GUILTY VA - Ronald & Laura Jewell for child abuse, Louisa, 2010

Tinsamd

Justice for Shaniya!!!!
Reaction score
Unbelievable!! I think that it goes without saying that the title of this story should be:

Louisa child abuse case WILL re-write state law

LOUISA, VA (WWBT) - A child abuse case in Louisa could lead to changes in Virginia's law books to protect children in the future.

49-year-old Laura Jewell pleaded guilty to felony child abuse and neglect and malicious wounding in connection with the beating of her 8-year-old granddaughter this summer. She'd been facing a child torture charge, but the commonwealth decided to withdraw it, because of how the law is written.

That torture charge falls under the state code involving child labor laws. But now that could change. Delegate Bill Janis says he's working to fix the state law that might have made a difference in the Jewell case had the language been clear.

What's on the books right now only protects a child from a case of cruelty and torture while on the job.

:banghead:

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13474748

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this case, here is a link from this past July, when this story broke. I searched, & did not see an existing thread for this story.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/jul/16/loui16-ar-302246/

Ronald Jewell, his voice quavering at times, testified that he saw his wife and co-defendant, Laura Jewell, pull the girl's hair once, but he denied having known about the severity of the child's injuries.

A judge denied his request for bond. Arraignments for both defendants are set for July 28.

Louisa County Commonwealth's Attorney Thomas A. Garrett Jr. said during the hearing that the child suffered a broken bone in her foot and extensive bruising, and that her ears had been pulled, "leaving open, bloody wounds and scabbing."

"Clumps of hair were missing from behind her ears," Garrett added.

When are children ever going to be safe? The answer is, never, if the laws are not changed in the U.S. to protect children. We all need to fight for all children to be protected from these monsters. We seem to protect the ones that hurt our children by putting them in protective custody in jails and prisons, by not giving them the correct punishment for any type of abuse on children and then let them walk free in a few years only to hurt more children! All forms of abuse on children has to end! The only way is to change the laws on all aspects of abuse. I'm now on a mission to help change the laws for all children. The children are the future but they need our help now!

When are children ever going to be safe? The answer is, never, if the laws are not changed in the U.S. to protect children. We all need to fight for all children to be protected from these monsters. We seem to protect the ones that hurt our children by putting them in protective custody in jails and prisons, by not giving them the correct punishment for any type of abuse on children and then let them walk free in a few years only to hurt more children! All forms of abuse on children has to end! The only way is to change the laws on all aspects of abuse. I'm now on a mission to help change the laws for all children. The children are the future but they need our help now!

What really irks me is that lawmakers & judges don't always use common sense...I was crying tonite watching Mark Lundsford talking about Jessica - and the judge that's trying to change Jessica's Law.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-jessicaslawchallenged,0,6302353.story

Who wants pedophiles & rapists living next to schools? As far as I'm concerned these monsters lose their rights...too bad so sad if life gets tough for them & they can't live next to a school or public playground.

ETA: not to mention laws regarding parents & caregivers abusing children...IMO if a child is beaten til it's dies, that's not just 'felony injury to a child'....if and adult beat a human til it died, it wouldn't be 'felony injury to a man' -- it's murder or manslaughter - call it what it is!

Thank you so much for your interest in this story. It really does just break your heart. If we are supposed to be law abiding citizens, & we are teaching our children about the branches of government in the 3rd grade now... i.e. 8 year old victim... At the very least we should also be teaching them that these laws that are in place also protect their safety.

Texas Mist, I want to let you know that this child was finally able to escape. She went to her neighbor's house, poor thing, & she told them that she felt unsafe at home, & that neighbor called the police. I just wanted to clarify in case you thought that she had passed away.

God, this with Jessica's Law... I know. This year was the very 1st year trick or treating with the kids where we had to avoid a house because a registered sex offender lived there. It made me sort of slide in front of them as we walked past that house to cover them so that the jerk inside did not catch even a glimpse of our babies or their friends that were with us.

Bottom line... Laws need to be overly when it comes to our children, our future, not questionable.

It is heartbreaking - and glad that this little one got away...when I read about her clumps of hair missing, it made me think about another little one who, sadly, didn't get to safety...Her name was Charleeni & she has a thread here:

Father and Stepmother Charged in Girl's Murder - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The medical examiner found a 7-inch cut on her head that was filled with gauze and was covered up by a hair weave. Authorities say the girl also had a broken arm and pelvis.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7081623

Anyone who does these things to a child is a danger to society...IMO, humans who torture little kids are of the most dangerous kind...they obviously have no conscience.

The laws need to recognize this!

7 years... That's all. :-(

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=14082583

Thirty years, with all but seven suspended. That's the sentence for a Louisa woman convicted of abusing her own granddaughter.
Jewell told the court most of her granddaughter's injuries were self inflicted. The Commonwealth compared the child's fear to 9/11.

Prosecutors said it's hard to believe a seven year old would pull on her ears to the point of tearing and bleeding.

Jewell had also claimed her granddaughter's little brother pulled out her hair and bubblegum was also the reason why clumps were missing.

"Can a three- or four-year-old pull clumps of human hair from a skull? The bubble gum in the hair I think one piece plausible, two pieces maybe, but three, four, five spots, I think the court saw through that," said Louisa Commonwealth's Attorney Tom Garrett.

The judge told Jewell the photos of the girl's injuries don't lie. He called them horrendous.

She was sentenced to thirty but will serve only seven? That tells me the law is fine, but the judge has sh^t for brains. :banghead:

Lovely..if VA has GCT she'll be out in like 5. You get more time for possessing weed. Justice system, yeah right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back