MI: 14 year old F commits suicide, statutory rape case against 18 yr old M dismissed

Heard about this on JVM...
My take was that they said it was consensual, the mom heard about it, took her daughter to the media, changed the story to rape, then the girl was publicly humiliated. So Im thinking...way to go mom.

But now, someone else is stepping forward to file similar charges on the 18yo?

Curiouser and curiouser.:waitasec:

Does anyone live in this area? The comments section of the last article said the local media released the girl's name and then she was harrassed at school. Have you seen this case prior to her suicide?

JMHO
fran

Sorry, I should have looked before I posted. Here's more to this story.
:(
fran

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/11/national/main7043792.shtml

Rape Claim, Taunting Lead to Teen's Suicide

AP) Samantha Kelly endured merciless taunting from classmates after they learned that the high school freshman had accused a senior of rape.

The weeks of harassment eventually became too much. Samantha went home from school Monday and hanged herself in this community southwest of Detroit.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What's really bad is that there are other news stories that are referring to the whole thing as "Teenage angst gone too far" and other similarly glib headlines.

And even worse, the only reason that the charges against the boy are going nowhere fast is that now there is no complaining witness. He even admitted to having sex with her, saying that he thought she was 16, and he should have gotten to know her better first...

Tragic all the way around.

Does anyone live in this area? The comments section of the last article said the local media released the girl's name and then she was harrassed at school. Have you seen this case prior to her suicide?

JMHO
fran

As far as I understand it, the girl gave an interview to the local media with her mother. There is a link on the thread below that describes the interview.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back