Movie producer Dino De Laurentiis dies

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Movie producer Dino De Laurentiis dies

...He produced the Jane Fonda cult classic "Barbarella" in 1968 and moved to the United States shortly after, according to Digital Spy.

He had a reputation for backing big-budget bombs, but he made good movies too. Among his credits are "Serpico," "Three Days of the Condor," "Flash Gordon," "Dune" and the 1976 remake of "King Kong."...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Velvet_(film)

After the commercial and critical failure of Lynch's Dune (1984), he made attempts at developing a more "personal story", somewhat characteristic of his surreal style he displayed in his debut Eraserhead (1977). The screenplay of Blue Velvet had been passed around multiple times in the late 1970s and early 1980s, with many major studios declining it because of its strong sexual and violent content.

The independent studio De Laurentiis Entertainment Group, which was owned at the time by Italian film producer Dino De Laurentiis, agreed to finance and produce the film. Since its initial theatrical release, Blue Velvet has achieved cult status, significant academic attention and is widely regarded as one of Lynch's finest works, alongside Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive (2001).

IIRC, back when Blue Velvet was released I saw an interview with David Lynch on his struggle to get "Blue Velvet" (A great and disturbing movie) produced and how he finally managed to do so.

IIRC, Lynch was approached by David De Laurentiis to direct "Dune". Lynch had no interest in the project but De Laurentiis really wanted him to direct the movie.

So Lynch pulled out the script for 'Blue Velvet' and said; "Fine I'll direct Dune and you'll finance "Blue Velvet" for me."

The IMDB doesn't have De Laurentiis listed as a producer though. :waitasec:

So I may be wrong about that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam