994 users online (171 members and 823 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    SubtleGrace is offline Zaylee Rose born 1/2/11. In loving memory of Zahra and Caylee. Love you angels.

Ransom Note and Calls to the Boss

I would like to discuss the ransom note and subsequent calls to AB's boss. Specifically, what was the plan? I can't figure it out and need a little help. I know it had something to do with covering up Zahra's apparent (not confirmed) demise, a ransom note makes sense, but not the calls to the boss. They wrote the ransom note then set the yard on fire, then called the boss. He must have freaked, call 911 you idiots! After all it was his property burning. He then shows up with his daughter, and voila, ransom note. If AB and EB never told the neighbors about Zahra, do you think they told the boss? Why didn't he ask where she was at the fire?

Fast forward to several hours later. They discover Zahra missing. Who do they call? That's right, the boss.

I'm not getting this.

Thoughts? Theories? I may have missed this discussion in the general threads.

Firefighters notified police, who approached the SUV and smelled the odor of gasoline coming from inside. The note written on the envelope was addressed to a "Mr. Coffey," identified in the search warrant as Adam Baker's boss, Mark David Coffey.

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control," the note said, according to the search warrant. "We have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon." In the bottom right, the note said, "no cops," according to the warrant.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10...ion=cnn_latest
    my opinion...........and i happen to agree with it.....

EB says He ( AB) " pushed her " regarding the ransom note in the last paragraph of the first letter...
    Either she is saying she was rushed into writing it before the police came but more likely that she didnt want to it but caved under pressure from Adam....

Thinking the ramson note was mean for police to ask and discover that Zahra had dissappeared at that time (all to AB & EB shock and surprise).... but when no one asked about Zahra that night then they had to come up with another plan B...which was AB calling 911 the following afternoon stating the mix up with bosses identify and therefore his daughter was taken in error....

The ramson note sounded more like information Adam would know about unless EB knew Adam's boss also and that he had a daughter...

Just a theory....

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleGrace View Post
    I would like to discuss the ransom note and subsequent calls to AB's boss. Specifically, what was the plan? I can't figure it out and need a little help. I know it had something to do with covering up Zahra's apparent (not confirmed) demise, a ransom note makes sense, but not the calls to the boss. They wrote the ransom note then set the yard on fire, then called the boss. He must have freaked, call 911 you idiots! After all it was his property burning. He then shows up with his daughter, and voila, ransom note. If AB and EB never told the neighbors about Zahra, do you think they told the boss? Why didn't he ask where she was at the fire?

Fast forward to several hours later. They discover Zahra missing. Who do they call? That's right, the boss.

I'm not getting this.

Thoughts? Theories? I may have missed this discussion in the general threads.
    Calls to boss was to "try" their story on someone and secondly maybe Mr. Coffey's involvement was meant to be a mediator to the police....AB thinking his boss would call 911 instead but he didnt take the hint...

Why didnt EB or AB want to make a call to LE...
    1. worried about possible warrants and arrests
    2. They were quilty to disposing of Zahra
    3. calls were being recorded...how could they convince LE with their made up story when they didnt have conviction enough to make it sound like they were depersate their daughter was missing....

"Hey, how you doing? " sounds like AB was calling to ask someone for a date not report a missing child....

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriej View Post
    Firefighters notified police, who approached the SUV and smelled the odor of gasoline coming from inside. The note written on the envelope was addressed to a "Mr. Coffey," identified in the search warrant as Adam Baker's boss, Mark David Coffey.

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control," the note said, according to the search warrant. "We have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon." In the bottom right, the note said, "no cops," according to the warrant.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10...ion=cnn_latest
    Could it have all gone pear shaped once LE got involved?
    The ransom note though would seem a little ironic.

I have been wondering why would she write it.

Trying to look at every angle is too bizarre for me.

Quote Originally Posted by captdj View Post
    Calls to boss was to "try" their story on someone and secondly maybe Mr. Coffey's involvement was meant to be a mediator to the police....AB thinking his boss would call 911 instead but he didnt take the hint...

Why didnt EB or AB want to make a call to LE...
    1. worried about possible warrants and arrests
    2. They were quilty to disposing of Zahra
    3. calls were being recorded...how could they convince LE with their made up story when they didnt have conviction enough to make it sound like they were depersate their daughter was missing....

"Hey, how you doing? " sounds like AB was calling to ask someone for a date not report a missing child....

JMO.
    Are there any reports about the job AB had to check on? On the Saturday.

I have often wondered about this myself....what the ???? was the boss to do with this....

But I think what 2 of you above have written makes perfect sense and I have had an aha moment.....

I think the plan was this: call the boss to say his yard was on fire......
    he calls 911 and the police or firemen discover the ransom note
    or ask if anyone else was in the house and they go look for zahra
    who is missing and go "oh no our baby is missing!!"
    and then the motive becomes that the kidnappers have taken the
    wrong girl.

something like this anyhow.......but something went wrong...... I can not understand why they did not say that there was a little girl in the house when the fire brigade came, cos they could have put on the fake "oh no our baby is missing"...
    REVAMPZ

SubtleGrace is offline Zaylee Rose born 1/2/11. In loving memory of Zahra and Caylee. Love you angels.

I would still like to know if....

1) AB told boss that he had a daughter. Do we know if AB worked for boss before they moved to Hickory and into his rental house?

2) What the boss said to AB when he called both times.

3) If the firefighters were aware of a child at the house.

I have a problem with no one checking on Zahra during the fire. If the firemen were aware (after the ransom note was found) that AB had a daughter, I can't imagine that they wouldn't either check on her themselves or ask the Bakers if they had checked on her and been told yes.

I wonder if perhaps, besides thinking that boss would call 911 for them, if they thought that boss would give them ransom money for Zahra and they could then just take off? MOO

Trying to think outside the boss, er box.

I believe boss spoke to media yesterday regarding the eviction of AB. Has he made any other statements that we are aware of?

TIA

Duh

Thinking back, I guess AB would have had to have mentioned Zahra to the boss, otherwise, why would he call him first before reporting Zahra missing?

Curious and curiouser.

Answering my own questions guys.

i dont get why it was not just one action ( fire, ransom, missing zahra) vs 2 seperate actions ( fire ransom) and ( missing Zahra) ..

To me it drew more attention to have called the police 2 times in the matter of hours. Where doing everything at once and involving the police once. ( that make sense?)

Because of this it makes me scratch my head about AB being clueless in the dissappearence of Zahra. If they were plotting how to not get caught for zahra then i would think that they would think this also and come up with a plan that didnt draw more attention to them.

Sometimes when you are dealing with cases like this, a current discussion will lead your mind back to previous discussions. That happened to me this morning while talking about the video of Elisa being arrested. In that video, she points angrily at someone and says something. I can't tell what she says exactly, but it gave me the impression that she was pointing at AB and saying something to the effect of, "I'm NOT going down for this!" That immediately called to mind her 911 fire call. It was everything I would have expected from someone who had just discovered a fire in their backyard. Urgent, direct, no rambling, just basically, "Send the fire department!"

Then I thought back to AB's 911 missing child call. In that call he says (regarding the fire earlier), "We woke up...my dog woke me up." Why the switch from "we" to "me"? Is he saying that both he and EB woke up? Is he saying that the dog woke HIM up and he then woke HER up? It's curious, and it's always bugged the hell out of me.

That thought lead me straight back to the ransom note itself. We know that Elisa wrote the ransom note, she's admitted that. But do we know WHEN she wrote it? Is it possible she wrote this note prior to the fire, as part of a kidnapping plan they had decided NOT to go through with? And is it possible that AB is the one who panicked, grabbed the note, stuck it to the car, and set the fire without EB being aware he was going to go ahead with the aborted plan? And if that were the case, would THAT explain why we later see EB being arrested, pointing her finger and saying something to the effect of, "I'm not going down for this!"?

If you were going to write a ransom note to explain why your daughter is missing, wouldn't you mention your daughter in it? This note doesn't. If you were going to make up some story about your bosses daughter being missing, and use that as a way to "suddenly notice" your own child missing, then wouldn't you point out to cops and firefighters that your kid isn't in her bed? AB and EB didn't. AB called to do that 10 hours later.

All of these random thoughts made me realize that I have ALOT more questions about this ransom note business than I did in the begining, when we thought Zahra might still be alive. Maybe other WSer's do too?
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

Mountain Kat - I agree the ransom note issue raises far more questions than it answers. I find my brain running in lots of circles so I drew it out on paper and used circles around each name - somewhere they overlap and there lies the truth. There is definitely info and perhaps names missing however. I am very curious why the boss was even called to the fire at 0530, and just as curious as to why AB called him about Zahra being missing before he calls 911. It almost reeks of making the boss a witness to something...

Just my quess - the ransom note was written around 0230 on 10/9/2010.
    Racing Doesn't Lie

Quote Originally Posted by raisincharlie View Post
    Mountain Kat - I agree the ransom note issue raises far more questions than it answers. I find my brain running in lots of circles so I drew it out on paper and used circles around each name - somewhere they overlap and there lies the truth. There is definitely info and perhaps names missing however. I am very curious why the boss was even called to the fire at 0530, and just as curious as to why AB called him about Zahra being missing before he calls 911. It almost reeks of making the boss a witness to something...

Just my quess - the ransom note was written around 0230 on 10/9/2010.
    I'm starting to wonder if it might have been written PRIOR to 2:30 am on 10/9/10 .

We know that an employee of a business behind the house saw someone sitting on the back porch that morning playing with a lighter. He says it was dark and he couldn't see who. We also have AB, in the 911 call , first saying, "We woke up." and then changing it to, "My dog woke ME up." So...was EB sleeping? Was he, in fact, the first person up that morning?
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    Sometimes when you are dealing with cases like this, a current discussion will lead your mind back to previous discussions. That happened to me this morning while talking about the video of Elisa being arrested. In that video, she points angrily at someone and says something. I can't tell what she says exactly, but it gave me the impression that she was pointing at AB and saying something to the effect of, "I'm NOT going down for this!" That immediately called to mind her 911 fire call. It was everything I would have expected from someone who had just discovered a fire in their backyard. Urgent, direct, no rambling, just basically, "Send the fire department!"

Then I thought back to AB's 911 missing child call. In that call he says (regarding the fire earlier), "We woke up...my dog woke me up." Why the switch from "we" to "me"? Is he saying that both he and EB woke up? Is he saying that the dog woke HIM up and he then woke HER up? It's curious, and it's always bugged the hell out of me.

That thought lead me straight back to the ransom note itself. We know that Elisa wrote the ransom note, she's admitted that. But do we know WHEN she wrote it? Is it possible she wrote this note prior to the fire, as part of a kidnapping plan they had decided NOT to go through with? And is it possible that AB is the one who panicked, grabbed the note, stuck it to the car, and set the fire without EB being aware he was going to go ahead with the aborted plan? And if that were the case, would THAT explain why we later see EB being arrested, pointing her finger and saying something to the effect of, "I'm not going down for this!"?

If you were going to write a ransom note to explain why your daughter is missing, wouldn't you mention your daughter in it? This note doesn't. If you were going to make up some story about your bosses daughter being missing, and use that as a way to "suddenly notice" your own child missing, then wouldn't you point out to cops and firefighters that your kid isn't in her bed? AB and EB didn't. AB called to do that 10 hours later.
    ITA and I find it extremely ODD that LE did NOT seem to even ASK.. if there was anyone (let alone a daughter!) inside the house at the time of the fire?

All of these random thoughts made me realize that I have ALOT more questions about this ransom note business than I did in the begining, when we thought Zahra might still be alive. Maybe other WSer's do too?
    My biggest question about the ransom note is that AB didn't recognize his own "wife's" handwriting? I'm sure LE would have ask him if he recognized it, and if he said NO.. THAT wold be a big lie, right there.

All just moo

Life is an Echo. Everything comes back; the good, the evil, the truth, the false. Karma escapes no one.

RIP Zahra Baker, Caylee Anthony, Hannah Graham
    Where are You? Elizabeth Thomas, Bob Harrod, Kyron Horman, Stacy Peterson, Susan Powell, Deorr Kunz
    Justice for Abigail Williams and Liberty German

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if it might have been written PRIOR to 2:30 am on 10/9/10 .

We know that an employee of a business behind the house saw someone sitting on the back porch that morning playing with a lighter. He says it was dark and he couldn't see who. We also have AB, in the 911 call , first saying, "We woke up." and then changing it to, "My dog woke ME up." So...was EB sleeping? Was he, in fact, the first person up that morning?
    I suspect anything is possible with this cast. Just something about a specific time for the last time Zahra was seen niggles me. I think there is some significance to the time, don't know why.
    Racing Doesn't Lie

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast