Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15

    The Presence of the Ransom Note

    Hi everyone, I have only just joined but have been reading for a few weeks.

    I hope this is not too repetitive a post. Please if it is, let me know or delete it.

    I'm really hung up on the presence of the ransom note. I have been trying to understand what purpose it served, in relation to the murderer. These are the options as far as I can think:

    1. Intruder - the ransom note is legitimate. Killing JB in the house was not part of the plan, but it happened. Problem - Why did they not take JB's body with them & still collect on the ransom. Why leave behind physical evidence in the form of the ransom note. Once JB was dead, the RN served no purpose other than to potentially incriminate the true murderer.

    2. Intruder - the ransom note was a ruse to divert suspicion to another fictituous intruder. Problem: Why leave a ransom note pointing to an intruder, when you are one. You are placing yourself (as an outsider) into the pool of possible suspects. Why not allow LE to focus almost solely on the Ramsey's, as is highly likely if no ransom note had been left. Again, why leave behind physical evidence, when there is nothing to be gained from it.

    3. Insider - the ransom note was a ruse to divert suspicion to an intruder & remove suspicion from the real murderer. Problem - Leaving of physical evidence. However did this outweigh the fact that without a RN suspicion would be immediately on members of the household.

    I'm interested in anyone else's view as to the purpose of the ransom note. Particularly if anybody has any ideas on how it could benefit an intruder.


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ottavi For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottavi View Post
    Hi everyone, I have only just joined but have been reading for a few weeks.

    I hope this is not too repetitive a post. Please if it is, let me know or delete it.

    I'm really hung up on the presence of the ransom note. I have been trying to understand what purpose it served, in relation to the murderer. These are the options as far as I can think:

    1. Intruder - the ransom note is legitimate. Killing JB in the house was not part of the plan, but it happened. Problem - Why did they not take JB's body with them & still collect on the ransom. Why leave behind physical evidence in the form of the ransom note. Once JB was dead, the RN served no purpose other than to potentially incriminate the true murderer.

    2. Intruder - the ransom note was a ruse to divert suspicion to another fictituous intruder. Problem: Why leave a ransom note pointing to an intruder, when you are one. You are placing yourself (as an outsider) into the pool of possible suspects. Why not allow LE to focus almost solely on the Ramsey's, as is highly likely if no ransom note had been left. Again, why leave behind physical evidence, when there is nothing to be gained from it.

    3. Insider - the ransom note was a ruse to divert suspicion to an intruder & remove suspicion from the real murderer. Problem - Leaving of physical evidence. However did this outweigh the fact that without a RN suspicion would be immediately on members of the household.

    I'm interested in anyone else's view as to the purpose of the ransom note. Particularly if anybody has any ideas on how it could benefit an intruder.
    Can I add another?

    4. Intruder - the RN was designed to divert the attention of the Rs so their daughter was left unprotected while they believed JR's older daughter (in Atlanta?) to be the kidnappers target.
    Last edited by MurriFlower; 11-18-2010 at 08:52 PM.


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    76
    While I'm happy to consider all sorts of possibilities Ottavi I think the best explanation for why there is a ransom note at all is that it was designed to implicate the housekeeper (and her circle). It is not so much what is in the note that indicates this, but where we are told it was found. The housekeeper LHP often left notes at the bottom of the spiral stairs. Patsy said that at first she thought the r.n. was another note from LHP. THAT, for me, is the important clue here. The (unexpected) r.n. stands in for another (expected) note. So the note is part of an attempt to implicate LHP.

    This fits with the placement of the body. When asked who last went into the wine cellar the answer was LHP's husband. And it fits with the placement of Burke's knife near the body. And it fits with the ransom amount - the housekleeper could know about JR's bonus. So JR says "It must have been an insider." The first thing the Ramsey's did was point at the housekeeper. But when that story didn't stick their story changed.

    Why is there a note at all? Because it was designed to point to LHP.

    There are many objections to this scenario though, especially in the content of the note.


  5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Plenum7 For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    649
    I don't think I understand what you mean.
    (Directed at Murri)


  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderllama View Post
    I don't think I understand what you mean.
    (Directed at Murri)
    The RN addresses Mr Ramsey (John) and refers to 'your daughter' (unnamed). If they had been told this soon after putting JBR to bed (presumably safe in her own home), they might have formed the conclusion that it referred to MR having been kidnapped (in Atlanta).


  8. #6
    My opinion is different....
    I believe whether IDI or RDI the ransom note was part of the game,of the twisted fantasy.
    If IDI I don't think it was written because JB was actually about to get kidnapped.
    If RDI I don't believe the note was written after JB's death.I don't believe in the staging.
    I believe it all started with the note either way.IMO the note reveals a state of mind and the writer was trying to deal with issues within his/her mind.I think the writers mind was clouded ,angry and desperate.


  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    .....
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by claudicici View Post
    My opinion is different....
    I believe whether IDI or RDI the ransom note was part of the game,of the twisted fantasy.
    If IDI I don't think it was written because JB was actually about to get kidnapped.
    If RDI I don't believe the note was written after JB's death.I don't believe in the staging.
    I believe it all started with the note either way.IMO the note reveals a state of mind and the writer was trying to deal with issues within his/her mind.I think the writers mind was clouded ,angry and desperate.
    Hiya claudicici.

    Hmmm. So RDI wise you can entertain the possibility of premeditation, that the note could have prepared with JBR's demise as the final outcome?


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpole12 For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    yes,I believe if RDI it was pre meditation.I believe if PR she felt like something she "had" to do,something about her religious thoughts all twisted up and something about abuse.
    JB had to die to be saved.
    If BR it was part of a sick game that got out of hand and may have involved others?
    Jmo...


  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,576
    I believe the note was pure and simple CYA. I don't believe this was perpetrated by a SFF, as they would never admit to the fact they were a small group and I believe that the writer lived in the Ramsey home.


  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SunnieRN For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    732
    Purpose of RN? The only one: 'was a ruse to divert' from the real motive of JBR murder.


  17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OpenMind4U For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by claudicici View Post
    My opinion is different....
    I believe whether IDI or RDI the ransom note was part of the game,of the twisted fantasy.
    If IDI I don't think it was written because JB was actually about to get kidnapped.
    If RDI I don't believe the note was written after JB's death.I don't believe in the staging.
    I believe it all started with the note either way.IMO the note reveals a state of mind and the writer was trying to deal with issues within his/her mind.I think the writers mind was clouded ,angry and desperate.
    I don't believe in a staging so much either,it's way too sick,the garotte gives me the creeps,it's the piece that screams sick puppy to me.
    My problem is,why would a sane parent cover for the sick one?
    Makes me believe they were both in it,religion maybe?JB being safe now,what argument is that?


  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madeleine For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    I don't believe in a staging so much either,it's way too sick,the garotte gives me the creeps,it's the piece that screams sick puppy to me.
    My problem is,why would a sane parent cover for the sick one?
    Makes me believe they were both in it,religion maybe?JB being safe now,what argument is that?
    Hey Madeleine! Good to see you. The sane/sick parent is a good question, but I'm wondering if both of them had their own kind of "sickness", so utimately, they had to cover for each other. I think it boils down to this: no matter how it happened, they would have both had too much explaining to do for it to look innocent. They had to make it look like someone else came in the house that night.
    You know, others have said it (mostly in regards to the rn) but I believe there are lots of parallels to the Zahra Baker case here. Starting with parents that each had their own brand of "sickness".

    ETA: I know the garrote is very sick and twisted (no pun intended), but try to think of other alternatives. They had to have an "obvious" cause of death. Something that when LE looked at her body, the knew immediately what killed her (or thought they did, anyway). That leaves us with some tough questions. Do you think they could have stabbed her repeatedly? This one only leads to another question. Were they smart enough or thinking clearly enough to know that if they stabbed her repeatedly there would not be enough blood to account for it? LE would have known at first glance that this did not kill her. What are some other methods of death that would have been obvious at first glance? I can't think of any more that LE would have seen immediately and that would have meant the killer didn't have to actually "touch" her body to do. Can you think of anything that would have solved the problem at hand?
    Last edited by joeskidbeck; 11-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    "This Time We Get it Right!"

    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
    For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase


  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joeskidbeck For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by joeskidbeck View Post
    Hey Madeleine! Good to see you. The sane/sick parent is a good question, but I'm wondering if both of them had their own kind of "sickness", so utimately, they had to cover for each other. I think it boils down to this: no matter how it happened, they would have both had too much explaining to do for it to look innocent. They had to make it look like someone else came in the house that night.
    You know, others have said it (mostly in regards to the rn) but I believe there are lots of parallels to the Zahra Baker case here. Starting with parents that each had their own brand of "sickness".
    Didn't follow this case,will have to look it up.


  23. The Following User Says Thank You to madeleine For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by joeskidbeck View Post
    ETA: I know the garrote is very sick and twisted (no pun intended), but try to think of other alternatives. They had to have an "obvious" cause of death. Something that when LE looked at her body, the knew immediately what killed her (or thought they did, anyway). That leaves us with some tough questions. Do you think they could have stabbed her repeatedly? This one only leads to another question. Were they smart enough or thinking clearly enough to know that if they stabbed her repeatedly there would not be enough blood to account for it? LE would have known at first glance that this did not kill her. What are some other methods of death that would have been obvious at first glance? I can't think of any more that LE would have seen immediately and that would have meant the killer didn't have to actually "touch" her body to do. Can you think of anything that would have solved the problem at hand?
    Re this scenario
    The head bash would have been enough.IMO
    No need to stage something else.The bad kidnappers hit her head,end of story,kidnapping gone wrong.

    and I still don't think the strangulation was just staging.she was alive when strangled (with what exaclty I have no idea!maybe the cord,maybe something else).i'd rather believe in the overkill scenario,which kinda points more to BR?
    ahhhh,dunno!


  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madeleine For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    reading those old "brother moon" posts I am now almost convinced PR did this and a lot of it has symbolic meaning.It made sense to her.She was God and JB was the sacrificial lamb and at the same time they were still one and will be so for eternity.
    The "sane" one (JR) had to cover for her because he was the abuser.
    JMO JMO JMO but this makes perfect sense to me at the moment.
    I always felt more like BR myself because it seems almost like a horrible,insanely twisted game but reading all of PR's statements again I realize how child like she really was at times.Everything was over the top,over dramatic but at the same time immature...


  27. The Following User Says Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Study of the Ransom Note
    By Ravyn in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  2. My take on the ransom note...
    By JMO8778 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
  3. S.B.T.C. / Ransom Note Merged
    By englishleigh in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM
  4. The ransom note
    By terralee in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
  5. Ransom note...have you ever considered...
    By calus_3 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 03:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •