Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued #4

OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued #4

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119796"]Thread #1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119828"]Thread #2[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119911"]Thread #3[/ame]

If you know anything about the 4 missing please contact:
    Knox County Sheriffs Office: (740)397-3333
    Detective Division of KCSO: (740)393-6800
    2 kids & 2 adults are missing. Kody Maynard (10), Tina Herrmann (32) and Stephanie Sprang (41).
    Sarah Maynard (13) - Rescued!

Please continue here...

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

Can someone please tell JVM that she doesn't need to scream- the microphones pick up her voice just fine and NG isn't there to shout over.

So she is saying there were beer cans found in the victims home? The way she talked it was like the guy had been partying in the house for days- did she forget the house was checked on Thursday? Or did she just get carried away with her theory?
    Zahra
    Hear The Children

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kalekona For This Useful Post:

From TexasMist

JVM talking about fire burning in his yard Wed. nite...neighbor Donna saw a big silver truck in the back yard for days & saw the fire burning.

Caller asking how LE knew that Sarah was in the house.

Reporter says LE doesn't know the connection between the missing people & MH...says Sarah said 1st time she met MH was in the house w/ Tina & Kody.

So does this confirm they were all together and taken at one time ,not 2 different times?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulmagent For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    From TexasMist

So does this confirm they were all together and taken at one time ,not 2 different times?
    I would say no. It''s a slippery slope. I have my speculations on what happened, but no one is able to confirm when all/each were taken out of the house.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherbetjello For This Useful Post:

did anybody else hear the neighbor say she saw a big silver truck in MH's back yard for days? I think she said 4-5 days...just trying to check if I heard all that correctly.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    From TexasMist

I'm pretty sure that the local reporter on JVM's show tonite said Sarah met MH the for the first time when only her mom & brother were there.

IIRC, that's what we heard during presser today - that Sarah didn't see Stephanie.

Hope somebody chimes in if I mis-remembered the presser.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the local reporter on JVM's show tonite said Sarah met MH the for the first time when only her mom & brother were there.

IIRC, that's what we heard during presser today - that Sarah didn't see Stephanie.

I think you're right.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

That's my recollection of the PC as well. It was difficult to hear, but that's what it sounded like to me.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

did anybody else hear the neighbor say she saw a big silver truck in MH's back yard for days? I think she said 4-5 days...just trying to check if I heard all that correctly.
    If the neighbor who appeared on JVM is Donna/Dawna Davis, her story has changed...

"[Donna] Davis and other neighbors said the FBI questioned residents about when they had last seen Hoffman, what kind of car he drove and whether they had noticed anything unusual about his behavior. Davis said she hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary at Hoffman's house recently."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...e.html?sid=101

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to C.Hound For This Useful Post:

OT: Hello all, just joined and want to say it is certainly interesting (and informative) reading all your posts! Have so many questions about this case and hope the 3 missing persons are found asap, hopefully alive. Can't imagine what I would do if my teen went missing...

I found this piece of info on Matthew John Hoffman/Appeal in Colorado, it is from 2005, so he must have still been in their system then. Wonder if he is still on parole/probation, as he got 5 years supervision when he was sentenced to 8 years for the arson in Steamboat Springs? If he was supposed to be under supervision, wouldn't he have to check in periodically with a PO, have some type of a house visit, keep a job, and make payments on the $2 million fine from the arson? How was he able to get a loan for $30k to buy his 5-bedroom house last year?

http://www.colorado-appealsblog.com/...05_Archive.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kalekona View Post
    Can someone please tell JVM that she doesn't need to scream- the microphones pick up her voice just fine and NG isn't there to shout over.

So she is saying there were beer cans found in the victims home? The way she talked it was like the guy had been partying in the house for days- did she forget the house was checked on Thursday? Or did she just get carried away with her theory?
    The manager of the Dairy Queen where Tina works went to the house on Thursday when Tina didn't report for work for the second day in a row. She peeked in the windows and saw the beer cans. She entered the house and saw blood and called 911.

The police have been quoted as saying that it didn't appear like a struggle had taken place inside the house - no chairs turned over or anything like that, but they noted the beer cans and a significant amount of blood. They've described it as looking like someone was injured.
    My posts are my opinion..........

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sherbetjello View Post
    I would say no. It''s a slippery slope. I have my speculations on what happened, but no one is able to confirm when all/each were taken out of the house.
    There is no confirmation as to what happened inside that house or when people were taken away. But, in the presser today, the sheriff stated that the last time Sarah saw her mother, Tina, and her brother, Kody, was Wednesday. So, I think we can conclude that Sarah was somehow separated from the others.

The sheriff also said that the last time Sarah saw her mom's friend and neighbor, Stephanie, was Tuesday. So it would appear that Sarah was separated from her mother and brother before Stephanie came to the house.

I have the feeling that Stephanie walked into the situation as it was unfolding and was taken captive.
    Last edited by Leila; 11-15-2010 at 09:44 PM.

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    The manager of the Dairy Queen where Tina works went to the house on Thursday when Tina didn't report for work for the second day in a row. She peeked in the windows and saw the beer cans. She entered the house and saw blood and called 911.

The police have been quoted as saying that it didn't appear like a struggle had taken place inside the house - no chairs turned over or anything like that, but they noted the beer cans and a significant amount of blood. They've described it as looking like someone was injured.
    Something else I was trying to figure out - to read between the lines, maybe: the sheriff faltered a little when asked how MH was able to get them to leave the house (or something along those lines). He said something about 'not of their own volition' at one point (I think) but then another time I swear he paused, thought for a moment, and then said something to the effect that not all four of them left the house 'under their own power'. To me, the word 'power' and 'volition' could possibly mean different things. With using the world 'volition', I think more of being coerced/forced. But using the word 'power' makes me think that not all of them walked out of the house. I wonder if there are any smear/drag marks with the blood...

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Does Sarah's brother come home from school first, I wonder, or do they come together on the same bus? Or does one come home sooner than the other?
    Just my opinion, of course.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SunGirl View Post
    OT: Hello all, just joined and want to say it is certainly interesting (and informative) reading all your posts! Have so many questions about this case and hope the 3 missing persons are found asap, hopefully alive. Can't imagine what I would do if my teen went missing...

I found this piece of info on Matthew John Hoffman/Appeal in Colorado, it is from 2005, so he must have still been in their system then. Wonder if he is still on parole/probation, as he got 5 years supervision when he was sentenced to 8 years for the arson in Steamboat Springs? If he was supposed to be under supervision, wouldn't he have to check in periodically with a PO, have some type of a house visit, keep a job, and make payments on the $2 million fine from the arson? How was he able to get a loan for $30k to buy his 5-bedroom house last year?

:Welcome-12-june: to Websleuths Sun Girl!

Yes, most states require that the person on parole keep appts. with their parole officer, are required to keep a job, and to make payments on whatever fine the court imposed. The parole officers also make home visits on occasion.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

:Welcome-12-june:

Welcome to WebSleuths SunGirl. We're glad to have you here!

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nerosleuth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Does Sarah's brother come home from school first, I wonder, or do they come together on the same bus? Or does one come home sooner than the other?
    This article says they were both at East Knox Middle School (Grades 5-8). ETA: I assume they get home at the same time? Unless there were any extracurricular activities, etc.

To quote the above article:

Sarah Maynard is a seventh-grader at East Knox Middle School, where her brother is in the fifth grade, school officials said. The children were at school Wednesday.
    Last edited by belimom; 11-15-2010 at 09:53 PM.

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

mh's parents own the homes in ohio...

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SunGirl View Post

Welcome to Websleuths, SunGirl! Nice Sleuthing!

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:

Hmmm.....according to our members that were watching JVM and posting on the tail-end of thread #3....LE didn't "think" anyone else was involved besides MH. Assuming that's accurate....I again say, how did this lone perp manage vehicles and transport of 4 people & a dog alone? Have y'all posted theories on this already and I missed it a thousand posts back?

I continue to stare at this map one of our members "pinned" for us (sorry I've lost track of who to give credit to) and the distance between the 3 primary crime scenes we know of so far don't appear to logically have been walked between at any point....especially during the commission of a crime like we're following here. I think a vehicle(s) was used.

The perps vehicle was at his home and was impounded. One victim's vehicle was removed from her residence and abandoned...another victim's vehicle was found at that same residence.

How was this pulled off by one perp .

All of the victims were somehow, at some point, removed from the Apple Valley residence. My opinion is that they were all removed at the same time. I can't imagine the perp(s) would be running back and forth periodically removing the victims.....seems like it would raise the risk factor a great deal. Plus, it seems there may be a fairly tight time line established as to when the kids would have arrived home from school, when TH would have normally showed up at work, when a "wellness check" was requested at the residence, etc.

I'm also wondering if TH's fiance had met, or knew of, MH? They're all about in the same age range right? Had MH visited in the past before the break up? Maybe stopped by for a BBQ or to have a few beers?
    Everyone sees who you appear to be.....few really know who you are.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

Here is some info from Matthew Hoffman's mother:

Matthew Hoffman's mother spoke to 10TV's Jeff Hogan on Monday afternoon and said that since her son was arrested on Sunday morning, it has been an emotional time.

Hoffman's mother said her son occasionally had mail sent to her address but he has not lived at her home in two years.

She described her son as a "loner" and that she last saw him on Nov. 7, four days before investigators believe he abducted Maynard

43. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Yes, most states require that the person on parole keep appts. with their parole officer, are required to keep a job, and to make payments on whatever fine the court imposed. The parole officers also make home visits on occasion.
    Here are the answers:

While on parole, Hoffman was ordered to make payments for the $2 million in damage to the condos, but records showed he only paid about $5,000.

State records showed Hoffman was on parole supervision until October, Aker reported.

Last edited by Wondergirl; 11-15-2010 at 09:40 PM.

45. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Smile

Thank you for the welcome! It just seems odd that the suspect was able to purchase a 5-bedroom house and pay the mortgage by himself. Some news said he worked as a tree trimmer and today it was mentioned that he is not currently employed. Did he have room mates ever (besides the woman (gf?) who supposedly stayed with him for a few weeks, month?), and if he was working, wouldn't at least some of the neighbors have seem him leave in the mornings, with tools, and possibly come home in the evenings?

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SunGirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Something else I was trying to figure out - to read between the lines, maybe: the sheriff faltered a little when asked how MH was able to get them to leave the house (or something along those lines). He said something about 'not of their own volition' at one point (I think) but then another time I swear he paused, thought for a moment, and then said something to the effect that not all four of them left the house 'under their own power'. To me, the word 'power' and 'volition' could possibly mean different things. With using the world 'volition', I think more of being coerced/forced. But using the word 'power' makes me think that not all of them walked out of the house. I wonder if there are any smear/drag marks with the blood...
    Thanks for mentioning this. The sheriff did use the words "volition" and "power", and I did note that he was struggling for the right words. I think LE may not know with certainty what happened beyond what Sarah could tell them. I'm sure she was able to tell LE what happened up until the point at which she was separated from the others. If she witnessed whatever happened to cause all the blood in the house, LE could make a reasonable conclusion about what might have happened.

I suspect that poor Sarah may be so traumatized by what happened to her, she may have been able to tell them in general what happened, but some of the details may be lost due to fear. Those details will probably come back to her once this is behind her for a while. She needs to recover from her ordeal. I hope she's getting counseling.

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast