10 year old mom-Spain

Quoted from the article: "The girl's mother told reporters earlier this week that she's delighted to have a new granddaughter and doesn't understand the fuss the birth has caused.

Guess I just don't understand a culture that believes this is acceptable in this day and age. :waitasec:

OMG

"
Earlier this year, a 9-year-old schoolgirl in northeast China gave birth to a [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]healthy [COLOR=#366388 !important]baby [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]boy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. In 2008, another 10-year-old girl in Idaho, who got pregnant at age 9, carried a baby to term. And back in 1939, as TIME reported, Lina Medina of Peru, became pregnant at the age of 5 years, 8 months, and became a mother by age 6 years, 5 months."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/201011...rstoryoungestchildmomxidrssfullhealthsciyahoo

who are the fathers of these babies?????????

OMG

"
Earlier this year, a 9-year-old schoolgirl in northeast China gave birth to a [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]healthy [COLOR=#366388 !important]baby [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]boy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. In 2008, another 10-year-old girl in Idaho, who got pregnant at age 9, carried a baby to term. And back in 1939, as TIME reported, Lina Medina of Peru, became pregnant at the age of 5 years, 8 months, and became a mother by age 6 years, 5 months."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/201011...rstoryoungestchildmomxidrssfullhealthsciyahoo

who are the fathers of these babies?????????

I don't know about the other cases, but the one in Spain is also "underage." Who knows if he's 11 or 16. Big difference IMHO.

From the same link:

In the case of the young Romanian mother, both mom and baby are reported to be healthy and safe. However, the Associated Press reports that Spanish authorities are uncertain about how to handle custody of the baby. It is not immediately clear whether either new parent (the father is also reported to be underage) - or their parents - will get custody.

I just cannot imagine having a baby that young!! I was 25 and didn't feel old enough!

I'll try to find a link, but the story I read on this yesterday said the father was 13. And of course, he and the 10 year old mother had separated.

I don't know about the other cases, but the one in Spain is also "underage." Who knows if he's 11 or 16. Big difference IMHO.

From the same link:

In the case of the young Romanian mother, both mom and baby are reported to be healthy and safe. However, the Associated Press reports that Spanish authorities are uncertain about how to handle custody of the baby. It is not immediately clear whether either new parent (the father is also reported to be underage) - or their parents - will get custody.

According to a Belgian newspaper the father has just turned 13 and the people are Romanians. The grandmother told Spanish journalists that this is normal in their culture, which leads me to believe they are Roma where people marry very young.

:crazy:Shocked all...!!

What a crazy culture. This is way tooooo young to be having children. I guess this is ok in his culture at age 13 and hers at 10. How can one raise a baby when they are babies???

Just an OMG.

Goz

I don't know how I feel about this story. It sounds like an arranged marriage. In her society, they get married at that young age. Looking at the case as an outsider, I disagree, but I don't know how the girl felt about being married young. I assume she would have objected if she could, but I don't know.

According to a Belgian newspaper the father has just turned 13 and the people are Romanians. The grandmother told Spanish journalists that this is normal in their culture, which leads me to believe they are Roma where people marry very young.

roma or romanian? very different cultures! regardless, what a sad story. i'll be praying for the girl and her baby.

roma or romanian? very different cultures! regardless, what a sad story. i'll be praying for the girl and her baby.

I know they are different cultures, but newspapers tend to interchange them. The Romanians I know do not marry their children off at a very young age, but in the Roma culture they do. But even here I never heard of a 10 year old being married.
It's an incredibly sad story. I know times change, but aged 10 I was still playing with my dolls.

I don't know how I feel about this story. It sounds like an arranged marriage. In her society, they get married at that young age. Looking at the case as an outsider, I disagree, but I don't know how the girl felt about being married young. I assume she would have objected if she could, but I don't know.

ITA, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Wow, as the mother of a 10 year old, I can't imagine her with a child of her own. She can't even feed the dog on a daily basis.

Wow, as the mother of a 10 year old, I can't imagine her with a child of her own. She can't even feed the dog on a daily basis.

Right there with ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the original article they are Romanian Gypsies, or Roma, and it is their custom to marry very young although the marriages are not recognized by the state unless the girl is at least 16 and has parental consent. The mother only states that the father is a 13 year old boy who is still in Romania but makes no mention of them having been married or if there were any attempts to arrange a marriage between them.

IMO While it may be a part of their culture to marry very young, that still does not mean that 10 and 13 year old children are prepared and equipped to raise a child. How would they provide for the child financially, or for themselves for that matter? And I won't even get started on the emotional toll it would take on all involved. It may be OK in their culture but I still have a hard time accepting that in this day and age they still follow those customs. JMO

I can't even begin to imagine the toll it would take on such a young underdeveloped body of a 10 year old.

I think I was still playing with my Lite Brite.

How the world has changed...and not for the better, IMO.

Quoted from the article: "The girl's mother told reporters earlier this week that she's delighted to have a new granddaughter and doesn't understand the fuss the birth has caused.Guess I just don't understand a culture that believes this is acceptable in this day and age. :waitasec:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

All cultures have become more civilized unless they are living in some tribal community in the woods somewhere.
Even the Bedouins who were living in the sand with camels are going to school now, becoming doctors, lawyers....
WTF is it with parents who seem to live in a cave.?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back