879 users online (188 members and 691 guests)  

Websleuths News

Flying Snakes' Secret Revealed

The snake dangles 49 feet (15 meters) off the ground, tail entwined around a branch. Suddenly, the animal rears up and launches, flinging its body toward the forest floor.

In other reptiles, the leap would be suicidal, or at least an invitation for broken bones. But the snake in question is a Chrysopelea paradisi, one of five related species of tree-dwelling snakes from Southeast and South Asia. When these snakes leap, it's not to nosedive; it's to glide from tree to tree, a feat they can accomplish at distances of at least 79 feet (24 m).

Video and more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s//livescience...ecretrevealed/

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Thanks for posting this. Way cool.

Oh he77 no! There's a snake in that tree...crap, now it's flying!!!!

AAAHHH

I overreact a bit when it comes to snakes.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post

AAAHHH

LOL! Snakes don't bother me too much, but I'm pretty sure a snake flying at me from a tree would cause a similar reaction, lol.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post

AAAHHH

Yer not alone... I freak out at the mere mention of them. LoL Right now I am curled up in a chair with my feet under me... just a reaction to the word snake. Never can tell when that word will call them suckers out to roam around the floor, and I don't want to take a chance... even though I am 20 stories up in a Manhattan hotel. LoL But then again, we are talking about flying snakes.

So what's their secret? Do they swallow air and fart it out like a balloon? Do they have skin pockets to catch air, slowing their decent?
    ... (is it ...The Force?!!!)

I can't click the link; it gives me the slithering willies!

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    So what's their secret? Do they swallow air and fart it out like a balloon? Do they have skin pockets to catch air, slowing their decent?
    ... (is it ...The Force?!!!)

I can't click the link; it gives me the slithering willies!
    I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I would like to know the secret. Maybe we could stop them from flying around. I like the farting theory. lol

It was a combination of the angle in which they fell, combined with them slithering while falling while raising their tails up and down. All of those factors combined gave them enough "lift" to soar for quite some distance.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

justice77Guest
    This is really cool, I never even knew such a thing existed as a flying snake. Animals facinate me so much!!

You had me at "FLYING SNAKES"!!
    George Eliot: "We constantly ask for God's mercy while showing none ourselves..."

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    All I could think about watching it is "PULL" like they would make great skeet shooting targets!

Sorry, I can't stand snakes.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    It was a combination of the angle in which they fell, combined with them slithering while falling while raising their tails up and down. All of those factors combined gave them enough "lift" to soar for quite some distance.
    Actually, that's really pretty cool. I wouldn't want to see one, but how they're able to fly is fascinating. They don't seem aerodynamic, ya know.