CANADA Canada - Bowmanville, Ont, Black/S. AsianFem 18-30, 90UFON, near freeway, Oct'06

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 90UFON
http://doenetwork.org/cases/90ufon.html

90UFON5.jpg
90UFON6.jpg
90UFON7.jpg

90UFON8.jpg
90UFON9.jpg
90ufon12.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on October 27, 2006 in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
* State of Remains: Skeletal

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 18-30 years old
* Distinguishing Characteristics: She has a very well-healed nasal fracture which would have been located at the midpoint of her nose (in life) - the point where the nasal bones end and the soft part of the nose begins. The fracture is set so she either received treatment, or it is possibly the result of rhinoplasty. The fact that her nose had been fractured (or surgically altered) would not have been obvious unless someone who knew her at the time saw her post trauma/surgery, or she told someone. She exhibits bone changes indicative of anemia.
* Personal Effects: A piece of red ribbon was found near the remains. A woman's digital watch was found near the remains. The straps were stainless steel. Investigation has determined that the watch was manufactured by the Omni Watch Company in the early 1980s. There was a small red heart that was found in the vicinity of the body.
* Dentals: Available. Nice teeth with visible white fillings on her front teeth, one front tooth appears slightly wider than the other, smallish silver fillings in some back teeth. Her upper and lower jaws are described as narrow. She also had prominent upper and lower teeth that protruded. Her upper teeth protruded more than her lower teeth.

Case History
# The skeletal remains of this female were found in a field near the South Service Road and Holt Road. This is near the entrance to Darlington Nuclear Plant in Bowmanville, Ontario.

Mystery of dead woman found in Clarington lingers

DURHAM -- Durham police have issued another appeal for information as they probe the mystery of a woman whose skeletal remains were discovered four years ago on a lonesome patch of scrubland near Bowmanville.

"Somebody's loved one is in a field and we have not established their identity," Durham homicide Detective Chuck Nash told reporters gathered at the site, in the shadow of the Darlington nuclear plant, Tuesday morning. "This person belongs to someone and they deserve to be put to rest."

A cause of death for the woman, a Caucasian aged 18 to 30, has not been determined. But the circumstances confronting police -- a young woman, dead in a remote spot south of Hwy. 401 that's usually all but inaccessible because of mucky conditions -- render the case "highly suspicious," said Det. Nash.

http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/crime/article/166046

Here's another article released back in August 2009, along with a different facial reconstruction.
http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/crime/article/132451
2106793210045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Three quotes I find interesting from the article -

"investigators have yet to identify the woman, whose remains may have been in the field anywhere from two to 10 years before they were discovered."

"Det. Nash said it's been traced to Burns Jewelers, a family-operated shop that was located on Simcoe Street in Oshawa until its closure in 1994.

"Earlier, police recovered a small woman's digital watch, an Omni model that was sold through the now-defunct Consumers Distributing chain between 1981and 1983."

So what should our search criteria be in terms of years? It really seems to be wide open...the reason I am asking is because of the watch being nearly 30 years old.

Three quotes I find interesting from the article -

"investigators have yet to identify the woman, whose remains may have been in the field anywhere from two to 10 years before they were discovered."

"Det. Nash said it's been traced to Burns Jewelers, a family-operated shop that was located on Simcoe Street in Oshawa until its closure in 1994.

"Earlier, police recovered a small woman's digital watch, an Omni model that was sold through the now-defunct Consumers Distributing chain between 1981and 1983."

So what should our search criteria be in terms of years? It really seems to be wide open...the reason I am asking is because of the watch being nearly 30 years old.

I don't know how they decided upon the 10-year upper limit on the PM interval. There was a multi-colored striped shirt found with the remains, so I suppose the presumption might have been that it would not have lasted longer than 10 years in the elements.

But given that her watch and ring were both bought in Canada, one could infer that she is from Canada or was a frequent visitor to Canada.

ETA: Consumers Distributing did have branches in the Northeast U.S., California, and Nevada, but most of its locations were in Canadia.

The UID victim could be long dead for more than 20 yrs since both mult-colored striped shirt & unique ring are out of style with modern clothes & jewelry after yr 2000.

Wow, were there a lot of articles simultaneously published about this UID, and lengthy, descriptive, well-written ones at that.

Her shirt is said in some accounts to be a "Blue Rodeo" men's hooded shirt made by Tip Top, specifically from 1995 until 1996, when a band by the same name demanded they stop using their trademarked name:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...hope-new-discovery-helps-solve-cold-case?bn=1

IMHO that shirt would've been quite in-style between 1992-1996. I was in high school then and those particular colors (reminiscent of the "Cross Colours" brand's scheme of black/green/red/yellow) and wide stripes were "in" but like KLDC620 said, they were pretty much out by 2000. Here's another Tip Top Tailors men's shirt that probably was made during the mid-90s, if I had to wager a guess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Vintage-Re...04049?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item3cad5a25d1

If the UID died no earlier than 1995 (and I'm certainly not saying the shirt couldn't be a red herring and these remains couldn't be older) then maybe the watch was a hand-me-down from an older relative, borrowed from a significant other or even bought secondhand.

That tiny bit of red ribbon is the type of string you'd use to tie a balloon or gift, not something a woman would typically use to tie her hair back. I wish we knew more about the little red heart. It looks like something plastic that was once sewn or otherwise attached to an item that has since disintegrated, like an emblem on a sweatshirt, sock, or sneaker. (Although one would think that if the shirt survived, a sneaker wouldn't have time to disintegrate into nothing.)

That's a really old school watch...

I wonder if the heart and ribbon have something in common. That ribbon is usually used for wrapping gifts or tying to a balloon. That heart could have been a detail on paper wrapping maybe? I would think paper would have disintegrated. It does look extremely small so maybe it was part of a card? It has a silver baking to it you can tell, which would make it more sparkly. It looks too fragile to be part of clothing IMO so I think it has something to do with a gift or gift wrap.

This article has the new facial reconstruction. IMO she looks more Caucasian than in the other one.
new_facial_depiction_2small.jpg

shirt_2010111613719.jpg

unique multi-coloured shirt - it has a hood attached to it
The shirt has a "Blue Rodeo" brand name tag attached, which was a product line sold at Tip Top Tailors between 1995 and 1996.

tp-durham-ring.jpg

ladies gold ring - Garnet (size 9½)
The ring was made sometime in the early 80s

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/11/16/bowmanville-woman-clues325.html#ixzz15dwfwMoV
In addition, investigators have now been able to create a DNA profile of the unnamed female victim, although no matches have been made.
New leads in Clarington cold case
Clarington.com
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 16 November 2010 23:07 )
http://www.clarington.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=470

CBC News - Toronto: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/11/16/bowmanville-woman-clues325.html

"There's a good chance this person was never reported missing to the police," Det. Nash said. It's also possible a report was filed, but the file was deleted as time went on, he said.

"It's easy that someone can fall through the cracks."

how very sad, if this were the case.

could someone please post a side by side of the above 3d and the photo of Angela Hartman posted above. I simply don't know how to do this.
Thanking you in advance.

could someone please post a side by side of the above 3d and the photo of Angela Hartman posted above. I simply don't know how to do this.
Thanking you in advance.
Is this what you mean LilyMB?
new_facial_depiction_2small.jpg
hartmann_angela.jpg
hartmann_angela_ap.jpg
273a976a4581b661e2b14f9f15f3.jpeg

That's a really old school watch...

I wonder if the heart and ribbon have something in common. That ribbon is usually used for wrapping gifts or tying to a balloon. That heart could have been a detail on paper wrapping maybe? I would think paper would have disintegrated. It does look extremely small so maybe it was part of a card? It has a silver baking to it you can tell, which would make it more sparkly. It looks too fragile to be part of clothing IMO so I think it has something to do with a gift or gift wrap.
The red heart and the red ribbon make me think of Valentine's Day - the heart looks like one of those puffy stickers.
90UFON.jpg
90UFON2.jpg

P20060291_04.jpg

P20060291_03.jpg

What do you think about Angela Hartmann as a possible match?

Her birth date is January 4 and garnet is the birthstone for January
She dissappeared in 1983 and the watch is perfect for that time-frame.
The most likely last sighting of her was in Ottawa

If the shirt is related to the remains and from the 90's then she's probably not a good candidate.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/817dfon.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hartmann_angela.html

View attachment 12379

Based on timing and area, I think this one is a good candidate,especially if the men"s shirt and large ring belong to someone else.I am wondering if there are any more uid's, yet to be found in the area.

Based on timing and area, I think this one is a good candidate,especially if the men"s shirt and large ring belong to someone else.I am wondering if there are any more uid's, yet to be found in the area.
I remember seeing aerial views of the site some time ago, when looking at the OPP site, but I can no longer find those. In the meantime, posting these images:
Bowmanville is the largest community in the Municipality of Clarington in Durham Region, Ontario, Canada. It is located in Southern Ontario about 75 km east of Toronto and 15 km east of Oshawa along Highway 2. The Town of Bowmanville was a stand-alone incorporated municipality from 1858 to 1973. Bowmanville is surrounded by rural areas on three sides, and Lake Ontario to the south. Farmland formerly covered central Bowmanville until the population increased, thus establishing a nascent downtown core by the early 19th century. There is a harbour to the south of Bowmanville in Port Darlington. Settlers were attracted to the area by the farmland, and creeks for water mills, first (including one still standing, now called Vanstone's Mill) at Bowmanville (originally Barber) Creek, at the present-day intersection of King Street and Scugog St., from which businesses and housing spread east, and later on Soper Creek (including another mill still standing as the municipality's Visual Arts...
600_cold_victim2_101116_430241.jpg
600_cold_victim2_101116.jpg

sources for images:

- http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/129834--durham-police-uncover-more-evidence-in-cold-case

- http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...e-remains-101117/20101117/?hub=TorontoNewHome

- http://www.freebase.com/view/en/bowmanville_ontario

The Doe Network:
Case File 90UFON
http://doenetwork.org/cases/90ufon.html

90UFON5.jpg
90UFON6.jpg
90UFON7.jpg

90UFON8.jpg
90UFON9.jpg
90ufon12.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on October 27, 2006 in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
* State of Remains: Skeletal

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 18-30 years old
* Distinguishing Characteristics: She has a very well-healed nasal fracture which would have been located at the midpoint of her nose (in life) - the point where the nasal bones end and the soft part of the nose begins. The fracture is set so she either received treatment, or it is possibly the result of rhinoplasty. The fact that her nose had been fractured (or surgically altered) would not have been obvious unless someone who knew her at the time saw her post trauma/surgery, or she told someone. She exhibits bone changes indicative of anemia.
* Personal Effects: A piece of red ribbon was found near the remains. A woman's digital watch was found near the remains. The straps were stainless steel. Investigation has determined that the watch was manufactured by the Omni Watch Company in the early 1980s. There was a small red heart that was found in the vicinity of the body.
* Dentals: Available. Nice teeth with visible white fillings on her front teeth, one front tooth appears slightly wider than the other, smallish silver fillings in some back teeth. Her upper and lower jaws are described as narrow. She also had prominent upper and lower teeth that protruded. Her upper teeth protruded more than her lower teeth.

Case History
# The skeletal remains of this female were found in a field near the South Service Road and Holt Road. This is near the entrance to Darlington Nuclear Plant in Bowmanville, Ontario.

I find that the jaw as depicted in the composite drawings look broad,but the "Her upper and lower jaws are described as narrow"

Since the wrist watch was fitted for a slender wrist,but the ring was for a large finger,I wondered if the uid woman was pregnant ( swollen fingers) perhaps explaining why she may have worn a man's shirt.Also a common thing in pregnancy,"She exhibits bone changes indicative of anemia."
Conversely,she may have started out as heavier person who was dieting or deprived of nourishment for one reason or another.

How come no one notice any foul smell from nearby when driving on the roads according to aerial views (from above)? Or even look at funny shape across the plain brown landscape from the road?

I imagined that the killer still looking across the field in everytime he/she pass the road/highway.

How come no one notice any foul smell from nearby when driving on the roads according to aerial views (from above)? Or even look at funny shape across the plain brown landscape from the road?

I imagined that the killer still looking across the field in everytime he/she pass the road/highway.

Everything looks different when looking from high above. Judging from one of the articles, her remains were not easy to be found:

A man harvesting dogwood plants called police on his cellphone when he stumbled across a skull in a boggy field at Holt Rd. and the South Service Rd., just off the eastbound 401 exit near Bowmanville, on Oct. 27, 2006.

Forensic officers cleared tall grass and weeds for weeks and were only able to find the skull which had two missing teeth, a few other bones, a wristwatch and a piece of red ribbon.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/891964--who-is-this-woman?bn=1#article

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back