Toddler mauled by Granny's 5 Pit Bulls

Graham County Sheriff's Capt. Joseph Jones said Monday that the boy was bitten on his neck, stomach and legs. Jones says the boy was attacked Saturday while playing in his yard, where several of the dogs were running free.

The boy is in critical condition

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TODDLER_MAULED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

:banghead:

Trying to give them away so she lets a 2 year old out in the yard where they are running free. Sounds like she is just plain ole stupid. :furious:

How many?

How many of these cases do we have to hear about before people get a clue??

Really, it isn't hard.........not asking for genius level deduction here.

A toddler unsupervised with any big dog, let alone five of them is stupid no matter what the breed.

A toddler unsupervised with any big dog, let alone five of them is stupid no matter what the breed.

I agree! I am blessed to have three wonderful dogs ranging in weight from 50 to 80 pounds. They are totally non-aggressive and are great around children. Yet, I would NEVER leave a small child with them, unsupervised.

Many years ago, I remember hearing about a Saint Bernard dog who attacked a young child. It was seemingly unprovoked -- and the dog was euthanized because he was deemed dangerous.

An autopsy was done on the dog to find out if there was any health reason for the attack and the dog was found to have a pencil pushed into its ear so deep that it hit the brain!! This was why the dog attacked the child.

I am not saying that was the case with this toddler, but the point of my story is that children are children and do things without knowing the harm in them -- and all a child needs to do is to act in an aggressive way to a dog, or inflict pain on the dog, and most breeds of dog will attack. It is their instinct.

God bless this poor little child -- many prayers for his recovery.

We have a black lab that is so mellow he allows the other dogs to lay on him while he is napping...would I allow a small child to stay with him alone? No. Never. You dont know what that child will do to provoke a bite from a pet. Or for that matter, the dog is having a bad day.

I wish I could see a picture of these dogs, the media seems to tag the dogs as pit bulls just because they are a bigger dog and bit. I have seen more than a few people call them pit bulls and they are not. The grandmother was the one who was responsible in this case. You don't let any child out around a pack of dogs, without supervision. The dogs can start out playing with a toy another dog wants it and then it turns to a fight. The child may have got caught up in this.

If you have a dog whether it's a poodle or a bull dog the child should never be left alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_attack (click for info on dog attacks.)

Unsupervised children

This is arguably the most critical factor in fatal dog attacks on children, who because of their small size are usually not able to withstand an attack until help arrives. Many adults survived severe dog attacks simply by virtue of the fact that they were able to sustain and fend the dogs off to some degree until assistance arrived.
Children often engage in behavior that will trigger a dog attack. For example, approaching a chained dog, trying to hug or kiss an unfamiliar animal, or trying to pull its tail.
The age group with the second-highest amount of fatalities due to a dog attack are 2-year-old children. Over 88% of these fatalities occurred when the 2-year-old child was left unsupervised with a dog(s) or the child wandered off to the location of the dog.[4]

Graham County Sheriff's Capt. Joseph Jones said Monday that the boy was bitten on his neck, stomach and legs. Jones says the boy was attacked Saturday while playing in his yard, where several of the dogs were running free.

The boy is in critical condition

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TODDLER_MAULED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

:banghead:

------------------------My granddaughter is a Vet Tech..They muzzle them right off,Amy is still scared of them.The Vets arent fond of them either!::steamed:

Where are people's heads? This makes me sick. That poor baby.

I wish I could see a picture of these dogs, the media seems to tag the dogs as pit bulls just because they are a bigger dog and bit. I have seen more than a few people call them pit bulls and they are not. The grandmother was the one who was responsible in this case. You don't let any child out around a pack of dogs, without supervision. The dogs can start out playing with a toy another dog wants it and then it turns to a fight. The child may have got caught up in this.

If you have a dog whether it's a poodle or a bull dog the child should never be left alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_attack (click for info on dog attacks.)

Unsupervised children

This is arguably the most critical factor in fatal dog attacks on children, who because of their small size are usually not able to withstand an attack until help arrives. Many adults survived severe dog attacks simply by virtue of the fact that they were able to sustain and fend the dogs off to some degree until assistance arrived.
Children often engage in behavior that will trigger a dog attack. For example, approaching a chained dog, trying to hug or kiss an unfamiliar animal, or trying to pull its tail.
The age group with the second-highest amount of fatalities due to a dog attack are 2-year-old children. Over 88% of these fatalities occurred when the 2-year-old child was left unsupervised with a dog(s) or the child wandered off to the location of the dog.[4]

Thank you, legalmania! A child should not be left unattended with any type of pet, no matter size, breed, or temperament. While a small cat is not likely to fatally maul a child, it could severely scratch or bite a baby.

A pack of dogs; never!

It doesn't take a very large dog to severely injure or kill a child either. My friendly and very affectionate beagle is pretty small. He is very strong though. While playing he has accidentally hurt me with scratches or running into me.

I would not turn my back on him around a kid ever! He has never bit anyone, or shown aggression, but it's just not worth the risk.

You could not pay me to own a pit bull. When we lived out in the county where there is NO leash law, my neighbor's pit chased me and my children (they were about 11, 12, and 13) at the time into our house and refused to move from the door. I called 9-11, and the dispatcher advised me to have my husband shoot the dog, that it was perfectly legal since it penned us in the house. I explained we didn't have a gun, and could she please send someone POST HASTE because there were a lot of little kids in the neighborhood at that time.

The deputy showed up, he was scared to death (and when I say scared to death, he wouldn't even get out of his car!), but refused to shoot the dog. He told me I could shoot it though. So, I had to explain that I didn't own a gun again. He didn't offer me his, but at that point if he would have, I probably would have shot the dog. He asked me where the dog lived, and I showed him, but the owner wasn't home. When the owner got home, I was supposed to call the deputy on his cell so he could come and talk to the owner. Nothing happened. The dog repeatedly got off of his chain, chased people and animals around. I finally went to the owner of the property and explained what was going on, and he made the guy get rid of the dog. The dog's owner kept telling me that the dog wouldn't hurt anyone. He told me that his pit was more gentle than my mini dachshund (not that my dachshund was gentle, she thought she was a pit bull!). Yeah, right buddy. Breathe wrong and a pit bull who isn't trained will go for the neck. I was never so thankful to move in my whole life. We lived there ten years and seen about 30 pits come and go.

As terrible as this sounds, the grandmother needs to face charges. These dogs aren't as gentle as baby shampoo. And it seems like a lot of pit bull owner's have this mentality that their dog can do no wrong. Their mindset needs to change.

------------------------My granddaughter is a Vet Tech..They muzzle them right off,Amy is still scared of them.The Vets arent fond of them either!::steamed:

Not necessarily true about vets not being fond of pits....my vet owns a pit bull, loves them! And my pit has never had to be muzzled when being seen by a vet, although my yorkie was muzzled!

First of all Tezi I think you and I live in the same town...LOL!! I am an animal lover but the Pitbull is one exception. These dogs are natural born killers. There are countless of stories out there of these dogs maiming or killing. No offense to responsible people that own these animals but IMO they should be outlawed because those people are far and in between. The norm is that these dogs are owned by irresponsible people or drug dealers trying to keep the law off their property. They are also bred for illegal dog fights which is reprehensible. My crazy drugged out neighbor owned two, a male and a female. Wonder what he was breeding them for?? One day the male got loose and kept my husband barricaded in his shop. We also had to call the law. A few police officers came and one was able to distract him while my husband got out of the shop and came into the house. The other officer and the owners' friend (the cowardly owner never showed up) were able to catch the dog and put him in the humane officers van. The owner apparently gave up rights to the dog and apparently he was put down. The officer told us that these dogs are not adoptable. The female also was eventually taken away because the drugged up owner had to go serve time for his drug offenses. The female was actually a very docile animal from what I could see she never barked at us or growled, still in these animals appearances may very well be deceiving. End of story.

Let's not blame the dogs, the blame is squarely on the idiot granny's shoulders. IMO

I've known many a pit in my time, they've all been wonderful, sweet, intelligent and well trained. Their owners were all responsible dog owners!

Any time the words "pit bulls" are said, I am reminded of when I was 8.

I was at a local park. I was running and screaming, just like any 8 year old would do. Suddenly, I was surrounded by a group of barking, snarling dogs. They got hold of my jeans on my right leg, bit me numerous times (and I still bear the scars), and there was a lot of yelling and screaming. I was taken to the local hospital, cleaned, bandaged, and sent on my way.

The group of dogs were checked out by the local PD, and all permits and vet records were established, so we knew I wouldn't get rabies. The owner was cited for letting the dogs off the leash at a park, and we all went on our merry way.

To this day, I get the shakes when I see a toy poodle. 'Cause that's what got me - toy poodles.

All that to say that responsible ownership is the key to safety. I've known many pits that are amazingly kind critters; and I've known toy poodles that were monsters from hell. Judge the book not by the cover but by the action, and practice responsible ownership.

I hope the child recovers fully.

Best-
Herding Cats

Any time the words "pit bulls" are said, I am reminded of when I was 8.

I was at a local park. I was running and screaming, just like any 8 year old would do. Suddenly, I was surrounded by a group of barking, snarling dogs. They got hold of my jeans on my right leg, bit me numerous times (and I still bear the scars), and there was a lot of yelling and screaming. I was taken to the local hospital, cleaned, bandaged, and sent on my way.

The group of dogs were checked out by the local PD, and all permits and vet records were established, so we knew I wouldn't get rabies. The owner was cited for letting the dogs off the leash at a park, and we all went on our merry way.

To this day, I get the shakes when I see a toy poodle. 'Cause that's what got me - toy poodles.

All that to say that responsible ownership is the key to safety. I've known many pits that are amazingly kind critters; and I've known toy poodles that were monsters from hell. Judge the book not by the cover but by the action, and practice responsible ownership.

I hope the child recovers fully.

Best-
Herding Cats

No imagine it was not a bunch of toy poodles but a bunch of pit bulls that attacked you. You might not be alive today to tell the tale. Of course the small dog could bite a child but is it going to cause the same type of damage? I don't think so.

No imagine it was not a bunch of toy poodles but a bunch of pit bulls that attacked you. You might not be alive today to tell the tale. Of course the small dog could bite a child but is it going to cause the same type of damage? I don't think so.

I thought the same thing that there has never been a story about a poodle actually killing anyone. If you google there are plenty of stories about pit bulls killing poodles. I do agree with one thing though that this grandma was extremely irresponsible in her actions so the whole issue does lie with owner responsibility. In essence the poodle vs pit bull thing is like mixing apples and oranges IMO. ;-D

Not necessarily true about vets not being fond of pits....my vet owns a pit bull, loves them! And my pit has never had to be muzzled when being seen by a vet, although my yorkie was muzzled!

------------------------------
It is not necessarily true, but they dont care to find out
They muzzle them for the safety of anyone who may come in the hospital.
Chuahuas (sp) are notorious for biting but I have known some that
never bit.The biggest biters where she works are the cats!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back