GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Please continue here.

image_missingadultschildren.jpg

If you know anything about the 4 missing please contact:
Knox County Sheriffs Office: (740)397-3333

Detective Division of KCSO: (740)393-6800
2 kids & 2 adults are missing. Kody Maynard (10), Tina Herrmann (32) and Stephanie Sprang (41).
Sarah Maynard (13) - Rescued!

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

is it just me or does today seem to be dragging on?

It must be 1000 times worse for the families of Tina, Kody & Stephanie. :(

Cubby, thanks for putting links to all the threads!

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=159071

AKRON -- An expert in serial killers believes Matthew Hoffman, charged with kidnapping and a suspect in the 3 mssing people near Mount Vernon, will be a unique challenge to police because his crime is so unusual.

Dr. Mary E. Myers, an associate professor at the University of Akron, teaches a course on serial killers and is a retired Akron Police Captain.

Myers believes that Hoffman's eight years behind bars most likely led to an anti-social personality which makes his future behavior unpredictable.

Thanks to Texas Mist for posting this article just before the fold in the last thread.

BBM - It bothers me that he says this, because I suspect another expert could very well argue that the antisocial tendency was well established before MH spent time in prison. I don't think prison "led him" to it AT ALL.

BBM - It bothers me that he says this, because I suspect another expert could very well argue that the antisocial tendency was well established before MH spent time in prison. I don't think prison "led him" to it AT ALL.

I agree. Furthermore, I hate quotes like this. Dr. Myers is making these statements from the scant information available from the media, some of which are statements from neighbors possibly looking for a few minutes on television, rather than accurate observations.

I really, really hate psychologists, doctors, and profilers who make statements to the media about cases because they aren't privy to the the full information necessary to even back up the claims they are making.

Hi, all, I'm a few day behind due to hospitalization. Have they checked the basement of TH's house?

Does anyone else remember the case where the family was missing but they were deceased in the basement but no one looked down there?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=159071

Thanks to Texas Mist for posting this article just before the fold in the last thread.

MH did spend a considerable amount of time in prison, eight years, when you think that he was only 20 years old when he went in so who really knows. I wonder what he was like before he went to prison. It would be interesting to see prison reports on what kind of inmate he was in prison, his behavior and such. But he clearly had major problems before he ever went to prison. I think that the article posted by TexasMist makes an excellent point. The expert said this crime poses a unique challenge for LE.

Hi, all, I'm a few day behind due to hospitalization. Have they checked the basement of TH's house?

Does anyone else remember the case where the family was missing but they were deceased in the basement but no one looked down there?

hope you feel better real soon!!!:angel:

MH did spend a considerable amount of time in prison, eight years, when you think that he was only 20 years old when he went in so who really knows. I wonder what he was like before he went to prison. It would be interesting to see prison reports on what kind of inmate he was in prison, his behavior and such. But he clearly had major problems before he ever went to prison. I think that the article posted by TexasMist makes an excellent point. The expert said this crime poses a unique challenge for LE.

I think being a retired police captain would have a lot of insight to dangerous criminals & the horrible crimes they commit.

I don't agree either that going to prison caused any personality disorders tho -- I think it fueled him w/ more rage making him more dangerous on release.

Wish we knew why Myers thinks going to prison could cause APD.

Someone posted up-thread (last thread?) that MH did have incidents while in prison.

Hope all is better now, Scorp.

I think it's safe to say LE checked the basement -- that's where Sarah was found.

Sheriff Barber made a comment in the presser today about them not getting much sleep, and Knox County seems to be working very hard on this case & they've got lots of help from the big guns: OSHP, OBCII, FBI, and LE from surrounding counties.

I hope they get enough evidence against Hoffman soon so he can be pressured into talking....I don't think he'll talk until there's something in it for him- like avoiding the DP.

Someone posted his prison report in the last 2 threads somewhere it listed how many reports he had filed on his and stuff like that.

Hope all is better now, Scorp.

I hope they get enough evidence against Hoffman soon so he can be pressured into talking....I don't think he'll talk until there's something in it for him- like avoiding the DP.

It's hard for them to do that with these numbers, though. Prosecutors will sometimes spot you one to recover a body, but three would be a little much.

many profilers will tell you that when you're looking for a sexual predator, and I know we don't know that yet to be true in this case, but their crimes often start with simple peeping, then burglary , and then assualt....then murder....

your personality is pretty much fixed by the time you are 5 yrs old....granted, 7 yrs in prison for a soft looking young man must have been horrendous....

I suspect that MH has been an active criminal for many years....probably early on in life and when he was out of prison...

JH on FB posted that they'd reported seeing him on the Heart of Ohio trail. They went down there and were told that there were live mines in the woods and to stay out of there. Police and FBI going in.

No words.

Perhaps this is part of why Barber seemed so different at the presser and it was so brief.

Someone posted his prison report in the last 2 threads somewhere it listed how many reports he had filed on his and stuff like that.

Ok, thanks. I must have missed it somehow.:blushing:

Just blabbering here, these are all my own thoughts from what has happened today.
1. I thought the press conference had an emphasis on press, as in pressed for time. The tempo was much different than past press conferences.
2. I heard nothing of another press conference taking place. Could mean nothing, not in the least, but...
3. The chatter today from FB (which are still just rumors at this point) gives me this feeling in my stomach that I am not too happy with. (The posts have been removed, rightfully so, but they appeared pre-press conference and the tone of the conference didn't help relieve any of the feelings I have.) [mods, snip me if this isn't allowed.]
4. I can not help but really, really wonder about Stephani (MS?) and her time line. From what she was wearing, to who saw her last (wouldn't that be her child??), to how her car showed up at Tina's. I can not say this enough, her information is a BIG gap for me in this time line.
5. My heart bleeds for this community. I see how diligently they are all working, the support and generosity is out of this world, and personally I couldn't think of a better community to live in. Wicked people exist everywhere but it is nice to see where those that are evil exist the strong unite as the beacon of humanity.

I pray that there are answers soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member