GUILTY FL - Ronald Williams for starving 34 greyhounds to death, Ebro, 2010

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
http://www.newsherald.com/articles/ebro-88254-officials-photos.html

The body count is up to 37 dead greyhounds found at a Florida track.

Officials mum on Ebro investigation

EBRO — The Washington County Sheriff’s Office did not release any new information Monday about 33 dead greyhounds found at the dog track three days earlier.

Sheriff Bobby Haddock did not return numerous calls for comment and Sheriff’s Office personnel said an incident report had not yet been completed.

The park’s assistant general manager, Mark Hess, also did not return calls Monday, but said on Saturday that he is cooperating with an investigation into the dogs’ deaths.

Deputies arrested the man responsible for the dogs, 36-year-old trainer Ronnie Williams of Ponce de Leon, on Friday night after Pari-Mutuel Wagering Department officials discovered the carcasses, along with four live but emaciated dogs.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/dogs-88361-ebro-trainer.html

Trainer claimed dogs were OK two days before deaths

EBRO — When officers arrived at a kennel at Ebro Greyhound Park last week, the stench was overwhelming.

Washington County Sheriff’s deputy Steve Russ attempted to examine the scene but could not, he wrote in an arrest report.

“The odor was so strong that it was impossible to go any further inside the kennel,” he wrote.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WTH is wrong with people? Someone better do some real jail time

The whole subject of dog racing infuriates me! The way the dogs are treated is sicking just so people can make a profit. I really wish more states would step up to outlaw it.

The whole subject of dog racing infuriates me! The way the dogs are treated is sicking just so people can make a profit. I really wish more states would step up to outlaw it.

Right on. I would like to see dog racing go away completely. I leads to dogs being treated as disposable, and all too often exploited.

I hope he will do some hard time for this crime. This is horrid. I really
get so upset when I read these stories. Animal abuse is so out of control and we need to have stricker penalities so there will be less crimes against God's little angels.

So very sad.

Quote:

Snip
Three of the four “near death” greyhounds had duct tape around their necks, which had to be cut away to allow them to breathe, the release said. All four dogs were treated by veterinarians on site; it is not clear whether they survived the weekend or what their current conditions might be.

Williams raised suspicion with a local adoption agency, Greyhound Pets of America’s Emerald Coast chapter, when he delivered eight underweight dogs to the group early last week. Members notified the national chapter, the National Greyhound Association and the state’s Pari-Mutuel Wagering Department, GPAEC board member Roger Spencer said.
Snip

Just horrible...I hope they put him away for life.:furious:

Goz

We had a dog track here years ago. The way they treated the dogs was awful and everyone knew it. Business pushes back when money is to be made and some will say no laws were violated all the way to jail. It's very hard to shut down such an operation, even when the violations are egregious.

We had a dog track here years ago. The way they treated the dogs was awful and everyone knew it. Business pushes back when money is to be made and some will say no laws were violated all the way to jail. It's very hard to shut down such an operation, even when the violations are egregious.

Hi Grayjay- which state was the track in? I know they still have them in FL,
( I think) and WI. Sad state of affairs, wouldn't you say? Money rules..

Goz

I have a retired greyhound and let me tell you he is the BEST dog EVER. He is so loving and gentle and all he wants to do is be cuddled. It makes me sick to my stomach to now how badly abused they are during their racing careers and that there life is usually over (as in killed) by 3. I got mine at 3-1/2 years old and he had tons of life left in him (he's 10-1/2 now and still has tons of life left). It's almost like he knows he was rescued and is sooooo thankful to me for that. Greyhound racing needs to be banned in every state...it's animal cruelty but yet it's animal curelty that makes money, so why not right....it's SICK!!!

Hi Grayjay- which state was the track in? I know they still have them in FL,
( I think) and WI. Sad state of affairs, wouldn't you say? Money rules..

Goz
Greyhound Dog Racing tracks, USA
This site lists the remaining tracks, and lists the one here that's been shut down for many years now. I'm not sure if state laws changed or it just lost its allure because of inspections and lower attendance. There are others listed in Colorado and I'm not sure if any of them actually exist. No clue. At least for the one here the website is "parked." Personally, I think they're on the way out just like fur coats. Who admits now, that they're going to the dogs! Nobody I knew (admitted they) went, even in the heyday.

Greyhound Dog Racing tracks, USA
This site lists the remaining tracks, and lists the one here that's been shut down for many years now. I'm not sure if state laws changed or it just lost its allure because of inspections and lower attendance. There are others listed in Colorado and I'm not sure if any of them actually exist. No clue. At least for the one here the website is "parked." Personally, I think they're on the way out just like fur coats. Who admits now, that they're going to the dogs! Nobody I knew (admitted they) went, even in the heyday.

Good find, grayjay. I hope you're right, and these places quit getting enough revenue to stay in business.

Why on earth did he put duct tape around their necks? He looks like a monster!

What a !!!!!

The sheriff was shocked at what his officers discovered.

"Thirty-two years I've been in law enforcement here locally and with the prosecutor's office also … I've never seen animal cruelty cases like this one," Haddock said.

"We hope he rots in prison," said Mark Hess, the assistant manager at the Ebro Greyhound Park in Florida, where the dogs raced this year.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-ma...reyhounds-stunning-adoption/story?id=12087614

November 2010:

The discovery of dozens of greyhound racing dogs tormented and left to starve to death after this fall's racing season had ended has angered and appalled law enforcement and humane officials.

Thirty-two grossly emaciated dogs have been found dead at a kennel owned by Ebro dog trainer Ronald John Williams. Another five were found alive, three of them severely malnourished, and are being nursed back to health.

Food for the dogs was found rotting in a broken freezer and several of the animals were found with duct tape tightly wound around their jaws and necks, said Washington County Sheriff Bobby Haddock.

"We don't know if it's a combination of trying to speed up the process or to keep them from barking," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-ma...reyhounds-stunning-adoption/story?id=12087614

Oh my God... That is absolutely horrific :(

August 2012:

Thirty-four greyhounds, some of them with their muzzles bound by duct tape, had been methodically starved to death.

The man responsible, Ronnie Williams, was sentenced to five years in prison for his crime, but Ebro Greyhound Park likely will be viewed by some into the future as his accomplice.

“I was the one that was down there. I was the one that realized … the duct tape,”Duncan said. “That still haunts me. It was the most horrible day ever.
“I can still remember the clothes I had on. It is one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced in my life. It will always be a part of me. If you can do that to an animal, what else can you do?”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...A5HtJbJIqcr6_dnow&sig2=5YObilrDdJq5Q6FgWxGjKA

This is horrifying, sickening and heartbreaking. Anyone that would do that to sweet, innocent dogs doesn't deserve to live and breathe. I'm sure there's a dog lover or two in that place, maybe he'll never walk out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back