Thread: Wesley Snipes and Income Tax Evasion

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

Wesley Snipes and Income Tax Evasion

I am surprised there is not a thread on this already. He has killer lawyers-they have kept him out of jail for a really really long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101119/...ipes_tax_trial

"U.S. District Court Judge William Terrell Hodges in Ocala, Fla., rejected a request from the actor's attorneys to review Snipes' sentence and grant a new trial. Snipes has been free on bond for more than two years while appealing.
    "The defendant Snipes had a fair trial; he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his conviction and sentence. ... The time has come for the judgment to be enforced," the judge wrote in his 16-page decision."
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

three years in prison! omg!

if only he had just paid up to begin with ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

Snipes is in Atlanta, preparing to film the movie "Master Daddy."

guess that project will be on hold for awhile

Was it worth it the three years in prison not to pay his taxes?

Some of these stars just think they are above the law.

You do the crime, you have to do the time.

I am satisfied he was punished.

Goz

I don't feel this is fair at all when Charlie Rangle (sp?) and other politicians cheat all the time and then just say - oh I forgot about that year, that income, that property, that contribution...and none of them are doing time.

Wesley is only getting the book thrown at him because he associated himself with some anti-Federal Income Tax people at one time. Did he err in judgement? Probably. But come on. If he is going to pay the back taxes and we know he has the money, then why put him in prison? It makes no sense...it's a victimless crime. Someone is on a power trip or trying to shut people up who complain about our tax system. The IRS is a goon operation when they do stuff like this. Let him pay it and let's move on. Our public officials only get a stern lecture in front of their peers. Geesh.

People: Wesley Snipes headed for prison on tax evasion rap

By Tony Hicks
    Contra Costa Times

Posted: 12/01/2010 04:26:24 PM PST
    Updated: 12/01/2010 04:58:55 PM PST

Actor Wesley Snipes was ordered Wednesday to voluntarily surrender at a federal prison in Pennsylvania next week to start his three-year sentence for failing to pay taxes

The U.S. Marshal's Office ordered Snipes to report to the Federal Correctional Institution McKean in Lewis Run, Pa. by noon Dec. 9.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I don't feel this is fair at all when Charlie Rangle (sp?) and other politicians cheat all the time and then just say - oh I forgot about that year, that income, that property, that contribution...and none of them are doing time.

Wesley is only getting the book thrown at him because he associated himself with some anti-Federal Income Tax people at one time. Did he err in judgement? Probably. But come on. If he is going to pay the back taxes and we know he has the money, then why put him in prison? It makes no sense...it's a victimless crime. Someone is on a power trip or trying to shut people up who complain about our tax system. The IRS is a goon operation when they do stuff like this. Let him pay it and let's move on. Our public officials only get a stern lecture in front of their peers. Geesh.
    The problem Wesley Snipes has is that he jump on board with the 861 Argument people, the group of crazies that believe U.S citizens are exempt from federal income taxes. If he simply didn't pay taxes he probably wouldn't get any jail time. But he didn't pay taxes and tried to use the 861 argument and the government has been working hard to make an example out of anyone doing this to discourage others from doing it.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_protester_861_argument[/ame]