Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    And there's also the possibility that AB knew their marriage wasn't legal. If AY did, in fact, show AB the marriage license (as he claims he did), then did AB eventually put 2 and 2 together? I would think this would lead to a very volitile situation in the home, if that were the case.

Just speculating...nothing solid to go on.
    It also could have been he was told about the online affair, or not. It would definitely cause for friction between them.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clue Hopper For This Useful Post:

I think the bigamy may speak to immagration status, and more importantly why certain services that should have been available to Zahra were not sought out and taken advantage of. I feel EB did not pursue medical care/coverage for Zahra because of the shaky status of the marriage and citizenship. MOO

ETA Until we have some idea of COD, I don't see where we can dismiss this information out of hand as not relevant or not contributing to whatever went down.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

I'd really like the hear how this might affect AB's immigration status. Maybe one of the lawyers will weigh in.
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mountain_Kat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clue Hopper View Post
    It also could have been he was told about the online affair, or not. It would definitely cause for friction between them.
    Well, we don't really know that there WAS an online affair, do we? We have no idea what the nature of that relationship was...could be something perfectly innocent.

JMO
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain_Kat For This Useful Post:

I'd really like the hear how this might affect AB's immigration status. Maybe one of the lawyers will weigh in.
    We need a lawyer thread for this forum so we can ask them that question. And more questions. I'm surprised we don't have one yet.

I wonder too about this, and I'm hoping his immigration status doesn't affect this case in a way that benefits him. Then again, I don't think Australia wants him back.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:

Well, we don't really know that there WAS an online affair, do we? We have no idea what the nature of that relationship was...could be something perfectly innocent.

JMO
    Actually no we don't know. Yet it did warrant enough concern for her daughter to call it one.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Clue Hopper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clue Hopper View Post
    Actually no we don't know. Yet it did warrant enough concern for her daughter to call it one.
    One of the daughters actually said "affair"? Do you have a link , because I completely missed that info. TIA

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain_Kat For This Useful Post:

50-6. Divorce after separation of one year on application of either party

50-6. Divorce after separation of one year on application of either partyMarriages may be dissolved and the parties thereto divorced from the bonds of matrimony on the application of either party

Marriages may be dissolved and the parties thereto divorced from the bonds of matrimony on the application of either party, if and when the husband and wife have lived separate and apart for one year, and the plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce has resided in the State for a period of six months. A divorce under this section shall not be barred to either party by any defense or plea based upon any provision of G.S. 50-7, a plea of res judicata, or a plea of recrimination. Notwithstanding the provisions of G.S. 50-11, or of the common law, a divorce under this section shall not affect the rights of a dependent spouse with respect to alimony which have been asserted in the action or any other pending action.

Whether there has been a resumption of marital relations during the period of separation shall be determined pursuant to G.S. 52-10.2. Isolated incidents of sexual intercourse between the parties shall not toll the statutory period required for divorce predicated on separation of one year.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SherlockHomey For This Useful Post:

Didn't EB say in one of her letters "my soon to be ex-husband". Does she think she's legally married? Is she legally married?

Certainly a question I cannot answer.

Mel

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
    We need a lawyer thread for this forum so we can ask them that question. And more questions. I'm surprised we don't have one yet.

I wonder too about this, and I'm hoping his immigration status doesn't affect this case in a way that benefits him. Then again, I don't think Australia wants him back.
    There is a thread for questions to the lawyers.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118913"]Questions for our VERIFIED LAWYERS*~*~*NO DISCUSSIONS*~*~* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
    :Banane59: Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

One of the daughters actually said "affair"? Do you have a link , because I completely missed that info. TIA
    I stand corrected it said "relationship".

In a Catawba County courtroom Wednesday, Amber Fairchild, 25, described her mother, Elisa Baker, as a potentially violent and unstable woman who has severed ties with her N.C. family and begun an online relationship with a man in London.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz15eL0NRd5

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clue Hopper For This Useful Post:

IMO, until further charges are filed with regards to Zahra, the thought of Elisa being charged with "bigamy" is a good way of keeping her in jail, along with the other charges related or unrelated to Zahra.

Same goes with Adam as his charges are "unrelated" to Zahra, and IF Adam violated the terms under the laws of immigration, he could be arrested and sit in jail until LE pulls everything together regarding what happen to Zahra and who did what to Zahra. JMO
    :Banane59: Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

In addition to the possible bigamy threatening AB's immigration status, I also posted a link in the AB immigration status thread last night to an article saying something about his visa possibly not being valid anymore.

it's post #40 here:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=119352&page=2

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 78gidget78 For This Useful Post:

I believe the marriages play a significant role in this case.
    1) If she was legally married to AY @ the time she married AB - the marriage to AB would not be recognized legally. (We have now seen evidence of the divorce filed some 13 months after she married AB in Aussie).
    2) AB would not be able to stay in the US on his Visa over a specific period of time (to my knowledge) - how was he staying here on a work visa? Through being "married" to EB?
    3) Their income level (that has been reported) would have probably qualified them for SSI payments for Zahra and a medical coupon due to her disabilities- however there are many legal factors that would come into play due to their non-citizen status.
    4) To my knowlege - they did not have medical insurance on Zahra - even through the State may have been able to provide coverage for her regardless of her citizen status - had the state been made aware.
    5) Zahra would have had to show immunization records to enroll in school (at least I think). Here's where I think the school tried to help Zahra obtain the hearing aids. I know that most insurances will not cover hearing aids - however for a child I think that would be a significant factor for growth and development - IMO a hearing aid for a child could be seen as medically necessary as the prosthesis.
    6) Since AB had been working in the US - did he obtain a SS card? Would he then qualify for SSI payments for his daughter?
    7) All of the above would be directly related to verifying the marriage was legal.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wenwe4 For This Useful Post:

Pondering Mind is offline here a ponder, there a ponder...everywhere a ponder = ADD
    Over The Hills And Through The Woods..on the corner,S.C..
    I have to ask..If Adam didn't know that EB was still married (hence the brother thing with AY) then could he even be charged with bigamy..or would that not give him grounds for an annulment?

I have no idea..
    ~"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle"~

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pondering Mind For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast