Reporter recalls when stars wrote notes to press (Very cool!)

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES – Once upon a Hollywood time, long before Twitter and Facebook became the missives of choice for many celebs, stars actually took pen in hand to communicate with the press — including this reporter. Some even sent telegrams.

They may have been urged by studio publicists. Or they may have just figured that it was wise to get on the best side of the media.

Whatever inspired them, I was recently reminded of this quaint practice while sifting through some old office files. There, I discovered a stack of letters from various celebrities I had covered over the years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_star_notes

too cool. ty DK Those were the days when folks knew how to write a thankyou note. Doris Day comes to mind :) Although, I'll bet the studios did impress upon them how very important it was to court the good favor of the press.

Thanks DK, I love it.

I loved Bette Davis:
Bette Davis began a 1949 letter: "Am en route to Chicago at this writing. Not liquor."

It seems so much more personal when they communicated this way.

Goz

There was actually a time when the actors respected the press and vice versa. Today there is no respect either way. And back then, the press weren't constantly in their faces. They could actually leave their homes and not be bombarded by cameras in their faces. Interviews with stars were actually scheduled with the press back then and both sides respected that. Of course, they still have scheduled interviews with stars today, but it sure isn't the same. Oh, for the golden days of Hollywood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back