GUILTY IL - Five teens, ages 14-17, killed by drunk driver, Oswego, 11 Feb 2007

*~Aimee~*

A Dream is a wish your Heart Makes
Reaction score
I was looking at other things online and came across this. I was so shocked about this tragedy. #1 a mother of 2 doing this #2 there was 9 people in that car? WoW
I didn't see this posted anywhere on WS and thought I would post it.

Sandra Vasquez Sentenced To 15 Years For DUI Crash That Killed Five Teens

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/27/sandra-vasquez-sentenced-_n_697639.html

A judge has sentenced an Illinois woman to 15 years in prison for causing the deaths of five teens in a 2007 alcohol-related car crash.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7634127

Aurora mom gets 15 years in fatal 2007 crash

On February 11, 2007, 26-year-old Vasquez was driving eight teens crammed into a sedan home from a party when she lost control on Route 31 in Oswego and crashed into a pole. Teens Katherine Merkel, Tiffany Urso, Jessica Nutoni, Matthew Frank and James McGee were killed. Vasquez and the three surviving teenagers were seriously injured.

HOw sad.

I see that she has tried to commit suicide twice.

She seems genuinely remorseful at least. It's sad all the way around. No one wins.

HOw sad.

She seems genuinely remorseful at least. It's sad all the way around. No one wins.

Oh my, that is sad. That car looks pretty roomy, but 9 people!

She was driving them home from a party. It sounds like maybe they all crammed in there because they didn't have another ride. In hindsight, anything else would have been better. :(

HOw sad.

She was an adult and one would presume she should have known better.

Oh my, that is sad. That car looks pretty roomy, but 9 people!

She was driving them home from a party. It sounds like maybe they all crammed in there because they didn't have another ride. In hindsight, anything else would have been better. :(

I can't find it writen anywhere but I think it only holds 5 - so that is 4 over the capacity.

I read also that Sandra was at a different party and one of the teens called her to come help them. - I'll look for it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news&id=5183504

April 4, 2007 (WLS) -- What really happened in the hours before five Oswego teenagers lost their lives in a horrible car crash? ABC 7's I-Team sat down with Oswego officials, who hope parents and teens can learn from the events leading up to the fatal crash.

By reading this sounds like the teens rode this way before. Some rode in the trunk on way to party in a different car driven by someone else.

http://www.ledgersentinel.com/article.asp?a=6486

Drivers switched prior to crash

Oswego Police officers testify in Feb. 11 crash

Sandra Vasquez told Oswego police officers that she was not the original driver of a car involved in a fatal crash that killed five Oswego teens and injured four earlier this year

That's very sad. 15 years means what - 5 or 6 in reality? Those poor families - all of them including hers.

I remember doing stupid, unsafe things like that as a teen (driving with way too many kids in the car) and not thinking twice about it (we never had any accidents thankfully). It seems like this could have happened w/out her being drunk also. I was expecting to see her blood level to be 3x the limit or something. I was surprised it was only .12 - by that, I only mean usually in these accidents the driver is way over the legal limit. Regardless, she was still drunk and broke the law and needs to be punished. 15 years is only 3 years per kid though - in that respect it's not a lot of time to serve.

That's very sad. 15 years means what - 5 or 6 in reality? Those poor families - all of them including hers.

I remember doing stupid, unsafe things like that as a teen (driving with way too many kids in the car) and not thinking twice about it (we never had any accidents thankfully). It seems like this could have happened w/out her being drunk also. I was expecting to see her blood level to be 3x the limit or something. I was surprised it was only .12 - by that, I only mean usually in these accidents the driver is way over the legal limit. Regardless, she was still drunk and broke the law and needs to be punished. 15 years is only 3 years per kid though - in that respect it's not a lot of time to serve.

She wasn't a teen. 26 years old is not a teen. She is an adult woman, and one would think should have known better. And it sure looks like she is going to have a lot of time to think about her behavior.

I was hoping she'd get a longer sentence.:banghead:

She wasn't a teen. 26 years old is not a teen. She is an adult woman, and one would think should have known better. And it sure looks like she is going to have a lot of time to think about her behavior.

Yes, I did read she was an adult. I was referencing the teenage passengers. And she is certainly going to have some time to think about her behavior - a couple of years for each life she took.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back