters to friends. :furious:

"Hey. How ya doin'?"

That was enough for me - right there.

NO ONE with an ounce of compassion for ANY living thing would call 911 to report a child missing would begin with that.

"nuff said for me.

JMHO as always

I wonder what was said between the "Hey How ya doin?" and the start of the rest of the call. I think it was released in two pieces for a reason....I think there's some we have not heard.

ADAM BAKER: The police were out here last night. They found a ransom note for my bosses daughter&#8230; um&#8230; I got up a little while ago&#8230; and it appears they took my daughter instead of my bosses daughter.

------THEY also took his daughter...

ADAM BAKER: Ummm. We checked in there last night about 2:30 and she was there... and all this happened last night around 5 ...so I don't know if they set a fire in the yard to distract us to go out and then they snuck in the door... or.. I don't know.

-----THEY also set the fire and THEY then snuck in..

ADAM BAKER: OK. Last night...we woke up.. my dog woke me up and I had a fire in the back yard and somebody had poured gas in my company vehicle I drive to work. They left a ransom note on my company vehicle to my boss saying they had his daughter and his son was next.

-----THEY then left the ransom note..

--------i can only think of two people that add up to THEY at the moment.
one is in jail and the other should be.

"They" being the fake kidnappers, since the fake ransom note does say "we":

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control who is in control now we have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon"

I wonder what was said between the "Hey How ya doin?" and the start of the rest of the call. I think it was released in two pieces for a reason....I think there's some we have not heard.

The first clip was from the first 911 operator he talked to, who then transferred him. They are really two separate conversations. In the first one (after asking "how ya doin"), he asks for police ("I need police"). In the beginning of the longer (2nd) one, you can hear the phone dialing to connect him to the other operator.

"And my daughter is I think's coming into puberty..."

So if he knows what happened, he knows it's bloody. Is this a set-up for an answer for the blood found on her mattress and maybe in the car?

Oh, and Wise Old Owl, I totally agree with you. Not only is "hey how ya doin'" hella odd for someone with a missing daughter, but he conducts the entire conversation like he's sitting in a bar discussing sports or the weather, NOT his missing daughter.

This behavior of hers is unacceptable to him, I believe. Very unacceptable, and justifies things. More things than him not going to check, IMO. She isn't controllable. She writes letters to friends. :furious:

This is pretty telling.. ;;From the link in my above post;;

"Attitude Toward the Victim

Blame or insults toward a dying victim in 911 calls indicate strained relationships. As an example, a father called 911 to report that his 4-year-old daughter was in serious medical distress.

Dispatcher: Do you know what's wrong with your daughter?

Guilty caller: Not a clue.

Dispatcher: Has she taken any medications?

Guilty caller: Maybe. She's very, very sneaky. She threw a huge temper tantrum earlier. She might have taken something.

As his daughter lay dying, the father unexpectedly insulted her with the description "very, very sneaky" and referred to her "huge temper tantrum." He later was convicted of her murder."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/pg_4/?tag=content;col1

<snip>

"The caller demanded an immediate response from medical personnel. This contrasted with callers who patiently and politely used such words as please and thank you or calmly took their time, beginning their call with the casual word hi.

A woman who murdered her spouse called 911 to report that an unknown assailant had shot her and her husband. The opening dialogue in the call is an example of that of a guilty caller.

Dispatcher: 911. What's your emergency?

Guilty caller: Hi, I've been shot, and my husband has been shot.

The wife used the unexpected friendly greeting "Hi" with the dispatcher while her husband, who had been shot in the head, lay dead on the floor. The wife should have remained focused on demanding immediate medical assistance for her spouse. The order of her words also provided insight as she referred to herself first and to her critically wounded husband last. The investigation revealed that the woman intentionally shot and killed her husband and superficially wounded herself."

I posted this in the Haleigh Cummings forum some time ago, but it applies in this case, too. It's quite long, but a very interesting/telling analysis. Definitely worth reading:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/

From that article:

During the dispatchers' questioning, few of the guilty 911 callers actually lied unless forced to. Most of them deceived by omission, rather than commission. In lieu of offering the complete truth, such as I did it, many provided rambling information, instead of concise points; confusing, rather than clear, details; and extraneous information, instead of relevant facts. These details, although, irrelevant to the dispatchers' questions, frequently related to the criminal act. People who provide more information than necessary may be attempting to convince someone of a deceptive story, rather than simply conveying truthful information.

DISPATCHER: 911 what is your emergency?

ADAM BAKER: Ah.. yeah my daughter is missing.

Note the pause. He's thinking about how to begin, imo.

DISPATCHER: What is your address?

ADAM BAKER: 21 21st Ave. Northwest.

ADAM BAKER: The police were out here last night. They found a ransom note for my bosses daughter&#8230; um&#8230; I got up a little while ago&#8230; and it appears they took my daughter instead of my bosses daughter.

Note how he immediately jumps to the fire story. In fact, taken in context of the entire 911 call, this is one of the very first things AB says. Note too all of the pauses. He's double checking himself before he speaks, imo. In between these pauses, he remembers to add in that he "just got up alittle while ago". According to him, later in an interview, he had gotten up some time ago, went to check on a possible job, came home and was doing yard work when AB runs out to tell him Z is missing. This "just got up alittle while ago" isn't part of the "Zahra is missing" story, it's part of the "fire story". He's tripped himself up.

States that both parents checked in on her, and states that Zahra was there, as if he had in fact seen this for himself. He later tells media that HE didn't actually check on her at 2:30, his wife did. If that's the case, why did he state with so much certainty that they BOTH checked on her, and she was there? (Another trip up.)

DISPATCHER: How old is your daughter?

ADAM BAKER: She is 10. She's handicapped.. she has a prosthetic leg&#8230; so that&#8230;

So that, what? Where was he going to go with this statement before 911 operator interupted him? Also, again...note all the pauses.

WE woke up (pause)... MY dog woke ME up and I had a fire (pause). He's nervous here, imo. Not sure how much he should say regarding "we", so he switches to "me" "my" and "I". It's no longer "our dog woke us up", or "we had a fire", it's now "my dog woke me up and I had a fire".
Note also how much he belabors the point about the "company vehicle" that "he drives to work", and that this "comapny vehicle" belongs to his boss. He's making sure to re-direct the listeners attention to the company, the company vehicle, and the boss. He wants to make sure he's established that thought firmly in her mind, imo.

DISPATCHER: OK, Do you know who this was?

ADAM BAKER: I don't know who... No... no ma'am..

DISPATCHER: Do you know any idea why they were threatening to take his daughter?

ADAM BAKER: I don't know.

Note the pauses and short answers. This part doesn't require elaboration on his part, so he doesn't offer any. It's just part of the story.

DISPATCHER: OK, so.. No one has seen your daughter since 2:30 this morning...? [It is now after 2 pm that day]

Notice what the operator asks, and then look at his response. He doesn't just succinctly say "no", he offers excuses and completely irrelevent information. He adds the "broody puberty part" and then giggles. I believe that is nervous laughter. He's thrown in something he felt needed to be established, is suddenly hearing how absurb it sounds and is now trying to make light of it, imo. I think he fears this statement might be viewed as suspicious.

Recall that early on in this call, he was clearly establishing that Zahra had a prosthetic leg. He's returning to that now, and adding info that he is convinced "they" must also have taken Z's leg. How does he KNOW this? If you look at the time he later (in interview) says he returned home from work, and the time the actual missing call was logged in, there is no possible way he could have searched the house, yard, etc. thoroughly, imo. He knows the leg isn't there, so HOW does he know that? IMO, it's because he does, in fact, know where the leg is, and he knows LE isn't going to find it in the house or on the property. JMO

ADAM BAKER: Like I said it was it was all addressed to him and it was all taken out on him and.. I guess.. they thought he lived in this house...

Again, we see the pauses and the re-direction of attention to all things boss. Only this time, he makes sure to add the info that, not only is the "company vehicle" attached to the boss, but so is the house.

ALL JUST MOO, Speculation, and all that jazz.

If you look at EB's 911 fire call, and then look at AB's 911 missing child call, the differences are stark. Her answers are short and sweet and without any elaboration, save her feeling the need to throw in that her husband works for a tree removal company. So, with her, only THAT point needed to be firmly established, imo. He, on the other hand, seems to need to establish much more in the mind of the 911 operator.

I have definite thoughts on why this might be the case, but I'll leave it at that. Feel free to ponder this thought for yourselves, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back