1081 users online (233 members and 848 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nearly 4,500 Stranded On Cruise Ship Off Mexico

Bummer. For some this was probably a once in a life time experience.

fran

http://www.10news.com/news/25679214/detail.html

Nearly 4,500 Stranded On Cruise Ship Off Mexico

No Passengers Hurt

SAN DIEGO -- A cruise ship stranded offshore with 4,500 passengers and crew must be towed slowly into a Mexican port and will not arrive until at least Wednesday night, the Coast Guard said Tuesday.

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm sure Carnival wil give them another cruise but here's a heads up people...choose Princess. Carnival, NCL - not so good in fact yucky.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I'm sure Carnival wil give them another cruise but here's a heads up people...choose Princess. Carnival, NCL - not so good in fact yucky.
    Ditto on choosing Princess

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Bummer. For some this was probably a once in a life time experience.

fran

At least I'm sure they hope it will be!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

At least the ship was steady, no like these poor passengers. Remember this?

Cruise Ship Passengers Violently Tossed
    OMG These poor people. What a nightmare. (see video)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...eak-storm.html

It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

I must confess, I went on this same cruise on Carnival lines, (Jubilee), different ship, but we enjoyed every minute.

Of course, since then, I've watched in horror all of the disappearances, etc. I never would have dreamed something like that could happen to us.

I guess we were just lucky!
    JMHO
    fran

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Ship happens!

DH and I are avid cruisers and try to manage at least two per year. We've had a few unpleasant experiences but nothing of this magnitude.

On one of our earliest cruises, the ship was several hours late arriving back in Florida due to very dense fog. Our return flight wasn't until after noon so we were able to disembark and get to the airport in plenty of time. Passengers who had booked earlier flights were SOL and there was a lot of angst and frustration for those folks who had already missed early flights or had no hope of making a flight. We learned a valuable lesson from this experience and never book a return flight before noon. We also had one close call when traffic delayed our arrival at the cruise terminal barely in time to embark the ship. Whenever possible, we fly to the port city the day prior to sailing: the ship doesn't wait for late-arrivals.

We've missed scheduled ports of call due to poor weather conditions. While we understand from experience that "ship happens" , plenty of passengers have conniptions when they're not going to be able to visit a port on the itinerary. Best advice for these folks is that you shouldn't book a cruise in order to reach a specific port because you can't count on the ship getting you there.

On another one of our cruises, there was a power failure that affected only certain parts of the ship. We noticed that lights flickered but didn't even realize that the power had gone out in other areas of the vessel until we heard about it from other passengers.

Probably the most "exciting" shipboard adventure was an early morning (6:00) announcement in staterooms that the ship had altered course during the wee hours because a passenger required immediate medical attention. The ship was being steered into position close enough to Nassau so that a helicopter could hover above the vessel for an evacuation. Upper decks of the ship were closed, furniture battened down, pools partially drained and covered, etc. so that no one would be injured while the rescue transport hovered above the ship. Passengers on one side of the vessel were instructed to remain inside their staterooms and not stay on balconies. The entire operation took about an hour and was captured on video by many passengers.

I hope and pray that there are no serious medical issues for anyone onboard the Splendor and that the ship will arrive in Ensenada safely. It's certainly not the dream vacation that passengers had hoped for, but they will have plenty of stories to share with family and friends. I'd make the best of it because I know that "ship happens".
    BDE

Well, I wonder if they got to eat the fresh fruit and vegetables. I'd take that over spam any day!

JMHO
    fran

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...n-tow/19710693

Crippled Cruise Ship Tugged to Port With Spam in Tow

(Nov. 10) -- It's not caviar, but given the circumstances, it will have to do. A Navy ship has dropped about 60,000 pounds of Spam, Pop-Tarts and other supplies onto the deck of the Carnival Splendor, the disabled cruise ship that's being slowly tugged back to port.

The crippled ship is expected to arrive in San Diego late Thursday, Carnival said today in a statement. If the tow takes too long, however, company officials said they "could revert to the previous plan and dock in Ensenada [Mexico]" instead. The Splendor was headed for Mexico on Monday when an engine room fire disabled the vessel, cut its power and sent the cruise liner adrift more than 200 miles off the coast of San Diego.

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After reading this page OH I want to go on a cruise someday. NOT!

Seeing the old video of the people and furniture getting tossed around on the one ship was enough to make me shiver!

The thought of spam and poptarts instead of lavish buffets...yeesh!

Let's hope they get all of the people safely off that ship sooner rather than later. They are safe -- let's pray they all stay that way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    W

Latest reports indicate that the ship is being towed to San Diego instead of Ensenada and is expected to arrive @8:00PM PST tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkles View Post
    After reading this page OH I want to go on a cruise someday. NOT!

Seeing the old video of the people and furniture getting tossed around on the one ship was enough to make me shiver!

The thought of spam and poptarts instead of lavish buffets...yeesh!

Let's hope they get all of the people safely off that ship sooner rather than later. They are safe -- let's pray they all stay that way.
    It is very rare that something like the engine catching on fire and then quitting happens. I would not go during hurricane season. I think Nov or Dec for the Caribbean is a good time or March- May are a good time. I went a couple of times, but one time there was a freak storm it was the end of September everybody was sick. Nobody ate or drank anything for a couple of days. It was so gross. We got a free cruise. I went in October and it was perfect the whole time the sea was like a millpond. It was cool enough that you could go in the sun and not feel like a baked potato.
    Last edited by legalmania; 11-10-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ing-san-diego/

Carnival Splendor pulling into San Diego Bay

Ship was on a seven-day Mexican cruise that started in Long Beach

The disabled cruise ship Carnival Splendor is pulling into the mouth of San Diego Bay after drifting at sea for several days. Reporter Tanya Mannes is Tweeting the arrival live.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<,full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's the booze cruise

"Alcohol is being served" for free, said Joyce Oliva, a Carnival spokeswoman.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...#ixzz14zHcDn4f

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...ZBUdUmvXQ9nrUK

I am happy to hear that the ship made it into port and that passengers have now disembarked the disabled cruise ship. My local newscast misreported the ETA as 8:00PM instead of 8:00AM PST that is approximately when the ship docked in San Diego.

Reporting on Inside Edition, Jim Moret called it the "cruise from He!!-o", and I'm sure that the passengers onboard weren't exactly happy campers despite the free-flowing (warm) beer and wine. I hope everyone who was on this less-than-slendid cruise will have safe and happy travels on their homeward journeys.

I know that this must have been an uncomfortable and disappointing outcome for people expecting a wonderful vacation, however, I'm a little incredulous about the amount of personal suffering being reported by some passengers. I'm sure there are hundreds of lawyers out there desperately trying to get their hands on the passenger list and likewise, tons of passengers madly googling for lawyers right now. So, exactly how many months were 50+ Chilean miners trapped how many feet under the earth in a hole??? I hope all perspective is not lost and the passengers take whatever compensation is offered to them by the cruise line and get on with their lives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast