817 users online (105 members and 712 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tech Forensics, computers cel phones, texts,

Were computers seized from Baker home in the sealed warrant search? Have LE received phone records, texts etc. yet?

How big a role will these things play in a trial?

How long do forensics of technological nature such as these take?

All things Computer, etc Forensics here.
    Last edited by tlcya; 11-17-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Thanks for the nifty new thread
    The Soul is never complete; it's continually in a state of becoming more. That's why you are Forever.

Justice for Stacy Peterson & Kathleen Savio

Find Stacy Peterson|timeline

Life is an Echo. Everything comes back; the good, the evil, the truth, the false. Karma escapes no one.
    RIP Zahra Baker

Make a Difference. Save a Life. Walk in 2016

Every 16 minutes someone dies by suicide.
    Shedding light on the epidemic of suicide by giving survivors a voice.
    http://www.theovernight.org/
    We will always remember.. Zahra Baker, Kailey Vijil, Caylee Anthony,
    Where are You? Bob Harrod, Kyron Horman, Stacy Peterson, Susan Powell, Deorr Kunz

So anyone know any tech people or LE detectives, etc who may know how long the computere, etc forensics would take to compile, analyse?

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

Seems like it took a little while in ICA's case, but I guess it would depend on how deep they had to dig?
    If there's hink....there must be stink.

The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Do we know if/how many computers, laptops, and/or cell phones were taken into evidence? And when?

Gosh I am recognizing now how much Sunshine Laws are our friends.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

I would also be VERY interested to find out where Zahra's laptop is/was.. as she was given one in AU. What may be on her laptop could be VERY important.

"The community and Giru State School raised money for a wheelchair for Zahra, and for a laptop computer so she could do schoolwork from home."

http://www2.morganton.com/news/2010/...s-a-ar-500679/
    The Soul is never complete; it's continually in a state of becoming more. That's why you are Forever.

Justice for Stacy Peterson & Kathleen Savio

Find Stacy Peterson|timeline

Life is an Echo. Everything comes back; the good, the evil, the truth, the false. Karma escapes no one.
    RIP Zahra Baker

Make a Difference. Save a Life. Walk in 2016

Every 16 minutes someone dies by suicide.
    Shedding light on the epidemic of suicide by giving survivors a voice.
    http://www.theovernight.org/
    We will always remember.. Zahra Baker, Kailey Vijil, Caylee Anthony,
    Where are You? Bob Harrod, Kyron Horman, Stacy Peterson, Susan Powell, Deorr Kunz

Noetic, I completely agree. If Zahra still had her computer, or if someone else had confiscated it. Knowing what became of that computer is very important IMO

I would have to suspect they took it away from her to use for themselves, especially since she was not allowed to contact family or friends.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    So anyone know any tech people or LE detectives, etc who may know how long the computere, etc forensics would take to compile, analyse?
    I suspect the time involved is mostly dependent on the electronic forensic lab work load. Have followed three cases from around the Raleigh area in the past - SBI doing the analysis of computers - one case it was about 3 weeks, another it was about 6 months. But to qualify - that was the time it took before the press found results or when new warrants were released with probable cause sections including data from the computers.

A couple of other things I do know - they do not collect the entire computer - only the hard drive. As to cell records, no warrant is necessary, only a subpeona. From what I have seen, one won't know about it or possible results unless it is referenced in a probable cause section of a warrant. Seems to me though, warrants in Zahra's case will continue to be sealed even though EBs attorneys let the cats out of the bag so to speak. This is only what I have seen in other high profile cases in NC - there are always variations.
    Racing Doesn't Lie

Great thread. I suspect computer evidence will play a very large part in the case - searches for how to dismember a body anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    Were computers seized from Baker home in the sealed warrant search? Have LE received phone records, texts etc. yet?

How big a role will these things play in a trial?

How long do forensics of technological nature such as these take?

All things Computer, etc Forensics here.
    Great thread and finally something right down my alley! The computer forensics will play a huge part in this case, I have no doubt whatsoever. I am sure their ISP, etc were court ordered to turn over online activity on their account.

Once forensics copies the hard drive it could take awhile to compile all the evidence found. The device will searched with a fine tooth comb compiling deleted files, online activity such as email, websites visited, google searches and documents written.

Since it seems these two were online freaks, I believe this evidence will be a turning point as to to timeline, COD and guilt to which party. Watch closely.

ETA moo

Great thread topic, TL!
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

I wonder if these two would have been smart enough to have gotten rid of computers during the clean up. But, even if they were that smart, I would think the money factor would come into play. In other words, I doubt they would have trashed them as opposed to selling them.

(Just thinking out loud.)
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

I think they kept them. I can't see them being able to live without their computers, so I think they would have taken the risk to keep them. IMO

Great thread and many thanks for starting it! I am hopeful that the evaluation and/or forensics of the computer data will lead us to know more about the roles each of them played in the Zahra dynamic.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast