1468 users online (297 members and 1171 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Jury selection starts Monday at 10:00. Will there be cameras in the court room?

Jeffs' attorneys told to stay on case

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011...represent-him/

Jeffs' trial scheduled to begin Monday
    By Matthew Waller

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011...-begin-monday/

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby1 View Post
    Jury selection starts Monday at 10:00. Will there be cameras in the court room?
    IS has said they will be reporting on it next week, but i have yet to find anyplace that says there will be cameras

I've heard there won't be cameras there.

I wonder if any members are planning on attending some of the trial?

I saw Beth karas on face book say she will be covering it, so I guess Insessions will cover it.
    IMO

"May you always have LOVE to share,health to spare,and Friends that care."

They are doing updates on HLN and IS. I've heard Mike Watkiss, Beth Karas, and Lindsay Whitehurst so far this morning.

42 of the potential jurors excused this am for hardship, so the rest of the 200 that were called this am are filling out questionaires.

The defense asked for a 180 day continuance this morning, but Judge Walther said no.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyLu View Post
    I've heard there won't be cameras there.

I wonder if any members are planning on attending some of the trial?
    He has sent out an "edict" that they should not attend nor follow anything on the internet about his trial because it's all bogus....

IMO, the legislatures of UT/AZ are major players in the LDS/FLDS game because that's where the laws originate. in UT 80% of the legislators are LDS and they are the grandsons/great-grandsons of old-school polygs. they can't/won't disrespect their heritage by enacting tough laws against polygamy (and making sure that existing laws are being enforced)

each state decides on a code of conduct for its residents which is why laws re alcohol/tobacco vary so much. alcohol/toabcco sales provide mucho dinero to UT so those sales are tolerated

there is no lottery in UT because the LDS church is against it; I can't place an online bet in the Kentucky Derby because the LDS church is against it

polygamy is a reward promised in the LDS afterlife. if the LDS church was truly against polygamy, it wouldn't exist. just like gambling doesn't exist

I hope Texas prosecutors will nail him to the cross. I hope he has to go to prison for the rest of his miserable life and never feels the sun on his face again. He is pure evil.

They are NOT part of the original Church of LDS, or Mormons. The Mormons stopped practicing polygamy over 100 years ago. This Fundamentalist branch is just an offshoot, but nothing like the Mormon churches around here. There is an LDS church not far from where I live, in a nice section of town. It is not a compound, and the members dress and look like you or me. They don't wear those 1890's style dresses or all wear the same (godawful) harido. You wouldn't be able to tell them from a Baptist or Methodist.

^ and all the members in good standing who look just like you or me are promised polygamy as a reward in the afterlife: each worthy male will be given his own planet which he is to populate w/ the plural wives given to him

knowing about this tenet of mainstream mormonism helps to explain why the FLDS exists w/ infrequent interference from LE: whether by being born to it or by conversion to it, there is a pervasive mindset in favor of polygamy. for many members, it's their past (what their ancestors did) and for all members, it's their future (their goal in the afterlife)

and actually, the FLDS is living the original teachings and the current mainstream LDS church is an offshoot living by an alteration of the original tenets of Joseph Smith. polygamy was renounced solely for political reasons after a nearly 40-year battle to gain Statehood, leaving us w/ a living/breathing remnant of what happens when you mix politics and religion

one sect promotes better PR than the other one, is all

Defense: Polygamist leaders' religious rights were violated

While stating his case, Walpole gave the first public hint of Jeffs' planned defense, saying "my client's right to practice religion as he sees fit is in jeopardy."

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...d-1654906.html

Quote Originally Posted by watergirl View Post
    Defense: Polygamist leaders' religious rights were violated

While stating his case, Walpole gave the first public hint of Jeffs' planned defense, saying "my client's right to practice religion as he sees fit is in jeopardy."

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...d-1654906.html
    that argument is so irritating.

their religion says nothing about what age the wife should be when they marry them. there's no reason they couldn't marry an 18 year old, instead of a 12 or 15 year old.

Jury selection continues in polygamist leader's trial

http://www.azfamily.com/video/?id=126174353&sec=507207

Mike Watkiss reporting: jury selection continues. up also this week is a motion for change of venue, and a motion for suppression of evidence....he says there is possibly an audio recording of one of the sexual assaults (around the 2:00 mark)

lwhitehurst Lindsay Whitehurst
    Fascinating, contentious morning of jury selection. Defense asking long involved questions, prosecution objecting #WarrenJeffs #polygamy
    12 minutes ago

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast