The Baker's Many Housing Moves

Capri

Reaction score
Congress St. apts. July-Nov 1009 (pics of attic space at link)

When the Baker family first moved into the apartments on Congress Street in July 2009,The Bakers lived in the apartment on Congress Street until early November 2009, when Shirley asked them to move out because of their fighting.
“In one-and-a-half days, they were gone,” Shirley said. “I got the impression they didn’t want the police here.”
When Shirley and Darrell went into the Bakers’ apartment after they left, they were surprised by what they found. One of the doors to a closet had been removed. That closet provides access to the attic — an attic where you can’t store anything, it just contains blown insulation for the two-story apartments.
When the Mims were watching the news this week, they recognized their former tenants. They were also surprised to learn they had a daughter.
They’re now wondering if maybe Zahra was in the attic
“We don’t know for sure, but we think they kept her in the attic,” Darrell said. “There were black shoe sole prints all around the inside (of the door frame). The door to the cubby hole was taken off.”

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...onder-if-zahra-kept-attic-ar-458767/#comments

Father of EB says they lived with him after moving here from AU.
Dec 2008 til March 2009........they left after a big fight?[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5765526&postcount=2"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Father of Elisa Baker (MFairchild) comments on Elisa[/ame]

When the Mims were watching the news this week, they recognized their former tenants. They were also surprised to learn they had a daughter.
“We don’t know for sure, but we think they kept her in the attic,” Darrell said. “There were black shoe sole prints all around the inside (of the door frame). The door to the cubby hole was taken off.”

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...onder-if-zahra-kept-attic-ar-458767/#comments

I would think that there would be more evidence of someone being in there for any length of time besides sole prints..

I would think that there would be more evidence of someone being in there for any length of time besides sole prints..

We are hearing also of the possibility of a small person, child-size who may have been sleeping on a piece of drywall pulled down to the floor. Will try to find the link.

In the article noted post #1 above:

When Darrell went up to the attic to look, he saw a section of the firewall that divides the two apartments was pulled down and was on top some of the boards and insulation. It was cracked in a few places.
“It looked as though a child had gone to sleep on it,” Darrell said.

I didn't originally catch these quotes from their most recent landlord (which must mean Coffey):

"I'm putting him out on the street," Adam Baker's landlord told the crowd Tuesday. "I have no need to have any of his effects in the house and I'm not cleaning it out."...
Baker's landlord, who is not identified in local media reports, gave no reason for the sudden eviction. However, he did say that recent searches of the home -- during which police removed flooring, plumbing and sections of the ceiling -- left the home uninhabitable, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/zahras-dad-taunted-by-angry-crowd-as-hes-evicted/19701166

Coffey had previously been quoted as saying he feared for his life, due to the fake ransom note:

Police said that the note was a fake created by Elisa Baker. “They feel like the ransom note was just a distraction,” Coffey said. Coffey told Channel 9 he fears for his family safety. “I feel like anyone would. I don’t like it,” Coffey said. Coffey told Channel 9 that he believes someone may now think he has $1 million and could try to kidnap a member of his family. “My family has had to leave their home for safety reasons because now we don’t know who is going to come out of the woodworks,” he said. Coffey owns the house where Zahra lived and was last seen alive. Her family was renting it from him.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25368912/detail.html

VIDEO: http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25370521/index.html

Although I can understand being creeped out and scared at having one's name involved in anything like this, it seemed a little odd to me that he thought someone would now try to kidnap someone in his family, because of getting the idea from the fake note.

JMO

Do we have a list of all of their address and dates of residence since coming to the U.S.? I'd like to map them all to see if that would help in suggesting some search locations.

Congress St. apts. July-Nov 1009 (pics of attic space at link)

When the Baker family first moved into the apartments on Congress Street in July 2009,The Bakers lived in the apartment on Congress Street until early November 2009, when Shirley asked them to move out because of their fighting.
“In one-and-a-half days, they were gone,” Shirley said. “I got the impression they didn’t want the police here.”
When Shirley and Darrell went into the Bakers’ apartment after they left, they were surprised by what they found. One of the doors to a closet had been removed. That closet provides access to the attic — an attic where you can’t store anything, it just contains blown insulation for the two-story apartments.

First time I've seen this! Thank you!

All speculation on my part, but I think it way more likely that this is where AB/EB stashed large quanties of drugs. If they are not actually on YOUR property, you can't be charged with it. Hence the reason the drywall was taken down. JMO.

What I find really odd though is that the Baker's would remove a closet door and take that off the premises of a rental property. Maybe the door was destroyed somehow, and they intended to replace it with a new door, but never got around to it? Can't help but think of that re-patched punch hole at the 21st residence. :waitasec:

Ok, here's what happened when I went over there.

My daughter talked to the landlord of EB & AB 2 weeks ago regarding renting a mobile home from him. When she saw the picture of house where Zahra's lived on a news station she realized it was near the home she inquired about. So today we rode back over there to look at it closer.

We looked at the empty home and took pics of it first. At this house you will see a 2nd manhole cover, woods, ravine and a row of mailboxes. And Z's house at the top of a hill. The hill she was forced to walk? Not sure because there are two steep hills in this area.

DSC_0160-1.jpg

This is what the manhole covers look like.
DSC_0150.jpg

In this photo you see Z's house, the hill and the 1st manhole cover. It is almost directly in front of the house.

DSC_0161-1.jpg

In this photo you can see the 2nd manhole cover in relationship to the mailboxes. Z's house is at the top of the photo to the left (unseen). But if you look across the road from the mailboxes you will see another ravine / wooded area.

DSC_0155-1.jpg

This is the second steep hill and it would actually be harder to climb than the one in front of Z's house. At the top of this hill is where Z would have been picked up & let off by the school bus.

DSC_0159.jpg

The last picture shows the empty house we were looking at. It is located at the bottom of the hill from Z's house. To the left of this house is (of course) another home. And this is a metal, round object in the ground. Since it was in someone else's yard I didn't get a close look at it. But I expect it is the "well" that everyone is thinking they see on the maps. However I don't believe it is a well because this mobile home park has township water. I know that for a fact because I used to work at the township in the water department. And they would not have an abandoned well in this area (I'm fairly certain of that). If it were an older house then maybe but the subdivision rules are pretty strict on the water being supplied by the township when the homes were put in.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

I've also attached a link to Google Maps where I have marked some of these particular items so you can see them in relationship of the area in full.

Now about what happened while I was there. We were walking and driving around taking pictures so of course we attracted attention. And we did have a reasonably honest excuse.

It wasn't long before children came by to talk to us. We told them why we were there but didn't mention Zahra. Those kids have been questioned enough and we really didn't have a right to talk to them.

We did however ride up by Zahra's house and a couple stepped out on the porch. I decided to stop and talk with them. I asked them if they lived there and if there were any empty homes available. They told us of three. They asked if we were reporters and I assured them we were not. They talked about the park in reference to bringing children there to live and they said it was a nice quiet place. The kids were well behaved. We did not ask them about Zahra. The neighbors were outside, they were protective over their privacy and I expect that even before the media hit full force they were constantly looking out for each other's backs.

Let me know if I can help out any more.

Google Map

That unidentified object looks like a tire maybe?

Respectfully brought over from #20 pg22 post#545

10-22-2010, 08:00 PM
elepher50
Help find Adji Join Date: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Foxglove
WOW!!! Shouldn't this be forwarded to the Hickory Police???

Here is the photo-stream from KCS:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

ETA: kcsmom76 is WSMember

Respectfully brought over from #20 pg22 post#545

10-22-2010, 08:00 PM
elepher50
Help find Adji Join Date: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Foxglove
WOW!!! Shouldn't this be forwarded to the Hickory Police???

Here is the photo-stream from KCS:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

ETA: kcsmom76 is WSMember

brought over by me #21 pg 1, post #9

10-22-2010, 08:14 PM
passionflower
Just 1 tip to find a killer Join Date: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdance
I also recall that kcsmom76 posted afterwards that the pics were taken behind the wrong address trailer...but they could have thrown it anyplace to discard it, so it could be the one.

I hope some neighbor saw it and called LE.

Got taken to the login of photobucket? What are we looking at?

I was able to access the pictures going to the actual post that I referenced above and hitting the link. These are pics taken by kcsmom76

of the area surrounding a trailer that the Bakers used to live. It was reported that this is one block away from their previous address, but I believe it is the same trailer park that Free2ride posted her pics from yesterday.

NOTE: the pics of the surrounding area of the mhp is not necessarily Zahra's last home but it helps to find the lay of the land. Also further note, the pics are after the dock/water pictures.

I'm not following. What SHOULD we be looking at? Link doesn't work. Where was the original post brought over from?

brought over by me #21 pg 1, post #9

10-22-2010, 08:14 PM
passionflower
Just 1 tip to find a killer Join Date: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdance
I also recall that kcsmom76 posted afterwards that the pics were taken behind the wrong address trailer...but they could have thrown it anyplace to discard it, so it could be the one.

I hope some neighbor saw it and called LE.

Yes I logged in on photobucket but still just get taken to the homepage...can you check the link??

And this is near the MH on Phillips Lane? I don't recall seeing a body of water there. Off to check.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back